HR54 ethernet port

Status
Please reply by conversation.

gopcs

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 27, 2008
Switched from Dish to DirecTV yesterday. The HR54 receiver was installed.
I had the Ethernet cable ready for the installer to plug it in. It had been on the Dish Hopper. Long after the installer left, I noticed that he didn't plug the Ethernet cable in to the Genie. Also, in the basement next to the splitter, he installed a power supply that has an Ethernet cable going to my Router. Does this connection eliminate the need for the Ethernet cable to the Genie?
Anyway, I plugged the Ethernet cable into the Genie last night, and couldn't tell any difference. I removed it today at lunch. Should I leave it unplugged?
Thanks.

The other device is called a broadband deca, it is what connects your genie to the Internet. I advise that you disconnect the ethernet cable, having two Internet connections will cause you issues. Not to mention the direct ethernet connection is not supported by directv.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Reactions: gopcs
DirecTV used the connection method they installed to support all DirecTV receivers in your setup.

If they had not installed that device you could have used the ethernet directly to the receiver, but it is not their preferred setup.

As mentioned above, I would remove the ethernet cable and reboot your receiver.

Reactions: gopcs
The HR54 receiver can get the ethernet signal over the coax line (DECA). There should be a box near your router that supplies the ethernet from the router sending it on to the receivers at a RF signal splitter. The newest receivers split off the rf and ethernet signal internally. Older ones require a splitter added to the back of the receiver to perform this function.

Switched from Dish to DirecTV yesterday. The HR54 receiver was installed.
I had the Ethernet cable ready for the installer to plug it in. It had been on the Dish Hopper. Long after the installer left, I noticed that he didn't plug the Ethernet cable in to the Genie. Also, in the basement next to the splitter, he installed a power supply that has an Ethernet cable going to my Router. Does this connection eliminate the need for the Ethernet cable to the Genie?
Anyway, I plugged the Ethernet cable into the Genie last night, and couldn't tell any difference. I removed it today at lunch. Should I leave it unplugged?
Thanks.
That "power supply" which is called a BroadBand DECA as mentioned above, is what is supplying Internet to your DirecTV system. This is actually a better connection method as compared to connecting the Genie directly specially if you have other receivers or DVRs in the system because it does not relies on the Genie working to supply the connection.

My HR 34 has DECA builtin eliminating the need for a DECA module. I have my 34 connected to my router via Ethernet. One H24 via via coax, and one HR24 via a coax with DECA module to a BD Player via Ethernet to get it on line . All works fine. You could Ethernet a whole house with DECA's if you wanted. Only issue is that it is slower.

Does a 54 not have DECA built in?

This DBS Talk thread has a lot of information regarding Broadband Ethernet.

My HR 34 has DECA builtin eliminating the need for a DECA module. I have my 34 connected to my router via Ethernet. One H24 via via coax, and one HR24 via a coax with DECA module to a BD Player via Ethernet to get it on line . All works fine. You could Ethernet a whole house with DECA's if you wanted. Only issue is that it is slower.

Yes they do, but as it has been said already, DirecTV policy is to use a BroadBand DECA. Using a direct connection is fine as well, as long as the Briadband DECA is removed.

Just a note of clarification;

All DIRECTV receivers since the H/HR24s are MoCA capable and thereby have a type of internal DECA. However, not until the Genie (except for the H44 Genie lite) was the ethernet side of the internal DECA bridge accessible through an external ethernet port.

Sent from my SGH-M819N using Tapatalk

When my installer installed my DirecTV system he initially set it up using WiFi. I later converted it over to use the Ethernet cable that I had waiting for it which I simply plugged into the back of my HR44. I honestly want as few devices on wireless as I can. There's so many wireless access points in my area that wireless throughput is garbage.

When my installer installed my DirecTV system he initially set it up using WiFi. I later converted it over to use the Ethernet cable that I had waiting for it which I simply plugged into the back of my HR44. I honestly want as few devices on wireless as I can. There's so many wireless access points in my area that wireless throughput is garbage.
Wow. .. even on the 5 GHz band as well?

Sent from my SGH-M819N using Tapatalk

Never tried 5 GHz. I'll have to take a look at the spectrum usage in the 5 GHz range. I know that the 2.4 GHz range is beyond overcrowded in my neighborhood.

Back when I had Dish I had an ethernet cable run to all four boxes. When I switched to a DirecTV wholehome set up I of course didn't need it with the DECA system. But, I left the cables there just in case. Last week I was able to put them to good use again. Upgraded 3 of our TV's, and while it wasn't the primary selling point, they are all Smart TV's. Rather than use the wireless capability of the TV's, I plugged in the cables which were there anyway. The best thing about it may have been that I didn't have to type in my password 3 times. (Not really, the best thing is that it's a more stable connection.)

Interestingly, I use the Ethernet port on my DVR to provide wired Ethernet to my XBOX One console. I found that the Ethernet passes through the system. You could also use it to connect an access point or switch as long as the exterior DECA is utilized. My two cents...

Interestingly, I use the Ethernet port on my DVR to provide wired Ethernet to my XBOX One console. I found that the Ethernet passes through the system. You could also use it to connect an access point or switch as long as the exterior DECA is utilized. My two cents...

Wow

Didn't know that

Wish they would put an eithernet port on the clients

So, just to confirm, I could switch my HR54 to use the ethernet port instead of Wi-Fi? I too would prefer to reduce the number of wi-fi connections in my home.

Are you saying one can have the DVR connect wirelessly to your router, and then hang a wired device off of the DVR? (if so, which gizmo is doing the DHCP?)

Status
Please reply by conversation.