hughesnet question

KG4KBU

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 1, 2009
Corbin, KY
What would I expect as a install and speeds of the home 1.0 mbps package from Hughes. Would I later on be able to upgrade to the gen 4 sat?

Don't waste your money; only the Ka reflector, the cabling, and the ground wire(s) can be re-used for a Gen4 upgrade. You'll be better off as a new Gen4 customer than as an existing upgrade customer. As far as the speeds, they can range from the full 1mbps in the middle of the night (when you're normally asleep) to barely above dial-up during peak usage hours (when you ordinarily want to use it). If Gen4 follows Exede marketing model, you'll get up to 17mbps with any plan. The package structure will likely be based upon data usage. That is, the low price plans will let you download smaller totals, the higher plans will let you download increasing amounts of data.

//greg//

. As far as the speeds, they can range from the full 1mbps in the middle of the night (when you're normally asleep) to barely above dial-up during peak usage hours (when you ordinarily want to use it).
//greg//
1 mbps is barely above dial up let alone peak hours, I bet its worse then dial up durring peak hours
Dial up is like 56kbps

If I could have something else believe me I would. However, there is no high-speed available here, unless I go satellite. My Hughes runs very well for what it is, and it has never been slower than dial-up during peak hours.

As to answer the ops question, I would only go satellite inet for high-speed if nothing else is available. Also I would go with Excede if you have to get it or wait for Gen4 sat for Hughes.

What would I expect as a install and speeds of the home 1.0 mbps package from Hughes. Would I later on be able to upgrade to the gen 4 sat?

I seriously doubt they are going to upgrade a 3 month old customer for Free.

You should either wait till the next generation stuff becomes available, or get Exede. Dishstore is an Exede and Hughesnet dealer. Got a good deal on Exede $49.99 upfront. Or Hughes with $0 upfront and a $100 rebate.

Ok thanks my sprint signal through Millenicom is crapped out on me. I wonder where I could get a good panal antenna at to maybe pull my signal in better. Right now I have a grid antenna and I think its my antenna

I've been telling people to wait for Gen4 as well instead of going with Excede. I told one person earlier this year though to switch from Hughesnet to Excede and they are very pleased and says it works with Skype well when it didn't with Hughesnet.

When is the gen 4 service going to be launched ?
The satellite has been delivered to the launch site and is currently next in line, tentatively June 19th. It seldom takes less than 30 days to position and test a newly launched telecommunications satellite before it can actually be commissioned into service. So to be on the safe side, I'd say August.

//greg//

The new satellite will be parked @ 107w. There is a 107.3w on the dish pointer app now (ANIK F1), Echostar 17 & ANIK should practically be able to scratch each others solar panels once E*17 is in place.

07/05/2012 is supposed to be the launch date for E*17. This link will be carrying a live view of launch, be sure to bookmark it.

Arianespace - VideoCorner

Responding to a few posts here:

Speeds on the current HughesNet system can actually be pretty good. We have several Ka systems out and they're all doing well with no customer complaints. Even an older HN7000S / 1 Watt / SatMex 5 Ku system here at the office with the Power 150 plan at $79.99 was consistently clocking between 1,500 to 1,700 Kbps down and 190 Kbps up yesterday afternoon, usually a peak usage time. Some of you may know that SatMex 5 is used by thousands of customers in Mexico and Central America, as well as the US.

The only times in the last four years when I've seen a well-installed healthy HughesNet system drop to near dial-up speed was when it's been Fapped.

In response to Exede, HughesNet has been pretty aggressive lately with improving their service offerings: They recently implemented a daily "rollover bank" that accumulates unused data up to a maximum of 2 X the daily allowance, and they provide a free service restore "token" each month. Unused tokens accumulate up to a maximum of three available per month.

It may be actually more likely that a new HughesNet customer will get a better break on upgrading to Gen4 than customers who have had their system for a year or two. Last thing Hughes would want is to kill new sales for the few months preceding the GEN 4 launch by not providing a cost-effective upgrade path.

Hoping that launch goes smoothly. We won't see any type of Exede service in this area anytime soon, and customers are asking for a higher-speed solution.

I'll be at the HughesNet Dealer Summit in July when the new service and upgrade details will be announced. I'm sure the details will get reported here by someone shortly thereafter.

I agree with everything you wrote Alan, except the bit about the upgrade path. I too have the $80/mo hn7000S package, except here it's called ProPlus. I think that Power xxx label belongs to the current Ka0band stuff. Anyway, ProPlus was originally marketed as a 150/1500 plan, but I regularly see 220/2000 (off peak). Still waiting for the rollover bank though.

Regarding the upgrade path though, it would be foolish to buy HughesNet now, then upgrade in August. Just too expensive. Unless it includes the Ka-Ku dish and mount, the only other reusable components of a Gen3 install would be the cabling/connectors, and ground circuits. Odds are "upgrade" customers will pretty much have to pay full price - again. I'll likely have to pay full price too. Given that I have the 98cm Ku-only Prodelin and OSIRIS electronics, the only reusable stuff I've got is the pole mount, the cable runs, and the ground system.

//greg//

HughesNet just recently started referring to the Ku ProPlus plan as (Ku) "Power 150." Tripped me up on a few recent upgrades.

Ahead of the dealer summit, I've been trying to get a fix on the upgrade options for new customers. Was told informally by a HughesNet rep that they will provide concessions to new customers but that remains to be seen. Agreed, you and other long-term Ku/Ka customers will probably need to "re up" and pay for a new system/contract. Sounds like the model used by cellular phone companies, no?

I have been w/ HughesNet several years and own equipment;
I just signed up as a new user so I can get Gen 4 because I wanted to purchase, not lease and i wanted the base POWERPLUs plan, not the mid-level plan;
Is this then okay to do? Can I cancel my old service the day of the new install?
THX

I caused enough flap over there to the point where existing customers are now (finally) offered the purchase option. But since you already jumped - if you can afford it - and if your current connection is usable - let your old and new accounts overlap during for the first month. That way if you're not satisfied with Gen4, you can still back away from the 24 month commitment. All you'll be out is what it costs to return the necessary hardware. I think they only want the TRIA and modem back.

//greg//

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)