SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 4, 2004
Chicago
SEOUL, Korea, Feb. 24 /PRNewswire/ -- Humax, a leading international
manufacturer of digital satellite set-top boxes today disclosed it has entered
into a development agreement and supply agreement with DIRECTV, Inc. the
leading digital satellite TV provider in the United States.
The agreements encompass various set top box models including a portion of
the entry-level receivers that will feature interactive services and a HDTV
receiver capable of receiving MPEG 4 broadcasts due to ship later in the year.
In addition, Humax is producing the new DIRECTV DVR, also due out later this
year.
Dr. Dae Gyu Byun, Chairman and CEO of Humax Co. Ltd, says, "Humax is proud
to be added to the roster of DIRECTV approved vendors, it's an important
milestone in our history. Our business is very much aligned with DIRECTV;
Humax was born as a Satellite set top box manufacturer and continues to gain
market share worldwide in this segment. Our experience in this space,
combined with a dedicated and knowledgeable staff, will prove to be very
valuable to this relationship."
Romulo Pontual, Executive Vice President and Chief Technology Officer of
DIRECTV, said, "DIRECTV is poised to introduce several compelling new products
and services in 2005. We are pleased to have Humax as a partner to develop
and manufacturer set top boxes for DIRECTV. Humax brings years of proven cost
effective set top box design and manufacturing."
For all Humax-related media inquiries please contact Muto Communications
at 631.390.0218 or email paul@mutocomm.com.

Humax is listed as an one of the NDSs STB manufacturer in the Us . http://www.ndsuk.com/partners/set_top_box_partners.html

Already with the largest STB market share in Europe and in the Middle East, Humax— developers of innovative set-top box designs—are synonymous with innovation. Over the years, NDS and Humax have forged a strong working relationship to provide a variety of set-top box solutions to satellite and cable operators around the world. Together they are now using their mutual brand strength to offer US cable MSOs a cost-effective selection of products based on open standards.

bcope9 said:
I know that they make TIVO boxes. They sell for a little cheaper than the TIVO branded boxes.

When you say they make Tivo boxes you really mean they make DVRs right?

Similar to people saying they want to learn to roller blade when they really mean in-line skate. Roller Blade is a company that makes in-line skates.

charper1 said:
When you say they make Tivo boxes you really mean they make DVRs right?

Similar to people saying they want to learn to roller blade when they really mean in-line skate. Roller Blade is a company that makes in-line skates.

Humax makes a stand alone Tivo box and their hardware price is a little cheaper than current Tivo boxes from other brands but you still pay the Tivo fees.

Also just so you know the official word from my sources is that Humax will not be making the HD multiroom DVR. They will be making the plain HD and SD DVR and the plain HD STB. I'm hearing that the plain HD STB will be out shortly after the first 12 markets HD LIL channels are offered and I'm hearing that the HD DVR will be offered as a lease but that hasn't been confirmed quite yet. The HD multiroom DVR system is scheduled to be out by the end of the year and will be offered as a lease but I don't know who will make the box yet. I did find out that the HD multiroom DVR server internals will be very very very similiar to the HD DVR STB with the only difference being the middleware and software. Now with all that said I'm guessing that Humax will be making this box.

Any word on whether the D* DVR will require a phone line? I might have gotten a TiVo except for that requirement. I think they're really behind the times on that requirement. Even my parents dropped their land line.

And Humax is also a partner with NDS.

Although there is no detail, at least for this PR, it seems to be for the new NDS boxes.

Hong.

What I meant was you can buy a Humax brand TIVO box. It is TIVO. I know that several companies are making boxes for TIVO and they are one of them. I have a catalog with Humax in it. Until a few months ago, I had never heard of them. They are appearing more and more. They are on the low side of the companies that are making the boxes, whereas Pioneer is on the high end

LonghornXP said:
I'm hearing that the plain HD STB will be out shortly after the first 12 markets HD LIL channels are offered and I'm hearing that the HD DVR will be offered as a lease but that hasn't been confirmed quite yet.

When are you hearing the Humax HD-DVR will be out?!

~Alan<~~~~~~Who really wants an HD-DVR!!

Alan Gordon said:
When are you hearing the Humax HD-DVR will be out?!

~Alan<~~~~~~Who really wants an HD-DVR!!

I'm hearing that the basic HD STB will be out when local HD channels are offered. The HD DVR (not the multiroom but like the current HD Tivo) is being pushed very hard to be out shortly before the start of the NFL regular season and shortly is within a month or so. They also plan to try and get the multiroom HD DVR out before November but at worst it will be out before Christmas. It will be offered online at DirecTV.com as a lease option and customers who currently own hardware will have no problem adding a rental based hardware box. Unlike some of the trial systems they did before you don't have to have all rental boxes or all paid for boxes. You can pay for whats cheap and lease what costs a bunch.

LonghornXP said:
... Also just so you know the official word from my sources is that Humax will not be making the HD multiroom DVR.... I did find out that the HD multiroom DVR server internals will be very very very similiar to the HD DVR STB with the only difference being the middleware and software. Now with all that said I'm guessing that Humax will be making this box.

Longhorn I enjoy your posts. They are usually insightful, but I am confused by this one. It seems you are contradicting yourself here. Can you maybe clarify for me and any other readers.
Thanks.
--RiGGs

riggscm said:
Longhorn I enjoy your posts. They are usually insightful, but I am confused by this one. It seems you are contradicting yourself here. Can you maybe clarify for me and any other readers.
Thanks.
--RiGGs

Good catch and I meant to say that the unofficial word from my sources was that Humax wouldn't be making the multiroom HD DVR. Now I was pretty much saying that because the HD DVR internals from what I hear are so close to what the internals will be for the HD multiroom DVR I was hinting at the fact that Humax might be making this box because why as a company would you pay another company to make pretty much the same box than your paying another company to make. See what I'm getting at why wouldn't they pay one company to make both and have all units save you money based on volume.

If the internals weren't so close from what I've been told I would think otherise but D* and Murdock don't seem like wasters of money.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts