I ain't heard no fat lady!

hell, maybe now they'll put all their HD-DVD movies in a nice little display like they did of BD instead of just scattering them in with regular DVDs

Sounds like it. But like so much with CC over the past 2 or 3 years, they're a day late and a dollar short. They should have done this from day one- or not bother at all.

Of course, what would help both formats would be some serious pricing controls. I can get HD-DVD and BD movies anywhere from $18 to $50. Wal-mart/target/online being lowend to BB/CC being at the high end.

The HD-DVD camp is probably providing CC with some marketing $$ to get them to make the change. Stores do anything for the $. You know the Blu-Ray camp has been supporting stores with the marketing $$. Press releases make it sound like momentum for one side or the other, but it is really just marketing funds making them change.

http://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6418854.html?nid=2705

Circuit City embraces HD DVD.

Uh oh... As long as this isn't history repeating itself with Divx.....

Oops! I posted about the VB article in the other "Blu-ray sales top HD DVD" thread before seeing you had already posted it here. My apologies; I deleted my post.

I thought there were several interesting points in addition to that CC has added Toshiba & HD DVD. The total discs sold in each format of 700,000 was interesting; it's the first time I've seen some hard numbers on dsic sales. Hardley a groundswell. The comment from the BB rep sumed it up pretty well: “It’s not like the consumer has spoken,” Best Buy spokesman Brian Lucas said. “The numbers are still really small, and it’s still early in the game.”

I also thought the "attach rate" was interesing. Assuming 1 milliion BR players and 200,000 HD DVD players (both including game consoles), the equal 700,000 in disc sales works out to sales of 3 1/2 HD DVD titles for each player, and less than one (.7) for Blu-ray. I guess some of those PS3 owners actually do use it for gaming. :rolleyes:

I've really been kinda surprised by all the doom & gloom on the HD DVd side recently. HD DVD was outselling BD 3 to 1 and outclassing it in quality the first six months of the formats' launch, but few doubted that Blu-ray would come back. Now, two months of PS3 and heavy BLu-ray titles releases to support it and it's supposed to be all over for HD DVD? Never underestimate Microsoft, and they have a vested interest in making the PS3 irrelevant.

I ain't even seen no fat lady, let alone hear her warming up. :p

All M$ wants is the ability to download HD movies over the internet. They really would like everyone to use their VC-1 compression even though they don't own it outright their contiuned work with the encoders has shown some nice improvements. As for the PS3 being irrelevant -- M$ can keep dreaming.

First off, Sony is too big. The Japanese would never let Sony crash and burn. Second, the Playstation brand was still the biggest seller over Xmas. That PS2 keeps smoking and Sony is making a killing off of the PS2. They would need to considering how much they are losing for every PS3 sold.

As for the attach rate, I have 25 BDs and counting. While I am sure that I am not alone the percentage of PS3 owners who purchase BD movies is probably around 20%. Still, BD sales caught up and passed HD-DVD disc sales after being behind almost 5 to 1. BD did that basically in 10 weeks. After HD-DVD was enjoying the limelight all by itself it now has competition. And stiff competition at that.

The next 3 months with BD-Java launching on BD and some very big titles coming out on BD should really make this a foot race to XMAS 2007. Maybe Universal saw these coming months and saved a little something for you HD-DVD fans. I sure hope so because if the HD-DVD camp goes thru the next 3 months like the last 2 then the fat lady just might start warming her vocal chords.

It will be a crowd of fat ladies yodeling once a major release comes out - and is ONLY available on high definition. Might be quite a long time before we see that, maybe only long after the war is settled.

Unless $ony decides to use one of it's companies to give a major boost to another of it's companies. It might not even involve a big loss on their part. Just release it on Blu-ray only, it helps drive sales of players, then more people will buy the movie. And then, after a year, say, release a standard DVD version. You've delayed profits, but for the mega company as a whole, increased them and solidified the format. This would have to be done carefully, and not too soon. You'd have to have some players out at lower prices.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)