Hurricane Ike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its kind of interesting in that the Hurricane (which dumped 5" of rain on us in Illinois) ran into the existing low front; and the combination of the two is what caused the wind problems in Ohio. Indeed, the Tropical Depression was already in Michigan when the front caused the wind issues.

One helluva strange weekend of weather. And 18 hours after the rain stopped, my sump pump still keeps kicking on and off periodically. As I told my wife... "we are not in Colorado anymore!" :)

It was a very strange weekend. I was in Michigan (Detroit area) for their 5" of rain to just come back to all the damage from the wind. I can say we were very lucky as we are just missing a couple of shingles on the roof. We have a few neighbors that have trees in their 2nd floor right now.

anyone here from the parts hit the hardest from Ike? how are you doing? we hope you're ok.

I live in the northwest part of Harris county (just outside the Houston city limits) and we rode out the storm. Luckly the eye was about 20 - 25 east of us so we didn't have to take the hard hit of the northeastern side.
I went out a few times on the front porch, the wind was blocked because of the corner of the house, and watched the trees bend as what might have been 70-90 mph winds. This lasted for hours. My wife would not sleep upstairs in our master bedroom because when the wind gusts hit the house, you could feel it move.
Our house is fine and no fence damage. We live in a new neighborhood so there are no tall trees.
We were very lucky because we only lost power for about 12 hours. My mom, who lives south of downtown near the Reliant Stadium, just got her power turn on this morning.
Most gas stations (that I have seen) that have gas the police are there to keep the line orderly. Average wait 5 - 20 cars per pump.

that's very good news. glad you and your family are alright. :)

Well... DAMN!!! It's an amazing thing when I can say that I was hit by a tropical storm with winds gusting above hurricane strength while sitting at a football game, but DAMN!

So there I was at a Bengals Football game watching the Bengals SUCK so bad that the winds were just blowing over me and onto the field! The day was perfectly clear with no rain. A few clouds were WHIZZING by, but where I was sitting the breeze felt good on my developing sun burn.

Well I was sitting on the south end zone so the real wind was flying about 30 feet over my head and swirling onto the field. But I thought nothing of it. When one of the big score board billboards lost some lights and forced a main concourse to be closed I still thought nothing of it. But as I walked with the crowd up the road into downtown to my car I couldn't believe the winds! There were gusts where I had to act like a sky-diver and literally caught a 10 or 11 year-old kid who was being blown back by the dry warm winds! Trees were down, but still I thought it was a more localized thing.

So I get in my car, and knowing that the interstate was closed due to an overturned truck I took the overland route. OH MY GOD! It was utter devastation! Trees down everywhere. Debris strewn all over the place. Telephone and light posts snapped like twigs with wires down here and there.

When I got home to the northern suburbs it was worse! In my neighborhood over 4 dozen large trees had broken or been uprooted completely. these were 100 year-old oaks, maples, cherry, ash trees. The soft woods mostly fared better. But it seems like if a tree could fall over power lines, it did!

90% of Hamilton County was without power on Sunday. 80% Monday and Tuesday. And only just about an hour ago this area got power back (two and a half days after I first lost power) So a little wind storm and only about 1/3 of the way through the clean up! My poor next-door neighbor had a huge tree that fell over to the other neighbor's yard and took the power drop from the poles to the house and to the house beyond that! Those poor people are dead last on the priority list and it may be as long as three weeks before they see power! I've offered them an extension cord and a 20 amp circuit for one of their refrigerators. They've declined it so far. But I was going crazy without power for two and a half days. I can't imagine 3 weeks!

Last year's drought set the stage. Ike finished the job. And Duke Energy did its best to take three times as long to respond as needed!

I feel for the people of Texas. I only saw the last dying breath of Ike! This is the second time I experience this type of storm, and the first as an adult. But who'd have thunk it that a tropical storm would hit Cincinnati!

See ya
Tony

ps- the picture attached is from a friend's neighborhood where he will be without power until at least Thursday:
http://www.hugh57.com/ike/main/tdike-0048.jpg

Attachments

• tdike-0048.jpg
    tdike-0048.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 86
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)