Hr54 4K

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
I am hearing that could be a year and a half to two years away. Thus the reason why it launched now.

Well if that is true......They should of come up with a better plan?.....This whole paying for an extra sub should be embarrassing, and probably will lose some more customers over it.

2 years....LOL.....they work fast.....ohy

Not yet, but I do believe we will see somewithin the next few month. ;)

was expecting that :)

as it sits the hopper 3 appears to be a far better choice than the hr54

people will switch once content starts rolling out

Directv has dropped the ball, for now

Well if that is true......They should of come up with a better plan?.....This whole paying for an extra sub should be embarrassing, and probably will lose some more customers over it.

2 years....LOL.....they work fast.....ohy
Though as I wrote on dbstalk.com, as embarrassing as it may seem. Given the way the equipment is designed and the current pricing structure in place long before 4K was launched. DIRECTV may not have any other fair choice than to offer 4K service the way they are now.

http://dbstalk.com/index.php?/topic/221321-Directv-4K-Channel?#entry3419151

Sent from my SGH-M819N using Tapatalk

Thanks for link.....I completely disagree with your thinking on fair......
No matter how you slice it, if you want to upgrade to 4k unless you have a place for that HR54 other than by your main 4k tv you pay for another TV that you dont use.....

If after all there meetings and discussions....The minds at be thought charging extra, was a solution to there problems...
Maybe they should of thought of just charging more for the privilege?

What is obvious, is they didnt really think this one through, and it will hurt them......If they said something to "fix" there problem that they created was around the corner, mid summer, hell next winter it might make sense?.....But a fix years away?....I hope someone lost there job over this.....?

Thanks for link.....I completely disagree with your thinking on fair......
No matter how you slice it, if you want to upgrade to 4k unless you have a place for that HR54 other than by your main 4k tv you pay for another TV that you dont use.....

But what is to prevent you, or what assurances does DIRECTV really have that you won't move the HR54 to another TV addition at some point later unbeknownst to them. So you're now getting two independent TV outlets for the price of one whereas other non-4K subs have to pay the monthly fee for every receiver outlet?

Last edited:
I guess I'm going back over to Dish and view the Hopper 3. I'm really not that much enthralled with 4K at this time. I do believe my Sony 4K has a lot better picture (resolution, color, contrast) when compared to my older non-4K Sony. Some of that might be due to the higher resolution and the upscale the TV does with content received, some is probably due to a better processor, and some do to the Triluminous display; most likely all of the above. But after watching hours of 4K I really see no unique difference between the two in the normal sitting position. The biggest change I can notice is the HDR content, available only on one show on Netflix; now what is impressive.

Was sort of hoping that I could just get 4K without having to drive up my internet usage every month.

But pricing is sort of throwing Direct under the bus. I didn't mind the idea of possible paying five or six bucks more after the first year of the contract for stations I want to watch, but having to pay for some unit for 4K sounds a bit more than I care to do. Who knows what will happen with Dish in the future. They might require another dish on your roof to see true 4K content in the future...who knows.

Thanks to all that helped answer my numerous questions.

But what is to prevent you, or what assurances does DIRECTV really have that you won't move the HR54 to another TV addition at some point later unbeknownst to them. So you're now getting two independent TV outlets for the price of one whereas other non-4K subs have to pay the monthly fee for every receiver outlet?

That is one hell a, stretch!...............What if I shared receivers with my neighbor? Would that not be against there rules? What if I mirrored one of my bedroom receivers?....what id, what if?

Your making excuses for a very , very poorly planned out decision and implementation!

Have to give credit to dish.....Looks as if they thought it through.....quite ingenues?...or common sense? Better engineering?....Less yes men? who know.....

Its obvious Direct dropped the ball right on there own foot!

I am hearing that could be a year and a half to two years away. Thus the reason why it launched now.

It's likely that the merger with AT&T is the monkey wrench in the works. Dealing with the technical aspects of the merger came at the time they should have been producing a robust 4k replacement for the Genie. The HR54 and RVU/C61 appears to be a cobbled together temporary system to market 4k.

That is one hell a, stretch!...............What if I shared receivers with my neighbor? Would that not be against there rules? What if I mirrored one of my bedroom receivers?....what id, what if?

Your making excuses for a very , very poorly planned out decision and implementation!

Have to give credit to dish.....Looks as if they thought it through.....quite ingenues?...or common sense? Better engineering?....Less yes men? who know.....

Its obvious Direct dropped the ball right on there own foot!
And had dish come out with thiers first as D* was working on a better solution, you all would be bitching that D* was still not doing what they should.
It never ends with some of you guys.

A few weeks ago people were saying, when's dish coming out with something ...
While I am gonna wait on the "All in one" recvr when D* brings one out, I don't look at it as D* loses ...
First of all, it's not a race, second, I'd rather have a recvr that's gonna do everything needed.
I too don't care for the 54/61 idea, but itsv
The way I understand it, with the 54 you can watch downloaded 4k, but not "Live"
With the C61K you can do both.
See post 95 for more details.

Another way to look at it is the only way the 54/61 combo is bad is if someone only has one TV. For a new customer You can't just have a Genie only you have to have a client box anyway right?

Another way to look at it is the only way the 54/61 combo is bad is if someone only has one TV. For a new customer You can't just have a Genie only you have to have a client box anyway right?
or if they have a genie and the other units are hr24/h24/h25, ect
you do not have to have a client
i dont, and i really dont want one

Reactions: Jimbo
or if they have a genie and the other units are hr24/h24/h25, ect
you do not have to have a client
i dont, and i really dont want one
Isn't that the way DTV is going anyway to a Server/Client based system? I just hope if they go that way that they will still allow you to use the older equipment with it. Could they say if you want the new server you only can have clients with it?

Isn't that the way DTV is going anyway to a Server/Client based system? I just hope if they go that way that they will still allow you to use the older equipment with it. Could they say if you want the new server you only can have clients with it?

they could say that, dish did with the hopper
but unless it has enough tuners to make it viable, i wont have it

Sometimes I like the Server/Client model because then maybe DTV would let you use your own clients. Then that way maybe DTV would also let you use a PC, PS4 or XBOX One? However if the main server goes down you are screwed.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)