WOW-- Has the format war Heated Up?

Exactly my point, even if they DID buy the HD player it's very likely they will purchase the non HD DVD movies primarily because of price and secondly, and unfortunately, because they are unaware of the difference.

Now that I will agree with... I think the players are pretty close to where they need to be to fuel a big growth, but the movies themselves need to come down, for sure.

"If you visit the HDM part of AVS forum (the one that covers both formats), three quarters of the posts on there are in favor of HD-DVD."

That's because AVS, or AVM$ as it's known to some, has routinely deleted many of the Blu-ray positive posts. That has the effect of actively discouraging Blu-ray supporters from visiting. Perhaps recently they have eased off on that policy. Of course, HD DVD types may spring to their defense, saying they're "neutral." Let's just say there's a difference of opinion on that.

Doesn't matter. Most people that buy discs, even HD discs, don't frequent forums on the matter. They're most likely to see movies they want, and studios like Disney. The Disney name is quite powerful. Then they decide which to buy, if any. Most still decide to wait for a single format and lower prices. Q4 seems to be seeing sales pick up. I eagerly await figures published in January.

...how many consumers who throw that $200 player in their shopping cart will actually make the connection that they have to buy HDDVD software to enjoy HD?:confused:
The potentially biggest effect the sub-$200 HD players might have is bundling an HDTV with a HD player:
it is dicey proposition for a $500 player but almost a no-brainer for $199. "Buy a $1500 HDTV and get the player free".

After the player is in the home, studios can pray people will "see the light" and prefer the HD version of the movie to regular DVDs.

It is hard to predict what will trigger the avalanche of hidef acceptance (if such thing will take place).

Diogen.

The potentially biggest effect the sub-$200 HD players might have is bundling an HDTV with a HD player:
it is dicey proposition for a $500 player but almost a no-brainer for $199. "Buy a $1500 HDTV and get the player free".

After the player is in the home, studios can pray people will "see the light" and prefer the HD version of the movie to regular DVDs.

It is hard to predict what will trigger the avalanche of hidef acceptance (if such thing will take place).

Diogen.

And also pray the consumer uses at LEAST a component cable to connect the HD player and HDTV, I don't think any of the HD players include an HDMI cable, but I'm sure someone will correct me If I'm wrong.:D

Blu Ray fanboys always distort the truth because if they don't there are no advantages over HD-DVD. As a wise man once said...If Blu Ray is good enough then so is HD-DVD.

And also pray the consumer uses at LEAST a component cable to connect the HD player and HDTV, I don't think any of the HD players include an HDMI cable, but I'm sure someone will correct me If I'm wrong.:D

No kidding. I talked to a guy just yesterday who was thinking his S-Video cable would be fine for the new HDTV and HD-DVR he just got...

"If you visit the HDM part of AVS forum (the one that covers both formats), three quarters of the posts on there are in favor of HD-DVD."

That's because AVS, or AVM$ as it's known to some, has routinely deleted many of the Blu-ray positive posts.
Wow. Now you are lying not only about BD superiority but also AVS forums:rolleyes:

It's easy to predict. The same price as the regular DVD will make them switch.
And I don't mean the price on Amazon or any other internet site, I mean the price in Wal-mart and Target, when most movies are purchased.

As I said -- this war is heating up! I noticed that no one stated that I lied anywhere in my orignal post. But boy, if my ears have not singed off by now they aren't going to be.

This frenzy caused by my post is a very good example of what I am saying about this war of words heating up. There are personal attacks by the HD-DVD crowd on the BD crowd. You guys go into the BD Forum and start attacking any posistive posts about BD (Diogen you do this more then anybody). And then you guys go and start talking about tech points of which HD-DVD is not better in any respect then BD other then HDi is functing now and BD-Java will not be until -- well next month. And the only thing I see HDi giving you is the ability to go online and shop in studio stores.

If you guys think studios are not going to be looking at who is selling more discs for them then let someone here come forth and tell me that if Transformers was on BluRay it would not of outsold HD-DVD flat? Even Warner has admited that BluRay outsells HD-DVD on their titles 2 to 1.

It is disc sales that will push this market not hardware sales. The hardware is useless if there is no software to sell (Main reason for low PS3 sales besides price). And if the only way HD-DVD can get a studio to be exclusive with their format is to pay them a ton of money along with what they are already giving away (cheap players) then HD-DVD is no farther along in ending this format war then BluRay is.

The thing that must really be stuck in HD-DVD's throat is that BD disc sales continuely outpace HD-DVD. At times not by much but at least someone with a BluRay player is able to buy their movies on BD at a great price now and then. And you think that the consumer is not looking at this? And you also think the studios did not notice how well Disney did during their 1 for 1 sale? Nobody twisted my arm in buying the 5 BD movies and getting 5 BD movies for free. If another studio does that I will do the same again! Let me know when you can buy a HD-DVD movie for $15. And let me know when the consumer did'nt noticed that sale?

It is disc sales that will push this market not hardware sales. The hardware is useless if there is no software to sell (Main reason for low PS3 sales besides price). And if the only way HD-DVD can get a studio to be exclusive with their format is to pay them a ton of money along with what they are already giving away (cheap players) then HD-DVD is no farther along in ending this format war then BluRay is.

Here is the Chicken and the egg scenario. No software=no hardware. No hardware=no software. Who caves first? Toshiba has caved first realizing they have to get players into homes. I agree with you on the PS3. No software = low sales. So what is everybody buying? Wii, XBox, and PS2. Warner is a software company. They are looking at the biggest hardware penetration to sell their discs as is every other studio, hence the low number of titles studios are releasing.

