HWS: Problem opening files, Error 04

Tony S

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 7, 2003
Hills of Eastern CT
Yesterday, when I selected a DVR recorded show to watch, my HWS put up an error screen: "A problem was encountered when opening the files for this DVR event. Please note the Error Code: 04". If I then go ahead and select the event, the DVR goes to the "event over" screen. I have never seen this before.

Does anyone know what Error Code 04 means?

Loosely translated, I think it means "Transfer everything you want to keep to an EHD, pronto, if you can."

Reactions: charlesrshell
Supposedly, it means Signal Loss. But in practice, seems to mean if it recurs, you will need to replace the receiver.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Thanks. Signal loss makes sense because on that same day I had a few recordings that were broken into 2 segments, just like when you have a brief signal loss...except that the weather was perfect, no reason for signal loss.

I already transferred my important recordings to my EHD because I am skeptical of this receiver. Back on August 16th, I got the "Your timers have been saved but any recordings have been lost" message on my HWS, and the receiver reformatted the hard drive erasing all my recordings. Since then, I have had no problems.

I hope this is just another one-time event!

What's EHD? Where do I find it in order to transfer everything I want to keep?
It's something you buy yourself. EHD stands for External Hard Disk.

A HwS can handle a total of 7TB disks, though some (bookworm?) report getting 8TB to show up at once using 6 and 2TB disks. I have not been able to add my 1.5TB disks to my 6TB disks; it's only 1 at a time for me. :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)