Status
Please reply by conversation.

Tony-d

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 19, 2015
Fl
Hi guys!

I am looking to get a test meter, I would like something I can use on both KU & C band. As I will be installing a C band in the fall. I have some questions, will a meter allow me to tune in a satellite better then setting up a tv and watching the bar? Can I get a decent one without breaking the bank? I am only doing this for fun. So I do not know how often I would us it. Any advice on a decent meter would be helpful.

Thanks

Reactions: spongella
Unless you are willing to spend the money for a quality tool, the portable tv routine is about as good as a cheap meter will be. If you have a good meter you will use it more. I bought a high dollar unit and occasionally make some extra cash lining up a DTV or Dish for somebody. :)

Yo I'm down with MC Static! Duct tape, satellite receiver, portable TV, plus battery or extension cord.

I've had one of these TV's for years and it works great for satellites and surveillance camera setup.

amazon.com/RearView-Headrest-Monitor-Support-Rotating/dp/B007SLDF7O/ref=sr_1_32?ie=UTF8&qid=1432872151&sr=8-32&keywords=12+volt+TV

Why can't I get the paper clip to work?

I'd suggest at least getting a meter such as the one below, which will give you some indication that you are pointed in the direction of satellite. It can be installed in line between the receiver and the LNB These meters come in cheap plastic or metal. The pic is Radio Shack's model, not sure if they are still around, but they were going for a buck at the stores closing down. The meter will swing and the tone will change in pitch as the signal changes, giving you an indication of where to move the dish. Radio Shack's meters are made of metal, definitely a plus

As for those handheld Satellite Finder/receivers, which are basically a small handheld FTA receiver, these can be very convenient, and they have their good and bad points. I used the Satlink WS-6906 for several years and it was very convenient for setting up a dish or tweaking it. Recently replaced it with a 8dtek Desired. These devices, while convenient in that they are totally self-contained, with internal battery packs and LCD display sometimes do not have all the features a regular FTA receiver has, such as MPEG IV reception, USALS. If you contemplate purchasing one of these do your homework, read reviews and check feedback prior to purchase. Prices range from about $100 to a few hundred bucks.

I confess - I'm a gadget freak so these handheld Satellite Finder/receivers appeal to me :).

Now, as was aptly stated in the two previous posts you can simply assemble an FTA receiver and TV set to achieve the same thing. Over the years the STBs and TVs have gotten so small that it's not a big deal to set that up in the field. You just need a source of power. Good luck in setting up your C band dish

Attachments

• meter muffler.jpg
    meter muffler.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 172
I'm using a 7" LCD TV with AV input coupled with the X2 Premium mini HD FTA receiver, which is about the size of a pack of cigarettes. You can let it hang in the cable from the LNBF while you watch the LCD. The X2 has a nice signal/quality bar display that is helpful for tuning. X2 was selling for $36 on ebay last time I checked. The LCD in post #3 above would do for display, however, the ad states that it has no audio, so that would limit it for other uses.... But for $26, would you really care...

But first ask yourself "What do I want to do with my meter?" Aside from the primary task of aim the dish. With my meter I have access to Constellation display, Spectrum analyzer. I can check LNB voltage and current draw. I can check frequency drift in an LNB. I can check output from the receiver. I can store the data and print it out for future reference. Most meters don't do DVBS2, even the cheaper ones that say they do have certain limitations. With an AI meter you get great support and frequently updated satellite transponder lists that keep you on the bleeding edge. ;) When thinking about a meter there is a lot more to consider than just aiming a dish :)

Wow, $36 bucks for the X2, will check that out, thanks migold.

The WS-6906 does have a volume control though. That's one of the caveat emptor issues with purchasing those handheld Satellite Finder/meters; the manufacturer's specs/documentation are not always complete/ accurate, and some of the distributors (resellers) just copy and paste what the manufacturer has furnished.

One example is the "Constellation" option on the 8dtek meter - no description of what that is/does in the documentation. But it does have a spectrum analyzer. A spectrum analyzer should be included as an option in all the STBs.

One of my pet peeves about the 8Dtek is that the % signal quality moves in 6% increments only, a definite disadvantage when making fine adjustments. Have communicated this to the manufacturer as a possible "fix."

Back issues of TeleAudioVision, Monitoring Times, and The Spectrum Monitor are good sources of equipment reviews.

I have a WS 6906 and it is pretty much the same as having a STB at the dish - more convenient perhaps but no more accurate. Actually, since it doesn't do DVB-S2, I wouldn't recommend it at all. I have one that someone gave me and I have no use for it. The big thing with a meter is that they should have quick response and show fine detail. I also have a Birdog Ultra and a SupperBuddy S2. Both professional models and pricey.
The other meter I have that is both inexpensive and accurate is the First Strike FS1. They now have a FS1-ProHD that supports DVB-S2 lock. The FS1 would show DVB-S2 quality level but does not show a lock - but works well enough on DVB-S2 to make it worth while. The price was right.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)