Hughes Tivo is dying, now what?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

wado66

Original poster
Jan 8, 2006
I have an older Hughes series 2 Tivo. I love it.
But it is dying, i think. I added another harddrive about 3 years ago.
The Tivo keeps locking up. About every 2 hours.
And I'm trying to weigh my options.
Should I replace my 2 harddrives with 1 big one, and hoope that was my problem?
Buy another Tivo DVR from somewhere?
Or call DirecTv and get one of their DVR's.
I don't need HD.
Just a good quality DVR.

My personal feeling is I would call D* and see what I could get for an offer to upgrade to a HRXX receiver seeing that will come with a new dish and the latest features/headaches. Then compare their offer to what replacement costs would be.

I have an older Hughes series 2 Tivo. I love it.
But it is dying, i think. I added another harddrive about 3 years ago.
The Tivo keeps locking up. About every 2 hours.
And I'm trying to weigh my options.
Should I replace my 2 harddrives with 1 big one, and hoope that was my problem?
Buy another Tivo DVR from somewhere?
Or call DirecTv and get one of their DVR's.
I don't need HD.
Just a good quality DVR.

I have a R-15 that has been absolutely trouble free. My experiences may differ from other people here, though.

If D* doesn't satisfy you with a good offer, I would consider replacing your hard drives. weaKnees is a wonderful source and a sponsor of SatelliteGuys. I have used them in the past and would do so again. Excellent instructions come with their kits and they work.

I imagine that they would replace the receiver for little or nothing if you have had their service for a while.

Ok, here is the latest. I was trying to get as many movies moved from my Tivo to my DVD recorder that has a harddrive. I noticed a slight unfamiliar noise coming from the inside of my Tivo. I opened the case and noticed the fan wasn't running as fast as it should. So, I got a pc case fan and wired it in and laid it on the harddrive. Not one single lock up. So, now I'm going to "alter" my case. Cut out a spot to mount another fan. Hopefully that will work.

Thanks for the posts. I did use Weakknees. Love the stuff. So easy to install I could even do it. The fan they sent me is the one going out. It's about 4 years old. No complaints, just need another fan. I will buy it from them.

As far as DirecTv. They offered me a new DVR to lease for the shipping price of $19.95. If I send them back my Tivo. I own this Tivo. Thanks, but no thanks.

Ok, here is the latest. I was trying to get as many movies moved from my Tivo to my DVD recorder that has a harddrive. I noticed a slight unfamiliar noise coming from the inside of my Tivo. I opened the case and noticed the fan wasn't running as fast as it should. So, I got a pc case fan and wired it in and laid it on the harddrive. Not one single lock up. So, now I'm going to "alter" my case. Cut out a spot to mount another fan. Hopefully that will work.

Thanks for the posts. I did use Weakknees. Love the stuff. So easy to install I could even do it. The fan they sent me is the one going out. It's about 4 years old. No complaints, just need another fan. I will buy it from them.

As far as DirecTv. They offered me a new DVR to lease for the shipping price of $19.95. If I send them back my Tivo. I own this Tivo. Thanks, but no thanks.

Normally DirecTV doesn't ask for the DirecTivos back.:confused:

Just to second never giving up your tivo if HD isn't a big deal. The HRXX DVRs are not bad, but it's like being used to flying in a Gulfsream G650 and then being crammed into a regular passenger jet with hundreds of other schmucks. You'll get there, but it's not nearly as smooth a flight!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts