I am a nervous wreck! LOS??

Status
Please reply by conversation.

keller814

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 8, 2006
Cincinnati
Hi, I am new to satellite and am getting it strictly for NFL Sunday Ticket. I am so new to satellite TV that I did not even know that the installer couldn't install the dish on my building due to landlord restrictions (my Apt. faces North). So anyway I am so desperate I arranged with my landlord to move apartments to one that faces south. So I checked it out today and there is a tree directll in front of the apt balcony about 15 feet away. Its not TOO tall but.......:( So I called DirectTV and they said that as long as I have a clear LOS SouthEast, then Im fine. I checked it out again and yes I have a completely clear area when looking southeast. My question is; you guys all know alot more than me and probably more than the "customer service ladies" that I talked to. Is Southeast fine? Some of the other dishes I see around my complex look like like they are aimed directly south. If thats the case than that tree will give me problems. I live in Las Vegas so I can see why southeast makes sense. I do NOT want to go through the hassle of moving everything, paying for the apt. transfer fee just to find out that I dont have a clear LOS. Thanks for any help, sorry for the long post.

Last edited:
hmmm sounds difficult. Is there any chance you can get into the apt that isn't yours for directv to do a check for you? I agree you are smart not to move just to disappoint yourself.

this is a toughie. I know some people have done calculations with a 3-4-5 method but i wont even pretend to know what that's all about

newsposter said:
hmmm sounds difficult. Is there any chance you can get into the apt that isn't yours for directv to do a check for you? I agree you are smart not to move just to disappoint yourself.

this is a toughie. I know some people have done calculations with a 3-4-5 method but i wont even pretend to know what that's all about

I called DirectTV and asked if they can send someone to look at it, but they are unable to. Kind of frustrating.

Doctor Bob said:
If you go to one of several Satellite Dealers in your area (not any of the big box stores) they will help you out...

To just look at the area and tell me if I can get a good signal? I wonder how much they would charge for that?

keller814 said:
To just look at the area and tell me if I can get a good signal? I wonder how much they would charge for that?

It's called a site survey and will cost you around $30.

OK, I used the dish pointer on directv.com and bought a compass. I used the azimuth and elevation numbers and there is a completely unobscured view. The tree I mentioned shouldnt be a problem as it is directly south and not in the view that the coordinates state. Just thought I would update everybody.

Man, dont tell Directv that you need someone to come look...just schedule the install...when he gets there, if they cant do it, they wont charge you.

newsposter said:
except he has to move, pay a fee etc just to get to the other APT
Very true. I am just going to go for it. Better to try and fail then to wonder if I could be watching my team every sunday while my wife fetches beer.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Using a DVD Player with DIRECTV

H-20 600 Cooling Fan

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts