HS-17 Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.
It;s still against the terms of service, but DirecTV has turned a bind eye to this for a long time.
So they arbitrarily enforce it ?

That's ok, they are implementing it when they decide to force the HS17 on people ... they are not yet, but they will start pushing it ...

Hopefully they are forced to look at that and maybe change it, or people will be leaving ...

Reactions: littlecloud319
So they arbitrarily enforce it ?

That's ok, they are implementing it when they decide to force the HS17 on people ... they are not yet, but they will start pushing it ...

Hopefully they are forced to look at that and maybe change it, or people will be leaving ...

Yes, they haven't enforced it for a long time. But as you say, the HS17 policy will enforce it. And yes, I thinkl a lot of people will leave.

... My understanding of the situation is that multiple DVRs isn't the problem it's having multiple servers on the same network,
that is to say "Genies" (be they 44s or 54s), that messes everything up. The Genie II (HS-17) is basically just a headless 54
(won't feed a tv directly) that will support more clients and has the wireless video bridge built in .... that's about it.

As far as having additional servers, dishes, etc for campers or vacation homes I don't see it being any more of a problem than
it's ever been other than DTV really wanting that to be considered another account.

As far as keeping an HR-24 in the mix with any Genie (HS-17, HR-44, HR-54) there's no reason I can think of why that wouldn't work.
You might want to check your LNB to see that it's a reverse band 3, because you're at the limit of a normal 3.
It should say 3DR2RB instead of SL3S.

... My understanding of the situation is that multiple DVRs isn't the problem it's having multiple servers on the same network,
that is to say "Genies" (be they 44s or 54s), that messes everything up. The Genie II (HS-17) is basically just a headless 54
(won't feed a tv directly) that will support more clients and has the wireless video bridge built in .... that's about it.

As far as having additional servers, dishes, etc for campers or vacation homes I don't see it being any more of a problem than
it's ever been other than DTV really wanting that to be considered another account.

As far as keeping an HR-24 in the mix with any Genie (HS-17, HR-44, HR-54) there's no reason I can think of why that wouldn't work.
You might want to check your LNB to see that it's a reverse band 3, because you're at the limit of a normal 3.
It should say 3DR2RB instead of SL3S.
Except as of now, you can't have both.

One is a showroom box. Our shop is next door to my home, and share the dish. The 2 Genies work great on the same network.

One is a showroom box. Our shop is next door to my home, and share the dish. The 2 Genies work great on the same network.
But how well do they work with clients remaining connected to the correct Genie server which is where I understand the problem comes in with having two Genies.

Particularly after a reboot of one or both.

The clients become confused and disconnect then may try to re-connect to the wrong server. And thus end up not connecting to either one.

If YES matters, your stuck with DTV's rules. With the Hopper3 you can have 211/Wally on the account for tailgating/cabin. An external HD can be added for DVR function.
That would be like asking to m activate an H24 for camping use, that's like 5 generations old.
I would not do it if I could not at least keep up with the times recvr wise in the rv.

But how well do they work with clients remaining connected to the correct Genie server which is where I understand the problem comes in with having two Genies.

The clients become confused and disconnect then may try to re-connect to the wrong server. And thus end up not connecting to either one.
Heck, I don't even want to use them on the same network and can't get one ... at least according to thier rules.
I would put the other one in the MH.

That would be like asking to m activate an H24 for camping use, that's like 5 generations old.
I would not do it if I could not at least keep up with the times recvr wise in the rv.
While I'm certainly not up to date with all the latest on DISH stuff, I think the "211/Wally" is actually a recent revision of its older predecessor the "211z." Which can even work together with a H3.

Solid Signal Blog - NICE AND EASY: Can you use a Wally receiver with an older dish?

So in fairness to DISH, I don't think your old DIRECTV H24 comparison example fits here.

Hey, let's just face it ....

DISH has clearly got DIRECTV's HS17 beat in this area right now with the Wally, by DIRECTV offering nothing comparable and allowing none other than clients on the same account.

That may be the case. I don't have any clients on my system, all are dvr's or receivers. I may add a client just to see what happens.

If YES matters, your stuck with DTV's rules. With the Hopper3 you can have 211/Wally on the account for tailgating/cabin. An external HD can be added for DVR function.
I'll turn that around. If you want better equipment, you are stuck without the best programming. The equipment isn't nearly enough better to justify not having the best programming.

I'll turn that around. If you want better equipment, you are stuck without the best programming. The equipment isn't nearly enough better to justify not having the best programming.
100% agree.. I love the Tivo Bolt and the mini.. However that means i need to use my cable company which sucks

Yep. I really do prefer the DirecTV channel packages and the Dish or Tivo hardware/software platforms.

Yep. I really do prefer the DirecTV channel packages and the Dish or Tivo hardware/software platforms.

Wish Dish will get on with their packages, but it's really hard to pass up directv with all their great retention offers, free St almost every year and of course $25 credit for wireless customers and free hbo...

That should be no problem. At Dish, with multiple Hoppers (servers to Joeys), you can link the any of the Joeys to one or the other Hopper. You can see and play all recordings but can only set timers on the linked Hopper. Rebooting a Hopper only affects the linked Joeys.

While I'm certainly not up to date with all the latest on DISH stuff, I think the "211/Wally" is actually a recent revision of its older predecessor the "211z." Which can even work together with a H3.

Solid Signal Blog - NICE AND EASY: Can you use a Wally receiver with an older dish?

So in fairness to DISH, I don't think your old DIRECTV H24 comparison example fits here.

Hey, let's just face it ....

DISH has clearly got DIRECTV's HS17 beat in this area right now with the Wally, by DIRECTV offering nothing comparable and allowing none other than clients on the same account.
My bad, I saw the 211 mentioned and thought it was the same as the old ones they use to have.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts