The fat lady is warming up

There is a flip side to region coding......moving going faster from the theaters (that I rarely go to) to the home (where I watch a majority of my movies).

Wile it may not be the most consumer friendly to region code the discs I’m willing to take that from the studios if I can get a movie to watch in my house 4 months after it is released in the theaters.

Well, I think until there is a mass migration made, neither one of them will win out over DVD. Situation is pricing. Until people have their $100-$200 players, they will not buy into a technology. Why buy a $600 BD player when it will be available in a couple years for less then $200? I say the first to reach the $200 player mark will be the real winner in this war. Both have great benefits, and both are better then DVD. But look at reality...What percentage of houses have HD TV's right now? Not 100%, probley not even 50%. It is a huge expanding business, but until people can get their cheap electronics, no major victory can be made.

The only thing a HD-DVD player does that BD will not is region coding.
Actually, it's the other way around...
As for HDi, it is October and BD players currently being marketed must now meet the specs for BDJava 1.1.
No, they don't. And some of them won't. Ever.
My PS3 already meets BDJava 2.0.
You wish. It's the same as owners of the first Toshiba HD DVD player claiming it can read TL51.
But if you pray long ehough and hard enough, it might happen. Eventually.

Diogen.

1. I believe the first movie with BD+ is "Day after Tomorrow."

2. You want to talk specs? Triple layer 51GB MAYBE-DVD.

3. I believe it's all models certified after October 31 that must meet the final specs, 1.1, whatever you want to call it.

4. Krans, it's not a war against DVD. It's between HD DVD and Blu-ray at this point. The winner, if there is one, will increase in market share over many years. Eventually, the cost to a buyer for a player that does just DVD, and one that does high def and DVD, will become so close as to drive the DVD only players into the closet with 8 track players. The extra cost of producing a high def disc will descend toward zero, eventually reducing their production to a niche. More and more TVs sold will show noticeable PQ improvement with high def. For X% more, J6P can get that. Each year, X decreases and more people shift over. Once you're buying high def, you're not likely to buy a DVD unless you want the title badly and it's not available on high def. Portable and vehicle based players are being discussed now and we'll no doubt see them in a year or so. Between 30% and 35% of U.S. households have HDTVs today.

5. Yes, current non-PiP 1.0 BD players can continue to be sold indefinitely. But as manufacturing costs for better, more capable players decreases, those models will disappear. I suspect retailers will stop offering them first, as returns mount from people that discover the model they bought doesn't show the director's commentary or some such.

6. The PS3 has the hardware to meet 2.0, it only needs a firmware upgrade. Do you really think that won't appear?

6. The PS3 has the hardware to meet 2.0, it only needs a firmware upgrade. Do you really think that won't appear?
No. I dont think BD will make it that far. Heck they cant even get most of their players to swallow ver 1.1. Not sure how they are going to lower prices and and more hardware at the same time. Seems like a losing situation to me.

The PS3 already meets the 1.1 specs with the last major upgrade. The only thing it is currently not doing is decoding DTS-HD Master. It would be fine with me if they would just allow the PS3 to pass it as a bitstream and allow my Onkyo to do the decoding.

Gee, if some of you would just go out and buy a PS3 you would know that most of the FUD you spread about the PS3 is just that, FUD!

The PS3 already meets the 1.1 specs with the last major upgrade. The only thing it is currently not doing is decoding DTS-HD Master. It would be fine with me if they would just allow the PS3 to pass it as a bitstream and allow my Onkyo to do the decoding.

From Wikipedia:

Profile 1 (Final Standard Profile) (mandatory November 2007)-unofficially referred to as "Profile 1.1"- adds a secondary video decoder (typically used for picture in picture), secondary audio (typically used for interactive audio and commentary) and the capability of supporting a minimum of 256 MB of persistent memory (for storing audio/video and title updates) through either built in memory or with user provided memory such as a memory card or a USB flash drive. Compliance with this profile will be mandatory for player models introduced to the market after October 31, 2007,[1] but existing products will be unaffected.

From AVSForum, PS3 Firmware 1.9 Master Discussion Thread -

Firmware version 1.9, which Sony confirmed to CVG will go live in the UK tomorrow, brings with it background customisation, moving avatars, Emoticons (those smiley faces in text chat) and a list of other tweaks and additions that further extend and streamline your PS3's already diverse functionality.

The update went live in Japan today, and here's the full list of exactly what's changed (translation courtesy of Kotaku):

- Ability to rearrange games on the XMB
- Option menu now includes "eject disk"
- Press triangle to eject games/CDs/movies in the XMB
- XMB backgrounds
- Change the folder classification
- Emoticons
- Change CD output to 44.1/88.2/176.4kHz
- Force 24Hz output for Blu-ray over HDMI
- Change PS3 video settings in-game
-"Bit Mapping" in the "Music Setting"
- Save AVCHD type animations from a Memory Stick
- Change settings like upscaling while playing PS and PS2 games
- Add bookmarks
- Web browser security function in the browser's tool section
Avatar moves during audio visual chat

Gee, if some of you would just go out and buy a PS3 you would know that most of the FUD you spread about the PS3 is just that, FUD!

I had a PS3, until I decided to sell it while it still had some re-sale value with Sony's continual model changing, hardware stripping and desperate price dropping strategy. It had the "last major upgrade", aka Firmware 1.9. Unless I missed something, my Avatar moving during audio visual chatting has nothing to do with BD1.1 profile. :rolleyes:

The PS3 has two Video decoders and audio decoders that work right now. Maybe you should rent a PS3 and watch the Guardian on BD. When you watch the movie you can select to view and hear comments by the Director - you get to select which questions and you can do this while the movie plays in the background - video and sound. As for memory my PS3 has 60gb of hard drive and 1.3meg of memory. That is 512 split on both sides of the CPU and GFX and 128kb per spree times 7. Seems the PS3 is doing just fine as a BD player.

I had a PS3, until I decided to sell it while it still had some re-sale value with Sony's continual model changing, hardware stripping and desperate price dropping strategy. It had the "last major upgrade", aka Firmware 1.9. Unless I missed something, my Avatar moving during audio visual chatting has nothing to do with BD1.1 profile. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

I am glad you were able to sell your PS3. Seems you did not look at it very closely through. If you had you would of noticed that the PS3 has a lot hardware tucked under its skin and has plenty of room to grow. As for a new sku, seems the XBOX360 with its defect now address by M$ (with their 3 year warranty because the defect can not be fixed) has also brought out a new product for less. Is it because they are grasping at straws? I think not.

Sorry, but your statement is without merit. Both companies are improving their product with revisions, lower costs, and hopefully a better build. Right now through it is Sony who is delivering a hassle free product not Microsoft. Based on the repair of both units the XBOX360 is the Hugo of consoles while the Sony is the Toyota of consoles. So I don't think that Sony bringing out a lower cost product is a white flag -- no rather it is a green flag -- the race is on.

ps -- the PS 3 has been able to do dual video and sound at the same time since April, the last time there was a major revision of the software. Small additions to the features are not major revisions.

The PS3 has two Video decoders and audio decoders that work right now. Maybe you should rent a PS3 and watch the Guardian on BD. When you watch the movie you can select to view and hear comments by the Director - you get to select which questions and you can do this while the movie plays in the background - video and sound. As for memory my PS3 has 60gb of hard drive and 1.3meg of memory. That is 512 split on both sides of the CPU and GFX and 128kb per spree times 7. Seems the PS3 is doing just fine as a BD player.
Geez... How many times we have to go through this...
http://www.satelliteguys.us/990220-post25.html

Paidgeek says "It is expected that the PS3 will have updates offered that can support profile 1.1 and even 2.0."

Now take a guess, who of you two deserves to be trusted?

Diogen.

The PS3 is already doing what 1.1 is asking of the other players. Who cares what paidgeek says. Only Paidgeek says maybe -- everyone else says that it will be able to support both 1.1 (already doing those features now) and 2.0. You must have your hands in his pockets because it is always Paidgeek this and Paidgeek that like he was your personal guru.

The only question about the PS3 is if and/or when Sony will allow DTS-HD Master decoding by the PS3. Or if the PS3 can pass the HD codecs by bitstream thru the HDMI. There has never been a question to if the PS3 can do either Java 1.1 or 2.0. I guess only the followers of Paidgeek believe differant -- like he works for Sony or Sun Microsystems!:rolleyes:

Only Paidgeek says maybe -- everyone else says that it will be able to support both 1.1 (already doing those features now) and 2.0.
Let's try it one last time and very slowly...
Paidgeek is a Senior Vice President at Sony Pictures and therefore can't be accused in being a closet supporter of HD DVD. He was caught overestimating BD's abilities (e.g. mandatory hidef PiP) but never underestimating them. Hence, what everyone else dumb ass says BD in general or PS3 in particular can or can't do becomes irrelevant.

I hope this will close the topic as it did many times before when you were caught with a foot in your mouth...

Diogen.

EDIT: There is a good reason to believe he was the driving force behind getting The Fifth Element re-released by going back to the original master
and replacing free of charge... Or all you BD fans would still have a crappy MPEG-2 version of a movie that actually created the DVD "explosion".

Last edited:
I saw a post over on the AVSForum that made me think "Oh yeah" :eureka

Sony had better thought ahead enough to make the PS3 BD 1.1 compliant - otherwise after Oct. 31 they're never be able to introduce a new SKU for the PS3 unless it is.

Hmmmm . . . . . could it be that is why they have a new SKU for the much rumored 40GB $399 version . . . . in October? :eek:

And it comes out on Oct 30th, one day before the deadline. :eek:
I think Sony has to "pay" the BD CE manufacturers for their loyalty...
If the Chinese BD players (claimed as coming by Keith) take over the low end market and PS3 the middle market, all that will be left is the high end.
I don't think this will make other CE makers happy in the long term (it's OK for now when hidef playback is a premium service by definition).

Diogen.

I might be wrong here but I believe it was Hitachi that sold that technology to the Russians and their products carried such a high tarrif after that you did not see their consumer products for years.

From The National Review, Aug 14th, 1987...

Tackling Toshiba - sanctions against Toshiba Corp. for exporting technology to Soviet Union
National Review, August 14, 1987 by John McLaughlin

TACKLING TOSHIBA

TOSHIBA MACHINE Company sold propeller machines to the Soviet Union for two years (1982 to 1984), allowing the Russians to build super-quiet, nearly undetectable submarines. Experts say the U.S. will now have to shell out $40 billion to upgrade its own submarines to a state of noiselessness that will maintain the prior American advantage. In addition, Toshiba lied about the sale so as not to alert the Japanese government.........

The Senate has voted overwhelmingly (95 to 2) to punish the entire Toshiba Corporation, not just the offending Machine Company subsidiary, by banning all of its imports for two to five years. The President had said he would veto the comprehensive sanctions if they reached his desk.

From The National Review, Aug 14th, 1987...

Tackling Toshiba - sanctions against Toshiba Corp. for exporting technology to Soviet Union
National Review, August 14, 1987 by John McLaughlin

TACKLING TOSHIBA

TOSHIBA MACHINE Company sold propeller machines to the Soviet Union for two years (1982 to 1984), allowing the Russians to build super-quiet, nearly undetectable submarines. Experts say the U.S. will now have to shell out $40 billion to upgrade its own submarines to a state of noiselessness that will maintain the prior American advantage. In addition, Toshiba lied about the sale so as not to alert the Japanese government.........

The Senate has voted overwhelmingly (95 to 2) to punish the entire Toshiba Corporation, not just the offending Machine Company subsidiary, by banning all of its imports for two to five years. The President had said he would veto the comprehensive sanctions if they reached his desk.

I :bow to your superiority.

Hitachi was also hit for a triple tarrif in the 80's that lasted for 10 years due to stealing computer secrets from IBM. Creative Audio was a Hitachi electronics dealer in the 80's and those products disappeared from the shelves for awhile. :

://select.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=F30A1FF83D5C0C7B8DDDAD0894DB484D81&n=Top%2fReference%2fTimes%20Topics%2fSubjects%2fF%2fFines%20%28Penalties%29

I got the two mixed up and defer to your research. Once again I take my :hatsoff: to you on your accuracy. I was wrong and you were right.:eek:

Thanks Joe. I remember vividly because my roommate and I threw out one of our TV's. We also downed a bottle of champagne when our pilots "accidentally" dropped a laser guided bomb on the French Embassy in Libya, but that's really digressing. :)

Let's try it one last time and very slowly...
Paidgeek is a Senior Vice President at Sony Pictures and therefore can't be accused in being a closet supporter of HD DVD. He was caught overestimating BD's abilities (e.g. mandatory hidef PiP) but never underestimating them. Hence, what everyone else dumb ass says BD in general or PS3 in particular can or can't do becomes irrelevant.

I hope this will close the topic as it did many times before when you were caught with a foot in your mouth...

Diogen.

EDIT: There is a good reason to believe he was the driving force behind getting The Fifth Element re-released by going back to the original master
and replacing free of charge... Or all you BD fans would still have a crappy MPEG-2 version of a movie that actually created the DVD "explosion".

did you have to B$tch slap Joe that badly? :haha