HS17 issues

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Nothing but clients allowed with an HS17. That's a definite downside for those that tailgate or have a second location.

Bottom line: Pros and cons apply here. Educate yourself about both and decide which works for you.

...or if you want actual good performance (an H24 will smoke a client in just about anything), and some level of redundancy if your genie goes kaput.

Nothing but clients allowed with an HS17. That's a definite downside for those that tailgate or have a second location.

Bottom line: Pros and cons apply here. Educate yourself about both and decide which works for you.
Thats fine, until they decide that the HS17 is the ONLY one available.

I don't have a problem with the wired clients beyond the delay with 30SKIP. They're quite responsive.

The wireless are bit slower but I have one in an office and the other in a spare bedroom so no biggie there.

At some point I suspect that a headless server and clients will indeed be the only choice. It will streamline everything for ATT/DTV but at that point I would think that you could stream to a TV (assuming a good signal) using an app.

doesn't the HS17 have 7 tuners
Actually it has 15 (plus one additional for guide info.).

But the user only has access to 7 at present.

4 are reserved for future channel bonding of 4K programs on the Reverse Band and are not accessible.

And the remaining 4 are disabled and it's unknown what DIRECTV intends for them if anything at all.

I upgraded because the 54 won't push out a 4k signal.
It's a shame. I love the 54, why on the world would they not make it 4k compatible?

Downside is the HS17 is going through some hiccups
My 4 tv's get a notice that they are not 4k
HS17 needs to be reset.

Plus the 30skip delay. Not sure why but it does bother me.

I upgraded because the 54 won't push out a 4k signal.
It's a shame. I love the 54, why on the world would they not make it 4k compatible?
The HR54 is 4k compatible. Who told you it isn't? You do need a C61k client or rvu 4k television, but you need that with the HS17, too.

The HR54 is 4k compatible. Who told you it isn't? You do need a C61k client or rvu 4k television, but you need that with the HS17, too.

I had my HR54 hooked up to my 65'' 4k living room Sony. 54 will not play a 4k signal. Now i have my four 4k tvs
able to watch 4k with HS17....Only issues right now, it has some bugs. Plus slow 30 second skip...Guess you cant have it all.

I had my HR54 hooked up to my 65'' 4k living room Sony. 54 will not play a 4k signal. Now i have my four 4k tvs
able to watch 4k with HS17....Only issues right now, it has some bugs. Plus slow 30 second skip...Guess you cant have it all.
The HR54, like the HS17, doesn't output a 4k signal to a TV, only to a c61k client.

But with HS17 I can have all my tv's
Transmit 4k.
The HR54 hooked up to one set will not
Process a 4k signal.
It will send out 4k to clients but that's it.
Both will send 4k only to clients. The HS17 will send two 4k streams, the HR54 only one.

Both will send 4k only to clients. The HS17 will send two 4k streams, the HR54 only one.
He will aslo get charged an extra $7 a month using the HR54, because it dosent output 4K....He would save the $7 and be able to have 4k to all his tvs, but only 2 could stream 4k at a time.

Thats the problem on the HR54, he has 4 locations, and pays for 5.

But if you have all 4k TVs, the HR54 is a fail...
If you have two 4k tvs, then the HS17 is the way to go. If you have more than two, you can only get 4k on two, regular hd on the others.

Thats fine, until they decide that the HS17 is the ONLY one available.

That really scares me.

Until they can get a client that works like a regular receiver if not better, and they come up with a solution to the limited tuner situation

We really need an option to combine multiple HS17s to add more recording capacity.

Multiple TIVOS with Comcast are looking better and better every day.

Too bad TIVO wouldn’t make a box for Directv like the bolt. The THR22 is a piece of crap.

Reactions: Jimbo and dishrich
That really scares me.

Until they can get a client that works like a regular receiver if not better, and they come up with a solution to the limited tuner situation

We really need an option to combine multiple HS17s to add more recording capacity.

Too bad TIVO wouldn’t make a box for Directv like the bolt. The THR22 is a piece of crap.
Or allow use more than 1 Genie on an account.
I would take 2 HR44/54s and be happy, I have a 4k TV but am not interested in the extra needed just to watch a few channels, at least at this point, maybe in a few years.
Also make it so you are not restricted to Clients only with ANY of the systems.

I think the problem is that DIRECTV simply won't allow TIVO to build a box like the Bolt for their service to compete with their in-house receivers.

And what's really "too bad" is that the FCC never forced the satellite providers to open up their signal and encryption systems to a cable card type arrangement for third-party equipment suppliers like TIVO to give satellite customers more choices.

I think the problem is that DIRECTV simply won't allow TIVO to build a box like the Bolt for their service to compete with their in-house receivers.

And what's really "too bad" is that the FCC never forced the satellite providers to open up their signal and encryption systems to a cable card type arrangement for third-party equipment suppliers like TIVO to give satellite customers more choices.
If you remember, they had Set top box competition previously, I liked that as you could go with the Guide you liked better and anything else, you had a choice, THEN came the Branded boxes and that all went away.

I have used the old RCAs, Hughes, Sony and I think the other one was a Samsung.
I liked the RCAs and Hughes best I think ... iirc, it's been a lot of years.

If you remember, they had Set top box competition previously, I liked that as you could go with the Guide you liked better and anything else, you had a choice, THEN came the Branded boxes and that all went away.

I have used the old RCAs, Hughes, Sony and I think the other one was a Samsung.
I liked the RCAs and Hughes best I think ... iirc, it's been a lot of years.
Agreed ....

But those were based on contractual agreements with DIRECTV, which they could terminate after expiration or some other.

If they had been like an FCC mandated cable-card system, DIRECTV wouldn't have been able ever to make the other mfrs. "go away" unless they wanted to. And would only allow DIRECTV to produce their own in-house receivers in competition with the rest.

Agreed ....

But those were based on contractual agreements with DIRECTV, which they could terminate after expiration or some other.

If they had been like an FCC mandated cable-card system, DIRECTV wouldn't have been able ever to make the other mfrs. "go away" unless they wanted to. And would only allow DIRECTV to produce their own in-house receivers in competition with the rest.
So there was some smart lawyers for D* then, to be allowed to do as they have.
Remember they also have the contract for ST to themselves ... which I am happy about.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)