HWS keeps locking up router

cpa4u

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 18, 2004
I just recently upgraded to an HWS and super Joey system. First time out of town to try the sling function. After about 20-30 mins of streaming, it disconnects. Then will not show any shows available to watch. It says DVR does not have internet connection. I had someone at home track down issue. It was the router. Rebooted it and dish anywhere worked again. Tonight same issue again.

Anyone else have a similar problem? Could it be the router that I'm using? It is a DLink dual band.

How do you have the HWS connected to your network? Have you tried resetting the network connection in the receiver menus and/or resetting the router? Can you try a different connection method?

I had a similar issue once but with my Vonage box. It sorta did the same thing. I added a switch to the output of my four port router and connected all my equipment to the switch. No more problems. Don't know why, but it works.

Modem > Router > Switch > Equipment.

Well now I'm on my 3rd reset of router. It is an ethernet connection back to the router. I have reset the connection thru the menu and also reset router.

Considering you are using a wired connection I would suggest making sure the wireless on the HWS is not connecting as well.

It's not unheard-of for older consumer-grade routers to fail in heavy use scenarios. I had one that wouldn't stand up to torrenting. I've never sniffed my network to find out if the Hopper uses multiple connections when streaming, but I seem to remember reading complaints here from people saying that their Hopper saturates their network.

I'm going to try the switch suggestion first since that would be a cheap fix. If that doesn't work, what would be a better router to purchase?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)