HWS keeps locking up router

cpa4u

SatelliteGuys Family
Oct 18, 2004
I just recently upgraded to an HWS and super Joey system. First time out of town to try the sling function. After about 20-30 mins of streaming, it disconnects. Then will not show any shows available to watch. It says DVR does not have internet connection. I had someone at home track down issue. It was the router. Rebooted it and dish anywhere worked again. Tonight same issue again.

Anyone else have a similar problem? Could it be the router that I'm using? It is a DLink dual band.

MattG@DISH

SatelliteGuys Pro
Dec 30, 2010
Denver, Colorado
How do you have the HWS connected to your network? Have you tried resetting the network connection in the receiver menus and/or resetting the router? Can you try a different connection method?

Skytrooper

SatelliteGuys Pro
Nov 5, 2012
Baden, Pa.
I had a similar issue once but with my Vonage box. It sorta did the same thing. I added a switch to the output of my four port router and connected all my equipment to the switch. No more problems. Don't know why, but it works.

Modem > Router > Switch > Equipment.

cpa4u

SatelliteGuys Family
Oct 18, 2004
Well now I'm on my 3rd reset of router. It is an ethernet connection back to the router. I have reset the connection thru the menu and also reset router.

darrengs

SatelliteGuys Pro
May 13, 2012
NJ
Considering you are using a wired connection I would suggest making sure the wireless on the HWS is not connecting as well.

Jim S.

When someone asks you if you're a god, you say yes
Lifetime Supporter
Jan 2, 2006
FN11od
It's not unheard-of for older consumer-grade routers to fail in heavy use scenarios. I had one that wouldn't stand up to torrenting. I've never sniffed my network to find out if the Hopper uses multiple connections when streaming, but I seem to remember reading complaints here from people saying that their Hopper saturates their network.

cpa4u

SatelliteGuys Family
Oct 18, 2004
I'm going to try the switch suggestion first since that would be a cheap fix. If that doesn't work, what would be a better router to purchase?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts