HR54 - 4K Genie FIRST LOOK

Status
Please reply by conversation.
While the alpha boxes were marked swm-7 the firmware only allowed 5 to be used. And all the testers were left in the dark as to why. Lg was officially announced as the next 4k partner for directv. Then they pulled support due to the way they were trying to do rvu over an app. We never got word on it coming back. As an avid lg fan-kitty (fanboy) and owning 4... this really pissed me off... but whatcha gonna do. Id be ok with swapping my hr44 to a 54 and moving it to my bedroom, putting the c61k in my living room and moving the hr24 in my bedroom to my sisters room, who has a mirror from my daughters room now. Assuming i can get human resources to approve 5tvs on my account

I find that more disturbing. If the RVU Alliance doesn't have all their members in accord, the future of RVU would be rather bleak.

I find that more disturbing. If the RVU Alliance doesn't have all their members in accord, the future of RVU would be rather bleak.

Its not the alliance, its DirecTV unfortunately. The real problem is the app didn't show up on the majority of tvs it was intended too, which was an LG issue. However it was LG that decided to go app based and not source based due to hardware. They never built the functionality into any of their tvs, then tried to run a software version of it. I personally never installed a Toshibia RVU tv, and I don't even know anyone that saw an order for an LG one. While I'm not even a tech anymore, so I don't see this stuff in the field I am pretty sure that directv is going to be moving away from RVU Client TVs, but I have no basis other than opinion at this time.

Its not the alliance, its DirecTV unfortunately. The real problem is the app didn't show up on the majority of tvs it was intended too, which was an LG issue. However it was LG that decided to go app based and not source based due to hardware. They never built the functionality into any of their tvs, then tried to run a software version of it. I personally never installed a Toshibia RVU tv, and I don't even know anyone that saw an order for an LG one. While I'm not even a tech anymore, so I don't see this stuff in the field I am pretty sure that directv is going to be moving away from RVU Client TVs, but I have no basis other than opinion at this time.
Noticed that it does not support caller id function. So can keep the HR54. Never want one. Caller id valuable tool to keep from answering all the telemarketing calls.

I have the HR44-500 and it is connected to a phone line, but the caller ID no longer works. It worked for a long time but the last few days it just doesn't pop up anymore. Maybe like MediaShare it's gone by the wayside, which would be very disappointing. But looks like they are cutting costs on the modem hardware in future set tops so maybe we just have to live with it. Makes me contemplate cable because their triple play has caller ID on screen.

The 2015 Sony 4K TV's have the built in RVU - but I haven't seen it working on anybody's set as of yet

Picture attached

Attachments

• rvu sony.jpg
    rvu sony.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 660
Picture attached

That's cool! I'm thinking about switching back over to Direct from Dish and that's one thing I was wondering about. I know Sony 4K Tvs can do this which Sony is usually what I buy. But I'm thinking about going with Samsung this time around and if I'm not mistaken I think the Samsung 4K Tvs have this feature as well. :)

I am not sure if the Sony's support 4K via RVU. At the moment only Samsung does. And I know at CES it was announced that LG would have it some time later this year. But I don't remember hearing about Sony.

I am not sure if the Sony's support 4K via RVU. At the moment only Samsung does. And I know at CES it was announced that LG would have it some time later this year. But I don't remember hearing about Sony.

Oh ok.. Yeah I thought Samsung did that was one of the reason I was looking at them and their 4K TV's seem to be really sharp as well I'm due for a TV upgrade. Heck I'm actually going to upgrade my main tv before my Desktop PC which it's usually the other way around.:) Hmm I wonder how well it works with the Samsung Models that is the RVU?? :)

Scott, Correction there is VOD content and that's available to anyone now with an HR44 and above. You have to have a Samsung TV that is capable of doing 4k RVU in order to watch it. The content has to be downloaded to the Genie first, then you can stream it via RVU to your 4k set. The C61K, when that will come out later will allow this VOD content to go to any 4k tv as well as live 4k when that is launched later on.
Correction, the HR34 is also able to do 4K via RVU TV

Reactions: goaliebob99
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)