Hughes Net Pointing Question

If I understand what he's asking about...

He will need to enter a new Lat and Long and recalibrate the ACP to get the modem to range and lock at a new location.

If he's setting up close enough to his old location, he may be able to simply plug it in, and/or run Force Ranging. But it's been my experience you almost always have to re peak ACP when setting up at a new location, and this requires selecting a working transponder in the reg screens. 970 MHz won't be one of the options in the drop-down list. Doesn't matter what he selects as long as it displays a green signal bar and can pass the ACP.

FAIK, he may be able to do all this under the Antenna Pointing menu but I never use that option so can't speak to that.

If I understand what he's asking about...

He will need to enter a new Lat and Long and recalibrate the ACP to get the modem to range and lock at a new location.

If he's setting up close enough to his old location, he may be able to simply plug it in, and/or run Force Ranging. But it's been my experience you almost always have to re peak ACP when setting up at a new location, and this requires selecting a working transponder in the reg screens. 970 MHz won't be one of the options in the drop-down list. Doesn't matter what he selects as long as it displays a green signal bar and can pass the ACP.

FAIK, he may be able to do all this under the Antenna Pointing menu but I never use that option so can't speak to that.

I certainly agree a new lat/long/zip is needed for dish settings. I never work outside my dma, but do many repairs that require a similar situation that the op is trying to accomplish. On new installs I have never had any luck with the drop down menu, always had to input my own parameters. As long as I could find & read signal, get a good ACP , all went well. Like you stated NOC will automatically set the modem to whatever it is supposed be. With a repair or repoint I always leave the parameters the way they are in modem, run ACP & occasionally force range & rf a modem to get it to cooperate. Other than that I agree if he can get a green bar with decent signal & ACP he should be good to go.
On a unrelated note, have you installed any 9200's yet? I have not, but they're coming here soon.

No 9200s, just 9000s so far.

Most of our stuff has been with HughesNet HN7000s, and mostly in Mexico.

You're right, RF'ing the modem is a good fallback if the above doesn't work. I've also recently come across RD'ing the modem as a less "extreme" measure but haven't had the op to try it yet.

Not to get this thread off course, but, hughes had cut out all 7000's in this area about 6 to 8 weeks ago. 100% 9000's for the moment & repairs are a touchy situation. If a repair needs a radio or modem, as we can't get parts anymore, the customer can call hughes customer service & most of the time get a free upgrade. As a tech if we have the equipment & time to dance through the hoops we can go ahead & do upgrade right then & there. So far it has been a major pain in the ........ Things are changing quickly & from what I'm being told the 9200's are pretty sweet, for the installer & customer. The downside is going to be for people like the op who travel with work & want to set up their own systems. Phasing out the 7000's is going to be bitter sweet for many.

OK I selected sm5gtn_990_2k and I get a green bar signal strength of 59-62 and it shows recevier is locked, then I check the box for perform ACP and click next. Then I chose auto, and the ACP popup window shows "status requesting, waiting for reply", and it never changes. I've tried everything and can't get it to pass. Should I be changing anything at this time? And how long before any change should I wait before making another change? I don't know if the changes will show immediately or not. Any ideas?

Damn, that hurt. I actually am a satellite installer, but I mostly do vsat systems. I'm just unfamiliar with The Hughes Net system. I knew skew adjustments affects the cross polarization, I just dont know exactly what to expect while cross poling a hughes net system. I do not see any kind of meter so I don't know how to fine tune the cross pole. After I adjust the skew,
1. do I need to do anything on the receiver or pc?
2. Is there a certain time interval I need to wait before adjusting the skew again?

Sorry that I have so many questions, but I'm usually on the phone with our NOCS when I'm doing my cross pole for our vsats.

Sorry, I seriously did not mean to offend. I meant you may want to hire an [experienced HughesNet] installer in your area to get you dialed in.

On Manual ACP during the registration, you should see a varying ACP value displayed in the ACP popup window, anywhere from 0 to 99, and a PASS/FAIL indication. Then you adjust the dish's skew setting by rotating the entire dish (unlike VSAT where you simply rotate the feed).

If the ACP window never gets beyond waiting for a result and never displays any numbers, then you back up and recheck your latitude and longitude settings. They need to be very close to your area for best results.

If they are correct, and you're still having problems getting an ACP value, then you may need to clear out the modem using telnet. Open the DOS Command prompt, and type (no quotes) "TELNET 192.168.0.1 1953" and hit "ENTER." then type "RD" and hit "ENTER." You should see a bunch of file deletions scrolling down the DOS window and the modem should reset. If that doesn't do it , try typing RF instead and hit "ENTER."

I have never used the manual side of the cross pole test. Always used the automatic ACP. You had stated in an earlier post that is was "requesting/waiting for reply", but never did anything else. A low or mediocre signal will make it do that & if your confident your signal is good, resetting the modem back to factory defaults has fixed the non responsiveness of the automatic ACP test for me more than a few times. Setting the modem back to factory defaults requires the use of command prompt. Also before doing something like this, take note of your parameters because they will have to be reentered. It is a process called "rf the modem". I have done it many times from my laptop & there is 1 or 2 steps initially the 1st time before opening command prompt. Maybe AlanRT can chime in about the steps before command prompt, I just don't remember right off. From the command prompt, type "telnet 192.168.0.1 1953" & enter. It will look gibberish & do it's thing for a few secs, the next command is "rf" & enter. That would complete the reset back to original factory settings. Again there is 1 step before command prompt, I think it's some type of permission setting with the telnet folder. I only had to do it 1 time with my machine, then it was straight to command prompt from that point on.

Sorry, I seriously did not mean to offend. I meant you may want to hire an [experienced HughesNet] installer in your area to get you dialed in.

On Manual ACP during the registration, you should see a varying ACP value displayed in the ACP popup window, anywhere from 0 to 99, and a PASS/FAIL indication. Then you adjust the dish's skew setting by rotating the entire dish (unlike VSAT where you simply rotate the feed).

If the ACP window never gets beyond waiting for a result and never displays any numbers, then you back up and recheck your latitude and longitude settings. They need to be very close to your area for best results.

If they are correct, and you're still having problems getting an ACP value, then you may need to clear out the modem using telnet. Open the DOS Command prompt, and type (no quotes) "TELNET 192.168.0.1 1953" and hit "ENTER." then type "RD" and hit "ENTER." You should see a bunch of file deletions scrolling down the DOS window and the modem should reset. If that doesn't do it , try typing RF instead and hit "ENTER."

Didn't mean to to say the same thing you just did, you must be a quicker typer than me................:)

Windows 7 and Vista by default do not have Telnet enabled.
1. Click Start > Control Panel > Programs
2. In the Programs and Features section, click Turn Windows features on or off.
4. If the User Account Control dialog box appears, confirm the action is what you want, and click Continue.
5. In the Windows Features list, select Telnet Client, and OK.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)