I am not admitting defeat!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
welcome to the FTA club Sharpee :)

75 quality is really good. Some satellite the transponders are lower than normal but 75 is good. :)

yes the key word is "fine movement"...noticed ia has been home for 3+ hours and we havent heard from him yet...maybe he has success and is too buy watching G10?

Well, I spent 3 hours.....NOTHING! I mean I can't get echostar birds or anything! If I had the meter hooked up, it kept cutting out, took that off, lined up FTA with Dish Network 500 dish, I tried every elevation from 30-35. I moved an area of approx 1/2" in about 10 minutes that is how fine I was going. Any chance it is the lnb? I should have gotten an echo star bird. Oh well, I am getting a tan! And I bet the neighbors behind me (atop a hill, so eye level with me while I am on the roof) wonder why I am sitting on my shed roof :) Anyway, I washed my car so I could fell like I got something done :) Thanks for all the comments and tips everyone! I am beat for now. Will regroup, and maybe try again tomorrow.

Not the LNBF 99% of the time, if it was easy EVERYONE would have FTA :)

Tomorrow is another day!

I really don't know what else I can do. I keep taking several hours here and there. I have about 18 hours into it already. I wonder wht I cannot get any of the echostars? Those should be a given. Now if I could convince my wife I need a Bird dog meter. That would be real slick!

Would be slick but a complete waste of money unless you are doing it everyday, a Birdog is just a small portable receiver with a LIVE TP. loaded and a small screen.

You have a BIG Birdog right now hooked to your TV, a Birdog does not have Blind Scan and everytime that loaded LIVE TP. changes the unit needs hooked to a PC and reprogrammed, all you have to do is change the data in you antenn setup screen.

Do not give up, you will get there in the end and it will make it all the more SWEET!

Last edited:
IAFire

Here is a stupid question. The LNB you have. I now the plastic around it you can crack open (its 2 pieces). Are the skew lines lined up with the crack (the 0 spot is even eith the split) or is it on the side?

Here is something weird....I have a LNB that shows the skew lines on the top of the LNB and the "split" of the plastic pieces 90 degress off(on the side). I tried and couldnt get it to work. I turned it 90 degrees (to line the crack up with 0 THEN skewed it from there and it worked). I'm not saying this will work but I just am wondering (and giving out ideas).

Here's what I mean Larry

the skew marks were on the one side so I skewed from there and couldn't get anything. I turned it 90 degrees then skewed from there and it worked

2nd picture is how 0 skew should be
3rd picture is how 0 skew actually is

Its a long shot but worth a shot

Attachments

• IM000790.JPG
    IM000790.JPG
    25.1 KB · Views: 109
  • IM000791.JPG
    IM000791.JPG
    12.8 KB · Views: 96
  • IM000792.JPG
    IM000792.JPG
    21.3 KB · Views: 119
iafirebuff said:
I really don't know what else I can do. I keep taking several hours here and there. I have about 18 hours into it already. I wonder wht I cannot get any of the echostars? Those should be a given. Now if I could convince my wife I need a Bird dog meter. That would be real slick!

We need to take this from the top:

Good cabling?
Settings correct on the receiver? L.O., LNB type, etc?
Skew correct?
Mount plumb?
Everything assembled on the dish correctly?

If I had my settings right I noticed 121's power was a lot lower than normal the other day, so don't look for this one. A real hot one is the FOX station on AMC4. See if you can get this one:

http://www.lyngsat.com/amc4.html

You'll need to manually enter in this transponder into your receiver along with the correct symbol rate.

I have a Sadouns KUL1 And it looks a little different than yours. The skew marks are on the "body" portion. The other piece has the cutout for the coax, so there would be no way to change them. I probably didnt explain that very good. Thanks for the tip though! I will try again tomorrow for a bit. I can tell you this, roofs are not made to be sat on :)

Today I used a new run of coax (different thatn what I used the other days), The receiver settings are all set according to Iceburg, and others, I have tried the skew a couple of ways, The mount has been setup 4 differnt times, in deffierent places - nice and plumb/level. Dish properly assemled. That is why this has really got me! I have tried for 97w, echo star at 119, 121, 110, G10, and each time I change the receiver settings in the antenna setup menu. It is so stumping, that I feel that I must have something over looked. But, everyone gives me things to check, and those all check out. I will try a bit in the morning and see what happens. I tried the string method the other day, with the compas away from the dish, and that gave me a good idea. Thanks again everyone!

iafirebuff said:
Today I used a new run of coax (different thatn what I used the other days), The receiver settings are all set according to Iceburg, and others, I have tried the skew a couple of ways, The mount has been setup 4 differnt times, in deffierent places - nice and plumb/level. Dish properly assemled. That is why this has really got me! I have tried for 97w, echo star at 119, 121, 110, G10, and each time I change the receiver settings in the antenna setup menu. It is so stumping, that I feel that I must have something over looked. But, everyone gives me things to check, and those all check out. I will try a bit in the morning and see what happens. I tried the string method the other day, with the compas away from the dish, and that gave me a good idea. Thanks again everyone!

When you think you are on a bird you hit blind scan always end up with zero?

I never know if I am on one, as the receivers signal meter never registers anything. My satellite finder (freebi with kit), cuts in and out, and sometimes has a solid signal for over 1/2 radius turn of the dish. So I don't think that is working right.

iafirebuff said:
I never know if I am on one, as the receivers signal meter never registers anything. My satellite finder (freebi with kit), cuts in and out, and sometimes has a solid signal for over 1/2 radius turn of the dish. So I don't think that is working right.

That's the key... if you think you are on one, hit blind scan. If you find some channels and it scans in under AMC4 or whatever and say its actually AMC1 you were on you can always delete them. Just point in the direction you think a SAT is at and hit blind scan. Keep blind scanning like a big dog around the sky until you find a satellite.

YES! Even if you have the wrong L.O. set if you are on or close to a satellite and Blind Scan you will get some channels.

if it logs channels, let us know what they are so we can see where you are in the satellite sky :)
(even if they are scrambeld or whatever)

So, lets say I hook up the finder/meter, the needle pegs, then I hit blind scan (even though I have no signal at the receiver)? And then see if I get anything? Also, do I need to take the satellite finder meter off line when I do this? I turn the attenuator down because the sound is so loud.

iafirebuff said:
So, lets say I hook up the finder/meter, the needle pegs, then I hit blind scan (even though I have no signal at the receiver)? And then see if I get anything? Also, do I need to take the satellite finder meter off line when I do this? I turn the attenuator down because the sound is so loud.

If you hit something that pegs the sat meter , turn down the gain until the needle is about mid range . Now tweek the dish some more . Turn down the gain again if the needle climbs very much . Repeat untill you have the best you can get . Now , unless you are pointng due south , try rotating the LNBF in the holder ( adjusting skew ) untill you get it tweeked .

Now , read the LOF info off of the tag on the LNBF & enter that info into the sat menue .

Now , you may or may not need to remove the sat meter from the system & hook the coax direct to the LNBF . If you do , unplug the receiver while you do this .

Now , blind scan .

By the way , I have seen LNBF's that gives you 40% signal strength , if you point them at the ground . :-( Means nothing . When you are tweeking the dish , watch how the signal changes .

When you go past the DTV & DN sats , they will be very strong , compared to the FTA sats .

But try to hit your due south sat first . Will make life a lot easier .

Wyr

iafirebuff said:

I would forget the signal meter/finder as it will pull you to the MUCH stronger DBS satellites! About all they are good for is getting you on the Clarke Belt! (They do work for some satellites in some parts of the county)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)