As for BD-J, the first 2 announced titles are due in January. T3 is not a true BD-J title as it will use a burned in image.

S~

Joe, Please start using the verb "to have".

As I said -- this war is heating up! I noticed that no one stated that I lied anywhere in my orignal post. But boy, if my ears have not singed off by now they aren't going to be.
Maybe they signed off because you are trying so hard to tell the difference between a lossless and DD+ audio track!

As I said -- this war is heating up!
You did?
I noticed that no one stated that I lied anywhere in my orignal post.
Wow! That is a good reason to celebrate!

I have to give it to you, the number of pulled from the ceiling (you can replace it with another source...) arguments
in your posts has dramatically decreased over the last week (e.g. less than 10% of China households have TVs) and replaced with rhetoric.

That's fine by me...

Diogen.

First, no use arguing the audio differance as DD+ is a very good reproduction of the movie sound track and HD-DVD uses DD+ most of the time if there is no lossless track on the disc. Second, if I did not post the HD-DVD fans would run the BD fans off of this site. Hence the reason I asked for seperate forums for the formats so that individuals that are interested in either format could have positive discussions about their choice without being slamed by opposing viewpoints. And still HD-DVD supporters go into the BD Forum and try to hijack a positive post to the War Zone. You Diogen do this all the time.

I am willing to stand around and take yours and others abuse so that individuals that come on this site can get a more balanced view of each format. Most of the time I try to post information backing up my views and sometimes I just share information. If you don't agree that is okay and is your right. But having the right to disagree does not mean that you are always right.

The plain fact of the matter is that Toshiba is playing low ball trying to dislodge BluRay's lead in disc sales. Warner is not going to be looking at player sales but their own disc sales to determine which way to move their company in. Buy offering $98 players HD-DVD is hoping to move those companies looking at the disc sales their way. But they have got to get the disc sales not just the player sales. No matter how much Toshiba tries the very bottom line is that BD has maintained a 2 to 1 lead in disc sales.

Now Toshiba is pushing the A-2 not at $198 but at $98 at Walmart this Friday. I still have not seen one of these at any of my local Walmart's but I am sure they will show up. Toshiba started the 5 free movies with a purchase after lowering the cost of their players. Toshiba is leading the push to the basement in prices. Everyone thinks that this is the smart thing to do but in business if you lowball your competition but that is not always the case.

I believe that this is Toshiba's last stand. Where are they going to go after this -- to $10 a player? If the numbers on HD-DVD disc sales do not start going up then HD-DVD will be finished after this XMAS. Maybe this ploy will work if BD does not try to counter this low price strategy but as I said after this if there is no appreciable movement in HD-DVD disc sales where will Toshiba go next?

Gee, this sounds simular to what Warner has been saying lately - doesn't it?

Isnt it the point to get the price down so that people will buy your product??? Do you think people will buy an HD DVD player and not buy the discs??? C'mon I would have to say you are going to see these things selling fairly fast. I have both formats and dont favor one over the other....but you cant argue with a $99 player for HD capability. The war is going to heat up even more.....I just want the fire out.

First, no use arguing the audio differance as DD+ is a very good reproduction of the movie sound track and HD-DVD uses DD+ most of the time if there is no lossless track on the disc.

I find it interesting you've been harping so much on lossless audio so much lately, since you and 90% of all BD owners with a PS3 can't enjoy that lossless audio until you upgrade your receiver to one with HDMI audio. When I first played Transformers I thought it sounded pretty darn good. I just got my new A35 player yesterday with HBR - outputting DD+, TrueHD & DTS MA via High Bitrate Resolution bitstream to my Onkyo receiver for decoding. Wow! It sounded like my sound system just came alive! I re-watched the whole Transformers like it was a whole new movie; undoubtedly one of the best audio I've ever heard. I played around with a couple of TrueHD discs - 300 & Letters from Iwa Jima - with equal improvement. You've got to get one of these players for your 805, Joe. The newly announced Panasonic 30 supports it, as does the Samsung 1400, but I know you don't like Samsung players.

Second, if I did not post the HD-DVD fans would run the BD fans off of this site. Hence the reason I asked for seperate forums for the formats so that individuals that are interested in either format could have positive discussions about their choice without being slamed by opposing viewpoints. And still HD-DVD supporters go into the BD Forum and try to hijack a positive post to the War Zone. You Diogen do this all the time.

I have to agree negative posts against a format belong in the War Zone. I would be annoyed to see BD owners coming into the HD DVD forum just to bash HD DVD. I feel if you don't own a player you shouldn't be posting in the HD DVD or BD Forums unless it's to ask for information or make a general comment. I haven't posted in the BD forum since I sold my PS3.

I believe that this is Toshiba's last stand. Where are they going to go after this -- to $10 a player? If the numbers on HD-DVD disc sales do not start going up then HD-DVD will be finished after this XMAS. Maybe this ploy will work if BD does not try to counter this low price strategy but as I said after this if there is no appreciable movement in HD-DVD disc sales where will Toshiba go next?

Gee, this sounds simular to what Warner has been saying lately - doesn't it?

From your posts, Toshiba / HD DVD has had more last stands than Custer ever dreamed of. :p

But, yes, HD DVD needs to move discs in addition to players - that's kinda the general idea. And also maybe why Wal-mart also has $14.96 specials on HD DVD movies. ;)

I am willing to stand around and take yours and others abuse...
My first thought reading this post was: performing "Cry me a River" this early in the concert? Why so much bitterness?
And then I realized, some Blu diehards started the mourning...

I can't say I'm with you guys, but I understand...

Diogen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts