Husage: A Better HughesNet Usage Report

linoj

Original poster
Aug 15, 2009
New Hampshire
I launched a new free service (Husage dot net) which provides a better hughesnet usage reports. I wrote this little tool to help my family manage our downloads and help avoid getting "FAP-ed".

Basically it starts with the HughesNet usage report and reformats it. Husage shows download usage over 24 hour periods, highlights periods in color that exceed given thresholds, and sends you an email alert if your usage level exceeds a threshold.

Feel free to try it and let me know if you run into any issues. Thx.

www dot husage dot net

(this forum wont let me post the real link yet)

See ya.

Yes and no. But it's a bit more complicated than that. We're talking about more than one password and ID here. To access my usage data right now, I must log into HughesNet - Home This is only accomplished after providing my email address and password. To access my usage data I must then drill through the Customer Care section, then Tools, then Usage, then define the period, and then provide my unique Site ID. On the way, I pass through a menu of other features that can be accessed by simply providing the Site ID. A partial list is illustrated below. I hope it will make clear why I wouldn't want anybody other than me rooting around in there.

To use this Husage "utility", one must perform a separate registration, one that includes the applicant's unique Site ID. It seems to me that using the www.husage.net "utility", one renders his or her entire HughesNet account vulnerable to hijacking. If it Husage was a PC-based utility - where I was not required to surrender personal data to a 3rd party - fine. But in its present web-based form, I'm put off by potential security concerns. It's sorta the same feeling I'd have is someone promoted a web-based utility to help me "keep better track" of my bank account data, or my telephone accounts, or my insurance plans.

Please understand that I'm not impugning the motives of the OP. What I see simply represents a tempting target for hackers. But that's just me. Others may not share such concerns.

//greg//

Attachments

• HughesNet.jpg
    HughesNet.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 289
Last edited:
linoj,

I'm sure you set up the site with good intentions. Your FAQ indicates that you access public info to get the stats. Sorry, but my site ID isn't public information as far as I'm concerned.

If you're trying to get your tool out where it can be used by folks, you might consider releasing the source under the GPL (GNU General Public License).

FWIW

It's a good idea but Hughes will be launching a simular application in the near future for all subscribers.

i guess i dont understand these objections.

Hughesnet reports are public, anyone can type in a site id and get a report for it. Since husage reads the same reports it also needs a site id.

Giving a password protects you from others changing your report settings. Thats all. It has nothing to do with any hughes accounts you might have. Not rocket science, just a convenience.

husage dot net is free. I dont care about your data. i just thought I'd share. Whatever.

If you're looking for something a little simpler you can use Bitmeter, it just sits in your taskbar and keeps track of your usage (up and down). It's limited though to keeping track of usage on each computer, not system wide.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)