HS 17

Ok thanks for all the info. I have 5 tv to hook up. Right now I have the original genie with 4 mini one that is 4K. Just need more turners I run into all turners being being tie up and not being able to change the channel to watchlive tv while some things are being recorded for the wife.
one thing to consider. if the main box goes down everything goes down with it!!! unlike the setup you have now one box breaks not everything goes down!!!

Reactions: Jimbo
I was referring to only being able to use like 3 clients at any given time, regardless of how many you may have.

As for the Genie 2, if you don't already have HR series recvrs that your using, it will be fine ...if you do, you have to forfeit the HR series to go to the HS 17 Genie line of servers.

Reactions: krynn
I was referring to only being able to use like 3 clients at any given time, regardless of how many you may have.

As for the Genie 2, if you don't already have HR series recvrs that your using, it will be fine ...if you do, you have to forfeit the HR series to go to the HS 17 Genie line of servers.
so to say even though the genies allow upto 8 mini's you can only use 3???

so to say even though the genies allow upto 8 mini's you can only use 3???
You can use 8 tuners ...

This is where I was saying, hopefully someone else will jump in ... I know you can't use 8 clients all at once.

I thought the Genies had 5 tuners (hr44 and 54s) and the HS17 I think has 7, but that may be tied to the 4k situation and not accessible if your not doing a 4k item ...

You can use 8 tuners ...

This is where I was saying, hopefully someone else will jump in ... I know you can't use 8 clients all at once.

I thought the Genies had 5 tuners (hr44 and 54s) and the HS17 I think has 7, but that may be tied to the 4k situation and not accessible if your not doing a 4k item ...
i just how many 4k streams the geine and genie 2 can do..

i just how many 4k streams the geine and genie 2 can do..
Genie, 1 stream of 4k (HR44/54)
Genie 2, 2 streams of 4k (HS17)

Remember, theres not really all that much on in 4k so far.

Streaming 4k is where most of it is, but that wouldn't have anything to do with D*.

Streaming 4k is where most of it is, but that wouldn't have anything to do with D*.
well i just read somewhere that you can have all the genie mini's you want but you can only watch 3 at a time.. it would be nice if someone chimed in on this

The HR44 Genie doesn't do 4k.

Reactions: krynn and AZ.
The HR44 Genie doesn't do 4k.
Your right ....
Scratch the HR44 off that list.

They more than likely don't give them out anymore anyways, but I stand corrected.

Chip,
Can you confirm the only 3 clients can be used at 1 time ... was that correct, its been a long time since I thought about that.

Your right ....
Scratch the HR44 off that list.

They more than likely don't give them out anymore anyways, but I stand corrected.

Chip,
Can you confirm the only 3 clients can be used at 1 time ... was that correct, its been a long time since I thought about that.

HS17 can use 7 clients at once. I think HR34/44/54 were limited to only three clients watching at once because two tuners were reserved for the HR (one for its output and one to allow picture in picture)

HS17 can use 7 clients at once. I think HR34/44/54 were limited to only three clients watching at once because two tuners were reserved for the HR (one for its output and one to allow picture in picture)
So, you can have 7 different clients with different things going on ....

Thanks for confirming that, I knew you couldn't with the HR54s.

You can use as many clients as you want, but only three available with the HR34/44/54. Seven with the HS17.

You can use as many clients as you want, but only three available with the HR34/44/54. Seven with the HS17.

"As many as you want"? Pretty sure I saw somewhere that the HS17 could only have 8 attached clients, even if you turn off a couple of them you can't make a 9th work. Not sure about the HR44/HR54.

Could be a limit of eight, but the way I remember it you can connect as many as you want but only three are available at one time.