Status
Not open for further replies.

Rey

@ your service
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Feb 8, 2008
Florida
i am not looking forward to this. right now it's heading my way and they think it will come in as a category 4 or even 5. i'm a little embarrassed to say that i'm feeling a little fear with ike. i went through andrew back in 1992 and it was bad. this looks like it could be worse.

the way it looks right now the storm would travel up Florida so i don't know where to go. i'm going to put up my shutters bring in the sat dish and stuff i have out in the yard and hope for the best. i have my generator ready because for sure the power will go out. every time one of these storms goes by here i sometimes lose power for a month. thanks for your words

What is scary is that the latest maps don't show it making landfall in Florida, other than the keys, BUT heading right on a direct course towards New Orleans and the gulf coast again.

I just got my power back today and I am one of the lucky ones. Still lots of folks without power around here. You don't see it on the news but it is still a mess here.

Some will not have power for weeks!

I haven't seen many if any scenes of damage from hurricane Gustoff at all on the national news channels. Unlike during the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina that went on for years. I find that very strange considering the amount of people without power in Louisiana.

WE evacuated in southeast Texas last Saturday and came back home Tuesday afternoon. THAnk GOD we were not hit here again . We just went through Hurricane Humberto last Sept. and tropical storm rains from Edward less than a month ago. Not to mention hurricane Rita in 2005 that really tore up our area . I took down my two sat dishes and had to put them back up Tuesday evening so we could watch tv and ota again. Took about 30 minutes and I was up and running. We took our 3 sat receivers with us to Arkansas so we wouldn't lose them if the hurricane came here instead. I learned from Rita that the sat dishes didn't fare well. Mine was crushed into a C from the winds. Luckily I had a spare in what was left of my outside Morgan building shed and I was able to put up another one the same day the electricty came back on in 2005.

I am glad you are up and running again DIGI. How did you come out damage wise?

although i'm still in the cone it did shift this morning . yesterday i was smack in the center of prediction. although this could change again but if it doesn't it would look like another storm is heading towards the new orleans are which would really suck.
084015W_sm.gif

Everyone was concerned a few days ago for Miami and the rest of FL.
Most weather predictors are now paying more attention to the upper atmosphere steering currents in the high and low pressure builds to the north and also to the south. If you picture these currents as clockwise rotations around a High and counter clockwise rotation around a low you can more accurately which way the hurricane will go. And, predict whether it will weaken due to shear. As such, these predictions are at best 5 day models as the data begins to fail beyond that. When Ike was said to be bearing down on Key Biscayne just east of Miami, I took a look at the High pressure building 3-4 days out just to the north of SE USA. This high would be moving in a SE direction over the Atlantic about the time Ike would be moving near over PR and the Dominican Republic. I told my one client in KB that he probably doesn't have anything to worry about. he said he felt the same as we were both looking at the upper atmosphere steering currents and the direction those were moving for the previous 3 day history.
It bears out almost every time and no different for Ike. Ike appears to be headed across the Fl Straits near the north coast of Cuba and into the G of M. Headed right for you know where-- New Orleans ( beyond the 5 day accuracy model)!
Miami will no doubt suffer at least strong Tropical winds and lots of rain still on this path but be spared the full force of a Cat4 or 5 storm surge and wind as we had with Andrew.

The accuracy of the data in the upper atmosphere is not as accurate and available to the south Caribbean as we have over the 48 states but with what is available it seems Miami will get spared. Key West and lower Keys should get stronger hit from the east.

Here's praying for it to follow that path as described.

Looks like 2005 all over again for this area.
Damn, I hope its not that bad, but it does look familiar. That does mean I am due another Katrina though....... I wasnt even thinking about Ike until today.

The weather channel was talking about how if the storm goes up through the center of Cuba it will come out into the gulf as a weaker storm (of course), but they failed to acknowledge that that was the worst-case scenario for CUBA! I sort of chuckled, but it really wasn't funny. Either way somebody gets faced with lots of destruction.

Don -- I appreciate the explanation you gave about the storm patterns; need to read it more carefully, as I am intrigued by the science of the predictions, even though I don't really understand it.

The weather channel was talking about how if the storm goes up through the center of Cuba it will come out into the gulf as a weaker storm (of course), but they failed to acknowledge that that was the worst-case scenario for CUBA! I sort of chuckled, but it really wasn't funny. Either way somebody gets faced with lots of destruction.

Don -- I appreciate the explanation you gave about the storm patterns; need to read it more carefully, as I am intrigued by the science of the predictions, even though I don't really understand it.
I kind of thought about that too. I feel sorry for the innocent people there, but then again....

That said, I dont wish this destruction and inconvenience on anyone. Not really..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts