Hr54 4K

Status
Please reply by conversation.
That is one hell a, stretch!...............What if I shared receivers with my neighbor? Would that not be against there rules? What if I mirrored one of my bedroom receivers?....what id, what if?

Your making excuses for a very , very poorly planned out decision and implementation!

Have to give credit to dish.....Looks as if they thought it through.....quite ingenues?...or common sense? Better engineering?....Less yes men? who know.....

Its obvious Direct dropped the ball right on there own foot!
Even if there are other ways to cheat the system that doesn't mean that DIRECTV still won't try and plug potential loopholes this way wherever they can.

(BTW, mirroring is not against DIRECTV's TOS since it's not an independent programming outlet, but only a "mirror" or duplication of a receiver's output at another location as long as that location is in the same residence).

And as for making excuses for DIRECTV, I actually have problems with both provider's implementation of 4K service. DIRECTV's customer premises equipment is confusing and awkward even without the double charge by the Genie not being able to output 4K locally. But I love the way DIRECTV has planned for adequate satellite bandwidth with the new Reverse Band.

While Dish has a superior platform for receiving 4K for now with the H3. To me they have done poor spectrum planning by remaining solely with the old legacy band DBS Ku band over the years to where now they have way insufficient bandwidth to implement 4K linear broadcasting to any worthwhile extent.

Sent from my SGH-M819N using Tapatalk

Reactions: BBruin66
I also forgot to ask is AT&T still going make their DSL Modem/Router combos? Or will DTV take over that and built that into the Central Hub Gateway/Server?

If I get the hr54 and two c61k's and want them wireless will they still do 4k? Also will directv install a router or is that built into the hr54?

If I get the hr54 and two c61k's and want them wireless will they still do 4k? Also will directv install a router or is that built into the hr54?
There is no wireless version of the C61K. It is coax connected only.

No, the HR54 nor any other Genie model contains a router.

And also no, "ATT" actually, does not install routers as part of the DIRECTV service, but does as a part of their U-verse internet, where it is integrated into the VDSL modem gateway.

Reactions: AZ.
Even if there are other ways to cheat the system that doesn't mean that DIRECTV still won't try and plug potential loopholes this way wherever they can.

(BTW, mirroring is not against DIRECTV's TOS since it's not an independent programming outlet, but only a "mirror" or duplication of a receiver's output at another location as long as that location is in the same residence).

And as for making excuses for DIRECTV, I actually have problems with both provider's implementation of 4K service. DIRECTV's customer premises equipment is confusing and awkward even without the double charge by the Genie not being able to output 4K locally. But I love the way DIRECTV has planned for adequate satellite bandwidth with the new Reverse Band.

While Dish has a superior platform for receiving 4K for now with the H3. To me they have done poor spectrum planning by remaining solely with the old legacy band DBS Ku band over the years to where now they have way insufficient bandwidth to implement 4K linear broadcasting to any worthwhile extent.

I agree, while Dish has the better (much better?) STB, they don't have the actual thing that everybody wants, live 4k.

I've gotten tired of Dish's 1440x1080p overly compressed signal and lack of CSNNE. Getting Direct tomorrow. HR54, two C61Ks :)

If you are set with your viewing distance being on the edge of 1080, and lack of RSNs, Hopper 3 is the obvious choice.

and remember even if you have 2 c61k's you can only watch 1 4k thing at a time..........

Oh, so DTV does have another model coming out after the HR-54? Maybe an HR-64 that would tie the two systems together? Then after that model would come the Central Hub Gateway?
Theres ALWAYS room for another recvr ... anything is possible down the line.

Thanks very much to everyone who replied to my earlier questions about the interrelation between RVU and A/V receivers. In the event, I decided to go with the best sound bar offered by Samsung in concert with the purchase of a KS9500. The HR54 install is scheduled for next week.

Please forgive another question: one respondent noted his installer felt compelled to interpose a C61k client between the HR54 and TV despite the fact the latter was RVU capable. It is my understanding an Ethernet connection between the HR54 or router and RVU TV will permit viewing of 4k/HDR programming, initially from Netflix, via the TV’s smart apps. If my installer for some reason deemed it necessary to repeat the behavior manifested in the cited gentleman’s case, would that obviate watching HDR shows (based on my current assumption this client cannot pass through an HDR signal)?

A few other points some might find of interest. When scheduling the HR 54 install, the CSR (a DirecTV employee rather than a contractor) said the remote would prove more responsive if the C61k were employed. He also commented that, during a company meeting a few months ago, he was apprised there would be as many as 50 4k channels by the end of the year (although, absent a dramatic upsurge of 4k content providers in the near term, it is hard to imagine what most would furnish beyond PPV). Finally, it was my understanding an HDMI 2.0a cable was required to transmit HDR offerings. After consulting his notes, a rep at Crutchfield declared a 2.0 cable would suffice if less than ten feet in length and possessing 18Gbps bandwidth.

...Please forgive another question: one respondent noted his installer felt compelled to interpose a C61k client between the HR54 and TV despite the fact the latter was RVU capable. It is my understanding an Ethernet connection between the HR54 or router and RVU TV will permit viewing of 4k/HDR programming, initially from Netflix, via the TV’s smart apps. If my installer for some reason deemed it necessary to repeat the behavior manifested in the cited gentleman’s case, would that obviate watching HDR shows (based on my current assumption this client cannot pass through an HDR signal)?...

To use the TV's Netflix App, it would make more sense to connect the TV directly to the Ethernet network via wire or wireless. Why go through any satellite box for a TV app? Who cares if the client can't "pass through".

Actually, when accessing NF, AP, Hulu, or other OTT streaming services from TV apps, the data does not "pass through" the C61K.

If the TV is connected to the coax (MoCA) network it will bypass the C61K altogether at the SWiM splitter point and send and receive ethernet data directly with the Genie or a CCK installed somewhere which bridges to the home ethernet network/router and then to the internet.

If the TV is connected by ethernet directly, then it goes via the home network/router to the internet for OTT services.

Thanks very much to everyone who replied to my earlier questions about the interrelation between RVU and A/V receivers. In the event, I decided to go with the best sound bar offered by Samsung in concert with the purchase of a KS9500. The HR54 install is scheduled for next week.

Please forgive another question: one respondent noted his installer felt compelled to interpose a C61k client between the HR54 and TV despite the fact the latter was RVU capable. It is my understanding an Ethernet connection between the HR54 or router and RVU TV will permit viewing of 4k/HDR programming, initially from Netflix, via the TV’s smart apps. If my installer for some reason deemed it necessary to repeat the behavior manifested in the cited gentleman’s case, would that obviate watching HDR shows (based on my current assumption this client cannot pass through an HDR signal)?

A few other points some might find of interest. When scheduling the HR 54 install, the CSR (a DirecTV employee rather than a contractor) said the remote would prove more responsive if the C61k were employed. He also commented that, during a company meeting a few months ago, he was apprised there would be as many as 50 4k channels by the end of the year (although, absent a dramatic upsurge of 4k content providers in the near term, it is hard to imagine what most would furnish beyond PPV). Finally, it was my understanding an HDMI 2.0a cable was required to transmit HDR offerings. After consulting his notes, a rep at Crutchfield declared a 2.0 cable would suffice if less than ten feet in length and possessing 18Gbps bandwidth.
There have been reports that Samsung RVU has slower response than a C64 client.
Directv has the capability of 50 4K channels presently. As you correctly surmised, there isn't the programming available to fill those slots at this time.
As for the HDMI cable, I suggest you read this short article. http://blog.solidsignal.com/content.php/5452-NICE-AND-EASY-Do-you-need-a-special-HDMI-cable-for-4K

Recently had the HR54/reverse-band LNB install. It eventually required three AT&T/DirecTV techs to accomplish. They all were extremely pleasant and wanted to ensure I had a good experience but only one earlier had addressed a like task.

In the event, one of my two 4k RVU TV’s was connected without use of a C61k; the other required the client for the curious -- to me, at any rate -- reason the 2016 Samsung KS9500 has not yet been validated by DirecTV as compliant with its RVU requirements (at least that’s my understanding – the phrase employed was “it couldn’t be provisioned.”) According to the techs this limitation solely flowed from the fact it’s a brand-new model rather than any inherent problem with its RVU capability.

This, in turn, compelled use of the last free HDMI port on the TV (among the other components in my “home theater” are a 4k Blu-ray player and Comcast X1 box). Consequently, I could not connect a Roku 4, though a separate Roku 4 is linked to my 2015 Samsung JS8500. Once the KS9500 is “blessed” by DirecTV, I will request the C61k client be removed.

Two other minor issues: the lettering in the guide is much lighter than was the case with my HR 24 and HR 21; the remote is slightly less responsive on the TV lacking the C61k.

Conversely, I thoroughly am pleased with the quality of the picture on channels 104 and 106. Indeed, I was so taken by the crispness of the images during the Yankees game I asked my wife to view the TV as well; she also was impressed. As a result, I unhesitatingly recommend that anyone contemplating near-term implementation of DirecTV’s 4k system should consummate that arrangement. Presumably, one’s enjoyment only will grow as more non-PPV 4k channels are added over time.

I sometimes think it would be cool to have AT&T combine their UVerse RG and the Whole Home HD DVR that would output to 4k over HDMI. However what happens when one part of it breaks?

Last edited:
My 4k setup was working fine the last few days – reflected in my last post, which was highly complementary of its picture quality – but stopped functioning Sunday evening (not recognizing the RVU in my JS8500, for example).

To say I’m technologically challenged is an understatement but the problem was resolved only after unplugging/powering up and disconnecting/re-connecting every system element, including two DECAs in the room where the JS8500 resides. In particular, removing the power cord (rather than an RBR) of the HR54 and waiting 15 to 30 minutes before accessing the TV proved key. This time period permitted it, among other things, to recognize there was an active internet connection. I also disabled the HR54’s sleep mode, which had presented itself after four hours of inactivity.

If this recurs and a simple HR54 power down/power up doesn’t resolve the problem, it’s time for another tech vehicle rollout. But as a 21-year, Premier tier, multiple sport package and protection plan customer, I won’t feel much guilt. Moreover, I’m way beyond the limit of my knowledge envelope on these matters, in dramatic contrast to many other posters on satelliteguys and like sites.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)