HWS: Problem opening files, Error 04

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Tony S

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 7, 2003
Hills of Eastern CT
Yesterday, when I selected a DVR recorded show to watch, my HWS put up an error screen: "A problem was encountered when opening the files for this DVR event. Please note the Error Code: 04". If I then go ahead and select the event, the DVR goes to the "event over" screen. I have never seen this before.

Does anyone know what Error Code 04 means?

Loosely translated, I think it means "Transfer everything you want to keep to an EHD, pronto, if you can."

Reactions: charlesrshell
Supposedly, it means Signal Loss. But in practice, seems to mean if it recurs, you will need to replace the receiver.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Thanks. Signal loss makes sense because on that same day I had a few recordings that were broken into 2 segments, just like when you have a brief signal loss...except that the weather was perfect, no reason for signal loss.

I already transferred my important recordings to my EHD because I am skeptical of this receiver. Back on August 16th, I got the "Your timers have been saved but any recordings have been lost" message on my HWS, and the receiver reformatted the hard drive erasing all my recordings. Since then, I have had no problems.

I hope this is just another one-time event!

What's EHD? Where do I find it in order to transfer everything I want to keep?
It's something you buy yourself. EHD stands for External Hard Disk.

A HwS can handle a total of 7TB disks, though some (bookworm?) report getting 8TB to show up at once using 6 and 2TB disks. I have not been able to add my 1.5TB disks to my 6TB disks; it's only 1 at a time for me. :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)