HTL-HD blows away Hughes E86

Status
Please reply by conversation.

gluck75

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 10, 2004
Manhattan
I just upgraded my e86 to a hughes HTL-HD. I also changed from component cables to a DVI.

WOW!!!

Im shocked...what a difference...

The clarity is amazing and the HD is even better than what I used to have with Time Warner Cable...

To anybody who still has an E86...I'd advise you to sell it on EBAY and put the money towards an upgrade...WELL WORTH IT!!!

I told 'em so ... :) :eureka

Glad you like the new box. Your reaction in moving from the E86 to the HTL-HD was the same as mine ... we never knew how bad our HD was under the E86 did we!?!?!

...you were quite right. There seemed to be "too much red" in the picture and the images for HD just werent as crisp on e86. Also...the HDL has better menus and navigation as well.

Major, major, upgrade...

Any first hand comparisons with the Samsung SIR-TS160? I love mine, but honestly I haven't seen much in the way of comparison.

Actually I noted the TS360 is now the going Samsung flavor.

I like the SURF menu on the HTL HD. Do you use OTA as well gluck? I think the unit does a great job of picking up OTA digital signals.

I do use the OTA. I have a Silver Surfer AND I live in Manhattan. It gets several digital stations flawlessly. I'm very impressed...

ckudrna, what is the "Surf Feature"?

Have you gotten the new firmware upgrade that fixes audio dropouts and custom channel list? I'm still on 1.07. I'ts been a week already. Other than that, a great recevier.

well, the initial firmware is 1.0.7. You can see which one you have by pressing menu and then going to setup and then looking at basic info or something like that. The newer firmware is 2.0 which fixes audio dropouts as well as the custom list of channels remaining even after you exit out of the guide. Some people appear to get it within a day or two. It's been a week and I still haven't gotten it. I will give it some more time. But then I will call up D* and find out if they can send it my way.

Ya...I would say go for it...

...I believe the difference in my system was more a result of the receiver itself than the DVI cable...

Sell the e86 on Ebay...I got about $175 for mine...shocking considering I bought it for $99 from Circuit City.

thanks gluk

Thanks gluk,

I just might do that...does your new HTL hold/lock OTA signals better also? I have a Radio Shack indoor antenna here in DFW, TX. E86 does pretty well, so hoping the new HTL will really rock em.

Never tried it with my e86, but when I bought the HTL I attached a silver surfer. The silver surfer is amazing...and what is more impressive is that I live in Manhattan and have tall buidlings all over the area.

I bought my HTL-HD at Best Buy for $299. As for the firmware, my upgrade happened the first night to 2.00, so I don't know why some don't get the upgrade.

gluck75 said:
Ya...I would say go for it...

...I believe the difference in my system was more a result of the receiver itself than the DVI cable...

Sell the e86 on Ebay...I got about $175 for mine...shocking considering I bought it for $99 from Circuit City.

I just picked up a used E86 about 2 weeks ago and am pretty pleased with it. I previously had D* with an 811, but I had enough trouble with it that it just wasn't worth continuing. The 811 DVI picture was very good, but seriously, my E86 isn't much different. A little, but not a lot, and I seriously like the RF remote and the caller ID on screen. I wouldn't want to give up those options. I'm very pleased overall with my Toshiba HDX82 in all modes.

I do miss the simutaneous component and SD output that I had on the 811, and I could move to other rooms and still see a game, etc.

Does the HTL have that?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)