HWS 204 Bugs

Log in to your receiver via DishAnywhere and see what recordings, timers, etc show up.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

The DishAnywhere page says the receiver is offline. But the receiver shows that it is connected to the Internet and that everything is okay. I wonder if the Dish website might be looking for my old HWS and is not updated to recognize the replacement one I now have?

I have two hoppers and since the new 204 update, each of the hoppers randomly records to a different hopper. For example, last night my timer for hopper 1 started recording and it showed up on hopper 2. Only one of the tuners in each hopper were being used. The tuner screen on hopper 2 was showing the recording, even though the timer is on hopper 1. The other night the opposite happened. When I go back to watch the show later it only shows the first 30 sec. and the rest is corrupted. This never happened until the new 204 update.

Reactions: Troch77
I don't think Dish has any new HWS units left. Manufacturing must have stopped months ago. Dealers may have new, but for sale, not lease.

I'm pretty sure only the H3 and Wally are in production.

My situation came to a resolution this afternoon. After lengthy phone discussions, DISH is sending me yet another replacement Hopper to replace my latest one that is recording dozens of non-timer programs all on its own. This time, they are going to send me a HWS that already has U204 installed so that we don't have to download it again. They are hoping this eliminates the problem that has been plaguing this current HWS since I got it 6 days ago.

I asked about perhaps sending a new SJ also -- to make sure that nothing of the old system remains. But the tech was insistent that the SJ only works off the HWS and could not possibly have been part of the problem. But, then again, he said this is the first time my type of issue has ever come up. As as been suggested here, he was wondering if the previous user's timers could be hidden somewhere in the machine even though they do not show on the timer list.

In any event, DISH tried to be fair with me after I argued with them. I asked about having the remaining 9 months of my 2-year agreement waived and they said not even a supervisor could do that. I told him that it CAN be done. All you have to do is find the right person with the authority -- someone above the supervisors. I was put on hold for about 10-15 minutes and then was told they would waive the rest of my agreement "IF" this next HWS fails to solve the problems. They also gave me 90 free days of HBO, STARZ & CINEMAX.

I thanked them & said that is quite fair.

So I can't complain about that. I told them I'm not really in any hurry to leave DISH because the hundreds of movies I transferred to an EHD would be useless if I went to another service.

So, hopefully this latest HWS (my 4th in the past 14 months) will do the trick.

Thanks to everyone here for all their suggestions and help.

Another bug. Today i was watching a recorded program and started using pip. The recorded program would lose the sound every 10 or 15 seconds for about 2 seconds. After i closed out the pip and went back to the same recorded spots, the drop outs were gone.

Minor bug or graphical glitch.... While the playback bar (??) is on-screen, if you hit the green button to toggle CC, you get (2) overlays for the CC status ("CC is turned off / on").

Anyone confirm this ?

Minor bug or graphical glitch.... While the playback bar (??) is on-screen, if you hit the green button to toggle CC, you get (2) overlays for the CC status ("CC is turned off / on").

Anyone confirm this ?
It's happening here too. Only while the bar is on the screen. Soon as the bar goes, it goes back to one overlay.

My situation came to a resolution this afternoon. After lengthy phone discussions, DISH is sending me yet another replacement Hopper to replace my latest one that is recording dozens of non-timer programs all on its own. This time, they are going to send me a HWS that already has U204 installed so that we don't have to download it again. They are hoping this eliminates the problem that has been plaguing this current HWS since I got it 6 days ago.

I asked about perhaps sending a new SJ also -- to make sure that nothing of the old system remains. But the tech was insistent that the SJ only works off the HWS and could not possibly have been part of the problem. But, then again, he said this is the first time my type of issue has ever come up. As as been suggested here, he was wondering if the previous user's timers could be hidden somewhere in the machine even though they do not show on the timer list.

In any event, DISH tried to be fair with me after I argued with them. I asked about having the remaining 9 months of my 2-year agreement waived and they said not even a supervisor could do that. I told him that it CAN be done. All you have to do is find the right person with the authority -- someone above the supervisors. I was put on hold for about 10-15 minutes and then was told they would waive the rest of my agreement "IF" this next HWS fails to solve the problems. They also gave me 90 free days of HBO, STARZ & CINEMAX.

I thanked them & said that is quite fair.

So I can't complain about that. I told them I'm not really in any hurry to leave DISH because the hundreds of movies I transferred to an EHD would be useless if I went to another service.

So, hopefully this latest HWS (my 4th in the past 14 months) will do the trick.

Thanks to everyone here for all their suggestions and help.

Well, here we go again. As/per my above post, my replacement HWS arrived on Tuesday. As with the previous replacement HWS, it came with S529 instead of U204 as they promised. And, as with the last time, the Carbon oriented SJ would not record or show a program guide. So I called tech support last night and they tried, from their location, to download U204 to the HWS, but it would not work. I then asked him about the remote control button sequence that triggers the Carbon download.

Believe it or not, the tech had never heard about this and asked me to read it to him so he could write it down.

