Hypothetical question -- DirecTV DVR return

Status
Please reply by conversation.

corin

Original poster
Jan 27, 2011
USA
If someone were to cancel their DirecTV service and decide to keep the DVR (which they are leasing, of course), what would the consequences be?

I imagine DTV would ask you to return it, but I mean long term.

Hypothetically.

They'll charge you a non-return fee of (I believe) around $400, & it will be blacklisted in the system, so that it CANNOT be reactivated.
If you don't pay it, it'll go on your credit report.
Also, you will not be able to play back pre-recorded shows, as it will eventually lose it's DVR authorization.

If someone were to cancel their DirecTV service and decide to keep the DVR (which they are leasing, of course), what would the consequences be?

I imagine DTV would ask you to return it, but I mean long term.

Hypothetically.

It would be cheaper to buy a DVD burner and some blank DVD's

I think the worst long term affect would be the blemish on their credit report which stays on for at least 7 years. That could effect everything from getting credit to buy a house of car, renting an apartment or getting a job. Not worth it just to get a DVR which will be worthless because DirecTV will have flagged it as stolen so it can't be activated.

We dont mark things as stolen ...

we would charge 275 for the box the box would still remain as a "lease" box in an account that been sent off to collections. which at that point he has a worthless dvr unless he wants to come back to dtv after paying what ever is do in collections. But the box will be blocked from any kind of activations because of it.

I thought it was $400 for a non returned hd dvr. Has that changed?

raoul5788 said:
I thought it was $400 for a non returned hd dvr. Has that changed?

I'm with you, I thought it was $400 as well.
Also, don't forget, if your still under contract (2 years) you'll pay that as well, if your shutting off service.

Maybe I am remembering incorrectly. Maybe it's changed. Maybe I'm crazy. All are viable answers!

Maybe I am remembering incorrectly. Maybe it's changed. Maybe I'm crazy. All are viable answers!

Direct tv rules/pricing/ and everything else, something changes whenever the wind changes direction.
I don't suppose anyone unless you are directly in a department that has to do with the changes could possibly keep up with it.
Not to mention the misinformation that is passed around.
Hell, for that matter I have been told wrong by CSR's on commitments which I have passed on because it was what I was told.

That being said, I too thought it was $400

I usually now just make it a point when asked by customers to tell them I have no idea and that I just put them in. I am sure some will say it makes me a horrible installer and I will never be allowed to work on their house (and yes, I have done this way before every jumped my case about being wrong on stuff).

Direct tv rules/pricing/ and everything else, something changes whenever the wind changes direction.
I don't suppose anyone unless you are directly in a department that has to do with the changes could possibly keep up with it.
Not to mention the misinformation that is passed around.
Hell, for that matter I have been told wrong by CSR's on commitments which I have passed on because it was what I was told.

That being said, I too thought it was $400

I usually now just make it a point when asked by customers to tell them I have no idea and that I just put them in. I am sure some will say it makes me a horrible installer and I will never be allowed to work on their house (and yes, I have done this way before every jumped my case about being wrong on stuff).

Yes it better to say you install the stuff and let the phone jockeys deal with the fees .

This is how it works hddvr the NRF (non return fee ) is 250 dollars + tax usually run 275 in most states .

So they are getting more then 400 in there eyes . you paid 199 for the hddvr + 250 that is 449

Thanks for the info, Mr. Cold. One more thing: If someone were to disconnect the DVR before the service is cut - and never connect it to the sat again - would the recordings still play no matter how much time passes?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts