hughesnet bandwidth priority questions

mark319

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 10, 2004
I have the hn7000s on the home proplus plan with the .98 2watt dish/radio/antenna. my downloads have been great and have yet to experience an outage while using it. however my upload speed sucks royally and pretty much always have.

I think we got it setup we were getting 80k uploads or so. now it averages under 30k and most of the time seems to be around 15-25k up. and no I'm not over my usage from the fap nor have I ever exceeded the max.

I called and worked with a hughes csr, he said that all my settings and numbers look perfectly fine. he now has me doing a site bandwidth report from the myhughesnet site every couple hours for the next 3 days. I've run it 4 times so far today and each time was 900+ down and 24, 22, 25, and 28 k up each time. he seems to think that after 3 days of proving my upload sucks, he'll be able to do something more that he couldnt do today to speed up my upload. I have my doubts.

so the issue is that I have my cam security system hooked up to my router and I can go anywhere in the world open up a browser type in my ip, then user and password and see all my cams. now this worked fine when we first setup the system back in november and was getting the better upload speeds. every now and then during peak times it would have trouble connecting but for the most part worked. now the upload has dropped so much that I cant connect to it at all ever. and the fact that I do have to upload some large files from here and it's now taking 1 hour + to do what it use to in 15 minutes.

but anyway the csr says that they should be able to get me averaging 100k + uploads consistently after looking at the download speed site tests. cause that's what he said I should be averaging. now I asked about upgrading to one of the business plans, could I expect bandwidth priority that will "guarantee" better uploads. and he kept saying over and over that I will be getting a better dish (though I kept trying to tell him that I already had the 2 watt system) and that the service will be better. but being he's from a country named after an ocean he couldnt understand my cajun dialect anymore than I could understand his deeble dabble. so I coundnt get him to answer my questions directly.

so has anyone had this experience will great downloading but crap uploading and got it fixed? and if I up to the business plan will I actually get bandwidth priority and get that 100-200k upload they promised me? lol

thanks,

Mark

When you look at the "System Control Center" and check your transmissions, do you see a high # of "failed"? Sounds like you may have a bad tX.

Number of Successful Transmissions 13923

Number of Failed Transmissions 3

Number of Packets Submitted for Transmission 6428

seems like a fairly low number to me. been 9k - 12k upload all night :(.
please tell me the business plans do better than this...

"UP TO" is the wording on the contract, so no min quarantee.

Your problem is strange. Have they tried changing you to different transponders? That would be my next step. What sat and transponder are you currently on? (Maybe someone on here has the same and can compare notes).

it's been over 1000k down and 130k-140k up (hit 170k up once) from
5:30 am till 8am. after 8 am upload has gone down to 70k range and now almost 9 am hovering around 50k and dropping. Ive never seen it that high but its never been tested that early. so im guessing its other users sucking up my upload bandwidth.

so how about the business plan getting priority bandwidth allocation? and guaranteed minimal speed?

ive been hearing of a bunch of speed related issues lately. mainly with amc3(87w). i'll look into it a little bit more and let you know what i find out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)