For some reason, it did not trigger the download while talking with him on the phone and he set up a visit for today (Thurs, 3/31) for a tech to bring out an HWS that is already loaded with U204 -- which was what they were supposed to send me in the first place.

However, after getting off the phone, I gave the trick another try. This time, it did the download and it installed U204. The SJ then showed the program guide & was able to record.

Ready for what came next?

Almost immediately after U204 was installed, this replacement HWS began simultaneously recording on all 6 tuners once again -- programming that was NOT set up as timers -- just as the previous HWS was doing. I mean, I haven't even had a chance to ship the previous HWS back to Dish yet -- and its successor is doing the same damn thing.

When the tech arrives later today, I sure hope he truly has an HWS that already has U204 installed. Maybe there is some technological flaw in downloading U204 to the HWS? Otherwise, I cannot begin to imagine what is causing this because nobody seems to have ever heard of such an issue. The old HWS had over 400 unwanted recordings on it when I replaced it with the new replacement. And the replacement already has almost a dozen unwanted recordings after just a couple hours on U204.

The only common thread between these two HWS units is that it is with the same Super Joey. And Dish seems to insist that the SJ only works off the HWS and has nothing to do with it. So they have refused to send me another SJ to go with the replacement HWS units I've received.

Dish had previously said they will waive my early termination fee if this latest HWS does not solve the problem. But I'll see what happens with the next HWS that the tech will be bringing. For Pete's sake, this will be my FIFTH HWS in the past 15 months.

Can any Dish techs here give me any possible reason for this stuff happening to me???

Well, here we go again. As/per my above post, my replacement HWS arrived on Tuesday. As with the previous replacement HWS, it came with S529 instead of U204 as they promised. And, as with the last time, the Carbon oriented SJ would not record or show a program guide. So I called tech support last night and they tried, from their location, to download U204 to the HWS, but it would not work. I then asked him about the remote control button sequence that triggers the Carbon download.

Believe it or not, the tech had never heard about this and asked me to read it to him so he could write it down.

For some reason, it did not trigger the download while talking with him on the phone and he set up a visit for today (Thurs, 3/31) for a tech to bring out an HWS that is already loaded with U204 -- which was what they were supposed to send me in the first place.

However, after getting off the phone, I gave the trick another try. This time, it did the download and it installed U204. The SJ then showed the program guide & was able to record.

Ready for what came next?

Almost immediately after U204 was installed, this replacement HWS began simultaneously recording on all 6 tuners once again -- programming that was NOT set up as timers -- just as the previous HWS was doing. I mean, I haven't even had a chance to ship the previous HWS back to Dish yet -- and its successor is doing the same damn thing.

When the tech arrives later today, I sure hope he truly has an HWS that already has U204 installed. Maybe there is some technological flaw in downloading U204 to the HWS? Otherwise, I cannot begin to imagine what is causing this because nobody seems to have ever heard of such an issue. The old HWS had over 400 unwanted recordings on it when I replaced it with the new replacement. And the replacement already has almost a dozen unwanted recordings after just a couple hours on U204.

The only common thread between these two HWS units is that it is with the same Super Joey. And Dish seems to insist that the SJ only works off the HWS and has nothing to do with it. So they have refused to send me another SJ to go with the replacement HWS units I've received.

Dish had previously said they will waive my early termination fee if this latest HWS does not solve the problem. But I'll see what happens with the next HWS that the tech will be bringing. For Pete's sake, this will be my FIFTH HWS in the past 15 months.

Can any Dish techs here give me any possible reason for this stuff happening to me???

I wonder if it is some kind of LNB issue!

It's astounding that the exact same thing is happening with a second HWS. So it must be something to do with my installation or my account or something. Will be interesting to see what the tech says when he arrives today.

It's astounding that the exact same thing is happening with a second HWS. So it must be something to do with my installation or my account or something. Will be interesting to see what the tech says when he arrives today.

Have you tried disconnecting the SJ before installing the HWS. Then see if the HWS starts recording like crazy. If not, then install SJ and see what happens. This way you will know if it is the HWS or the SJ causing the problem.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: bspei and Hall
I'm suspecting the Super Joey as well. That, or there's been a change in the "refurb" process that Dish does with returned receivers. He's not the first person to see "phantom" timers and recordings with recently replaced units. I don't have a Super Joey but did get a replacement receiver some time ago. When using Dish Anywhere, recordings appeared on "my" DVR that didn't belong to us. These were shows we've never watched/recorded, which was the first clue. The second clue was comparing the recordings list from DA vs what was physically listed on the receiver. They simply didn't match.

That's a good idea. Makes me wonder what would happen if I just disconnected the SJ right now. But I'll wait till the tech arrives today.

When the tech gets here I will make your suggestion to him. In the meantime, looking at the schedule screens I can see that -- for whatever reason -- the HWS tries to record 37 different programs that all come on at the same time. It only records the first 6 and, because all tuners are then in use, the remaining 31 show as "skipped." And it does this without warning.

My regular timer screen only shows the actual timers that I have set up. But later, for the same time period, it will then show all the skipped timers -- plus the 6 recorded -- that suddenly appeared.

Thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts