I am not admitting defeat!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
You may actually have signal on the cable but the receiver is looking at another frequency and symbol rate. That's where the blind scan comes into play, it will search for any DVB signals at the current position. Keep blind scanning... again and again until you find something.

Well this little meter cuts out and it will be full bore for about 1/2 of the full dish rotation! I know There is not a solid sat signal like that. I do turn down the attenuation and readjust, etc, but this meter will still be full bore even turned down all the way. I gave up on using it, as it is real flukey! I will try to hit that fox on AMC 4 tomorrow. Thanks for all the tips!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

iafirebuff said:
Well this little meter cuts out and it will be full bore for about 1/2 of the full dish rotation! I know There is not a solid sat signal like that. I do turn down the attenuation and readjust, etc, but this meter will still be full bore even turned down all the way. I gave up on using it, as it is real flukey! I will try to hit that fox on AMC 4 tomorrow. Thanks for all the tips!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My signal meter does crazy things when hooked up to a Universal LNBF , is that what you have ? Or a standard LNBF ?

Wyr

iafirebuff said:
I have a standard lnb.

OK , LOF should be 10750 , 10750 sw 0 .

We have 2 opinions here , some like the signal meter ( it is possable yours could be defective ) , some dislike the signal meter . I like mine , but I am aware it is not a silver bullet , it has limitations .

I use both PCV DVB-S computer sat cards and Set Top Box Receivers .

On the card w/ motor , I have hooked up the meter next to the computer , so I could watch the meter .

I slowly used the software to move the motor , watching the motor . When I peeked a sat , I would scan to see what I have found & then compare it to what is listed on lyngsat.com , to try to see what sat I was on .

Have done much the same , outside , at the dish .

Again , it is the change in signal strength to look for , not the absolute value .

Wyr

I actually have used 2 sat finder meters. One came with a kit I got for free with the system. The other one is a Winegard, metal case otherwise looks the same. The Winegard my father in-law bought - he paid $80 for it! Poor guy! Anyway, I am going to try to hit AMC4 later this am. Gotta go to the store for some supplies (food) :) Will keep all posted! PS I have yet to swear (much) or throw anything on this project.....yet......Think Pleasant thoughts :)

if you are going to try and get AMC4 here are the numbers
elevation-40
azimuth-192 (close to straight south)
skew +9.3

transponders to use (both are VERY strong)
11822 H 5700
11983 H 5900

Probably the best advice I can give you is remember that your three numbers-elevation azimuth and skew should be thought of as starting points. They might be slightly off from where you think they should be for whatever reason (elevation on my dish is 2 degrees off). So get them close and then experiment a little (not alot). KU is hard to hit and your adjustments must be very small.

Also, recheck your azimuth with a compass. Be sure to stand a few feet back from the dish to avoid interference from the metal dish and pole. Hold the compass level and steady and sight as close to the "center line" of the dish as you can. Try it a few times until you feel sure you are "on". This was one area I goofed up at first.

well, been working on it for a little over 2 hours now. Still nothing! No amc4, no g10, no echostars! I tried the blindscan several times, got the pointed rel close to my azimuth - used a string and walked about 10 feet out and got it lined up real good - used that as the start, went to each side of that mark, tried different elevations, etc. I tried with and without a sat finder meter. When I use eithe r of the external meters i have, they cut out. I then meter can be pegged, then it goes quiet and to 0, then without moving anything jumps back up. I am about to have the title changed back again. I do have a very knowledgeable installer that is willing to travel almost 500 miles round trip to help me out, but as much as I would like to meet him and such, I really hate for him to travel all that way if at all possible. He has gone way out of his way to help me. I will leave him unmentioned at this point, not because i am ungratefull, but I don't want him to be overwhelmed with request :) My tan is coming along nicely :)

iafirebuff said:
well, been working on it for a little over 2 hours now. Still nothing! No amc4, no g10, no echostars! I tried the blindscan several times, got the pointed rel close to my azimuth - used a string and walked about 10 feet out and got it lined up real good - used that as the start, went to each side of that mark, tried different elevations, etc. I tried with and without a sat finder meter. When I use eithe r of the external meters i have, they cut out. I then meter can be pegged, then it goes quiet and to 0, then without moving anything jumps back up. I am about to have the title changed back again. I do have a very knowledgeable installer that is willing to travel almost 500 miles round trip to help me out, but as much as I would like to meet him and such, I really hate for him to travel all that way if at all possible. He has gone way out of his way to help me. I will leave him unmentioned at this point, not because i am ungratefull, but I don't want him to be overwhelmed with request :) My tan is coming along nicely :)

I'm sure it's something simple.... it's got to be. The offer for free phone support still stands.

Thanks I appreciate it! I got the receiver settings all squared away. I wish you could point it via the phone :) My problem is I can't even get echostars. I got one by accident the other day, and scanned it, it came up with a bunch of channels - all scrambled, and told me nagra - I think that is the encryption. So I got to see what it is like to have a signal, and what the meter looks like, etc.

What echostars are you looking for? Don't try for the circular ones unless you have a circular LNB. The thing is you want to find anything you can, don't try for something. If you want to use the meter, do this:

Point the dish at the ground and cover the lnb with your hand.
Dial the meter until the screaming stops.
Point at a satellite.
Dial the meter down half way.
See if you can peak the meter out again.
Dial the meter down again.
See if you can peak again and repeat until you can't.
Blind scan the sucker.... It doesn't matter want satellite you are on, just as long as its a KU one with the LNB and L.O. is set correctly.

Once you find something mark the position so you will have a reference point.

I can;t seem to find a way to blind scan without telling it what satellite I am on. Is there a way on the Fortec Star Lifetime Classic NA?

iafirebuff said:
I can;t seem to find a way to blind scan without telling it what satellite I am on. Is there a way on the Fortec Star Lifetime Classic NA?

It doesn't matter.. say you have the dish pointed at IA5 but yet you blind scan in under G11, you can delete the channels/transponders later. Pick a sat and start blind scanning.

So it doesn't matter what the satellite name is in the antenna setup menu? So lets see if I understand this.

I will go out, set my elevation, etc and hook the meter up. After I peak it, etc, then I hit scan and it doesn't matter what satellite name I have it set on in the menu so long as I ahve my LNB type, correct?

What I have done, is when I get it peaked according to the sat finder meter, I manually have been selecting atellites to see if I have any signal quality. I will wait to hear back, then will try that out. THANKS!!!!

I would not use the satellite meter but YES, you can use ANY satellite name to BLIND SCAN!

As long as the LNBF L.O. is set correctly ;)

Sometimes a wild guess is better than a certain wrong DBS satellite, they are very strong and you are sometimes pulled to them, try it both ways :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)