Hurricane

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimMcC

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 4, 2004
How far inland from the Gulf or Atlantic do you need to be to be safe from hurricanes?

Hurricanes have hit most of the eastern seaboard at one time or another, just like the gulf states. To decrease your odds of a direct hit from a hurricane, you would have to move in the areas that are hit by other types of natural disasters. California has so many possible disaster types, it's only has you wonder why people flock to the west coast. I think that the solution is to live where you like, but build your house like you are expecting a Cat5 hurricane. The trouble here is that we are in a cycle of storms that will eventually come off its peak and go to another 100 years with less activity. The number of storms may decrease, but the odds of another Cat5 will still be there. It's one big crap shoot on when the next storm will happen, how big it will be, and where it will hit.

JimMcC said:
How far inland from the Gulf or Atlantic do you need to be to be safe from hurricanes?

Well, I live in Colorado, and to my knowledge, we haven't been hit with a hurricane in decades, maybe centuries! :D ;)

CPanther95 said:
I guess from your perspective, everyone (else) is dangerously close to sea level. ;)

not everyone, just those under let's say 4500 feet! :D ;)

Montana, Idaho, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Iowa, and Kansas are the only states to have never felt the effects of a hurricane so far as I know. That doesnt mean that other states that have had a hurricane pass over theyr state(s) have had any adverse effects. I live in Michigan and there have been 2 or 3 hurricanes that had paths that went over our area but by the time they reached us they were nothing more than low pressure centers that dropped moderate rainfall.

Some area's in LA, MS, and AL had sustained winds of 100mph and took heavy damage, tornado's were spawned all the way up into tennesse, flooding potential was as far north as the northern ohio river valley and into the phittsburgh area, so really if you want to have a near absolute choice as to where to go then pick one of the above mentioned states.

I wonder if there is a list somewhere of the calmest best places to live in regards to weather and perhaps have that combined with how bad crime is. I guess wherever you go, to avoid flooding, you could live on a hill or at least on a high enough elevation away from a creek up north far enough. The farther north you go the less severe the weather would be in the summer but the harsher the winter would be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts