The fat lady is warming up

I meant for my statement to be light hearted as Joe doesn't often make such statements.

I am not infallible either, and I've backed down when facts have been presented to refute something I've stated.

I relish our spirited debate here, and like ANY good debate, we emphasize those points that bolster OUR argument, and tend to wave away ones that don't.

Nothing has changed to move Joe off being a BluRay proponent, just as we, the HD DVD proponents, still remain unmoving in our camp.

I've always preferred HD DVD's advantages to Blu Ray, and hope it ultimately wins out. I may even give up and embrace a neutral status and buy a good universal player if one hits $300 from a brand name manufacturer. I think that is two years off at best though.

I look forward to many more conversations in the future.

I STILL think it is a great sig quote though..... Especially for anyone who frequents the HD DVD vs. Blu Ray forum.....

I meant for my statement to be light hearted as Joe doesn't often make such statements.

I am not infallible either, and I've backed down when facts have been presented to refute something I've stated.

I relish our spirited debate here, and like ANY good debate, we emphasize those points that bolster OUR argument, and tend to wave away ones that don't.

Nothing has changed to move Joe off being a BluRay proponent, just as we, the HD DVD proponents, still remain unmoving in our camp.

I've always preferred HD DVD's advantages to Blu Ray, and hope it ultimately wins out. I may even give up and embrace a neutral status and buy a good universal player if one hits $300 from a brand name manufacturer. I think that is two years off at best though.

I look forward to many more conversations in the future.

I STILL think it is a great sig quote though..... Especially for anyone who frequents the HD DVD vs. Blu Ray forum.....

And I was not referring to you alone Bob, I did not know how to include the post contained within your quote and include both in my post. Confused yet?
Anyway, I frequent this forum daily and I feel Joe gets beat up more than most and I realize this IS the war zone, post at your own risk.

I did see the smiley face after your post and I know your comment was in jest, but sometimes you read something and cannot let it go.
I, as you, have been entertained by all the conversations and I too, look forward to more in the future. War on!

Let's try this, Paidgeek is the VP of Sony Pictures. Where does Sony Pictures have any involvement in the design, production, and continued developement of the PS3. Uhh -- NONE! Paidgeed does not even have a inside at PS3 in North America. He deals with Sony Pictures and Sony Pictures alone. He has NO INPUT - NO OUTPUT - NO ONE ON THE BOARD - NO ONE UNDER THE TABLE at the Sony Electronics Division. He only knows what Sony Electronics wants him to know when they want him to know it.

Having said that, if Paidgeek wants to comment on Sony Pictures, when they might include BDJava 1.1 or 2.0 on one of their pictures and what information they are going to be implementing then I will pay attention. However, any comment he has on the ongoing developement of the PS3 is only from what Sony wants him to know.

He has no input on the Playstation 3 nor any on Sony's BD Players. Hey, Maybe Sony has decided to let Sony Pictures run Sony Electronics? My guess is -- NOPE!!

Why don't you listen to Harrison instead. Oh wait, he is the man in charge of marketing the PS3 here in the good ol USA. I guess Paidgeek is supposed to know more then Harrison and Harrison is just telling lies!

Here is the bottom line -- BDJava 2.0 requires an ethernet connection, two video and two audio decoders, 512k of memory OR 1GB of storage. GEE, the PS3 has that right now. It also has HDMI 1.3 and if anyone had looked at the audio out of the PS3 the audio list includes the ablility to pass 7.1 in bitstream thru the HDMI port. Even the company implementing DTS-HD Master has reported that they are now working directly with Sony to implement DTS-HD Master Decoding by March 08.

The question has always been will Sony allow this to happen before CE manufacturers put their BD players on the market or if they will allow the PS3 to do this. The question has NEVER been if the PS3 had the hardware to do BDJava 1.1 or 2.0 -- that was a given from the very begining. The question has always been if and when.

Maybe you guys noticed that the PS3 has had no problems yet with any version of Java on a BD movie to date? I guess PS3 owners are just lucky -- huh!

LMAO. Literally.
Paidgeek knows nothing, JoeSp knows everything... Hilarious!

...Why don't you listen to Harrison instead. Oh wait, he is the man in charge of marketing the PS3 here in the good ol USA. I guess Paidgeek is supposed to know more then Harrison and Harrison is just telling lies!
No, you mixed up again. It's you that's telling lies. You, got it?
Show where Harrison says the PS3 does 1.1 now, and we'll talk.
Until then... well, you know what to do (and everybody knows, you won't).
...The question has NEVER been if the PS3 had the hardware to do BDJava 1.1 or 2.0 -- that was a given from the very begining.
The question has always been if and when.
EXACTLY! Are you smarting up, or what?
This is the only thing paidgeek was telling you.
He was actually more optimistic than you, he never said if. :p

On a tangent note: after Kutaragi's promotion/firing, the PS3 division does what it is told to do.
Kutaragi singlehandedly put a BD drive into PS3, but what it will be allowed to do will be decided by others.
And by others, I don't mean you, JoeSp...

Diogen.

Diogen, where did I say I knew everthing? I just questioned your using Paidgeek like he had an inside seat at Sony Electronics (which he doesn't) and you attack me personally. You really do not have anything other then bs to offer do you?

Phil Harrison has said many times that when Java 1.1 is required the PS3 will be updated to allow full compliance. I have stated more then once that the PS3 currently has been able to do the following: update over the internet thru the ethernet port, play back two video sources with audio for each at the same time, save information on the harddrive (hence the reason you can quit multiple tasks - viewing a movie, checking out a feature, playing a video, playing a game and go right back to the exact place where you stop whatever you were doing. With the PS3 you can interact with other PS3 users over the internet both in a game scenario and outside of a game scenario and this includes a live feed both video and audio between users. In addition there have been no Java - Games on the BD movies that the PS3 has yet failed to play. No interactive or animated menu that the PS3 has failed to play. Maybe the PS3 isn't calling the firmware they are using to do BDJava BD Java1.1 but with the announced firmware update perhaps then it will be called that and you can chill out.

In the meantime, since you are obviously the PS3 knowitall - would you like to explain- since you have a PS3 and know so much about what features that BDJava 1.1 will introduce to BD standalones- what features the PS3 currently is not doing right now? You may call Paidgeek now.

In the meantime, since you are obviously the PS3 knowitall...
WTF does this have to do with the discussion. I don't have a PS3, I won't have a PS3.
I quoted one statement by paidgeek about PS3 abilities. You took it personal.
Phil Harrison has said many times that when Java 1.1 is required the PS3 will be updated to allow full compliance.
So, it is not compliant yet, right?

Paidgeek: It is expected to be 1.1 compliant...
Harrison: It will be updated to be 1.1 compliant...
JoeSp: It is 1.1 compliant now...

Notice any difference?
Or maybe experience working for defunct companies clouds your vision?

BTW, care to provide a link to Harrison quote?
Because what you say he says is... you know...

Diogen.