I am not admitting defeat!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
iafirebuff said:
I have PAC1 that I can watch unscrambled and CH16 is a test pattern only. All others come up scrambled. At least I know it all works!!!!!!! And if I didnt blind scan, then I would still not have it. It did'nt show any signal until I scanned. It is starting to make sense. Now to g10! Gee, I would rather spend an hour at 930 pm than 4 or 5 hours during the light :)

It didn't show any signal because you were looking at a frequency and symbol rate that was not available on G13.

You are very close to G10R. Now that you are close switch the receiver over to G10 and make sure you pick a frequency and symbol rate that is currently available. Check lyngsat. I'm sure someone can chime in with a very hot TP on G10R.

Thanks all! I have the pole marked, and will mark the elevation. I did not peak it for this bird, but it is at a strong 60%. Tomorrow if it doesnt rain, I will move it to the east a few degrees to try for g10. From where I am at, about how much of a move is it to g10? I never would have gotten anything had I not listened to you guys about the blind scan. I had it set in my head that you have to have a signal showing on the receivers meter before you scan. I am glad I went out tonight. I was not going to, but sure am glad! I can rest now knowing that the gear does work! Have a great night everyone! Thanks again!

Glad it worked out! Even if you're aimed dead-on to a satellite, you must be set to an active transponder to see any signal. Blind scan found your active transponder(s) for you.

There is a very powerful transponder to set your receiver to when hunting for G-10R: 12114 vertical, symbol rate 4444. Nearly pegs the quality meter.

Alright!

CONGRATS!!
Now you know how i felt when i got SBS6 my TS on saturday morning!
I took me about a month just to get a signal. :)

iafirebuff said:
I have PAC1 that I can watch unscrambled and CH16 is a test pattern only. All others come up scrambled. At least I know it all works!!!!!!! And if I didnt blind scan, then I would still not have it. It did'nt show any signal until I scanned. It is starting to make sense. Now to g10! Gee, I would rather spend an hour at 930 pm than 4 or 5 hours during the light :)

CONGRATS Larry! :hatsoff: :hatsoff: :bounce :bounce :bounce :clap :clap :clap :bow :bow

Now that you have a signal, you know where in the arc you are (127W is where that satellite is)

Last edited:
iafirebuff said:
Thanks all! I have the pole marked, and will mark the elevation. I did not peak it for this bird, but it is at a strong 60%. Tomorrow if it doesnt rain, I will move it to the east a few degrees to try for g10. From where I am at, about how much of a move is it to g10? I never would have gotten anything had I not listened to you guys about the blind scan. I had it set in my head that you have to have a signal showing on the receivers meter before you scan. I am glad I went out tonight. I was not going to, but sure am glad! I can rest now knowing that the gear does work! Have a great night everyone! Thanks again!

from 127, you move MAYBE 1/8"...probably less. Thats how little movement you do.

I would move it east just a little bit (less than 1/8") and you will have to raise the elevation about 2 degrees, which on the Fortec dishes isnt much either. Make sure to mark the elevation point you're at right now and also on the pole so you have a reference point

and WELCOME to the world of FTA...

I could not have done this without all the help I have received here! THANK YOU everyone! When I looked up 129 for StarNetwork, the chart had the same listings as it showed got 123 g10. So I figured, since I am on 127, it must be a nudge to the east and then a scan to see what I get. It is suppose to rain today, so not sure what I will get done tonight. I marked the mast with pencil...hope the rain doesnt wash it away. At least no I know the proper way of finding a satellite. My wife knows I am a nerd for sure now. After I found PAC1, I unhooked the little tv, ran a coax inside hooked the receiver up to the big tv, and everytime I walked past the Japanese movie that was playing, I laughed! If I didn't have to work today, I would probably still be watching it :) I actually would have kept watching it last night, but had to catch the Sopronas at 11 :)

iafirebuff said:
I could not have done this without all the help I have received here! THANK YOU everyone! When I looked up 129 for StarNetwork, the chart had the same listings as it showed got 123 g10. So I figured, since I am on 127, it must be a nudge to the east and then a scan to see what I get. It is suppose to rain today, so not sure what I will get done tonight. I marked the mast with pencil...hope the rain doesnt wash it away. At least no I know the proper way of finding a satellite. My wife knows I am a nerd for sure now. After I found PAC1, I unhooked the little tv, ran a coax inside hooked the receiver up to the big tv, and everytime I walked past the Japanese movie that was playing, I laughed! If I didn't have to work today, I would probably still be watching it :) I actually would have kept watching it last night, but had to catch the Sopronas at 11 :)

CONGRATS Larry ;)

Now that you have been infected with the FTA virus :devil: you will find yourself spending hours on the roof mucking with the dish or soon dishes, crawling in the crawlspace (if you have one) or the basement of the house checking coax cables and switches , and very little in front of TV watching it since you are scanning and motoring and what not :D
Have fun and be cool :cool:

Last edited:
I have already thought what I would do to "upgrade". I have considered a motor, but after I get g10 locked, I will be afraid to move it :) I think I will just get a second LNB and attach it next to the one for g10 and get StarNetwork. Looks like there is stuff to watch there. Looking at all the other sats, doesnt look like much for me. I am after network/superstion type stuff. :)

PSB said:
A FTA satellite system without a motor is like a car without wheels (IMO)

Eventually you will just HAVE to get one :)

Couldn't agree more. I find most of the fun motoring and scanning the sats looking for feeds that come and go. Hoping that extra terrsterail signals or something will show up somewhere :p

But you can still use a FTA system without a motor. So saying “its like a car with no wheels” is a little overkill, ya think?

You need wheels to drive a car…you don’t need a motor to get FTA. Maybe something like “using FTA without a motor is like buying a car with no ac and you live in Arizona”.
You can get by but you may reconsider

I have a feeling I will be buying a motor before summers end :) I can't buy it all at once....might get in trouble :) Although my wife moonlights at home during the evening hours, so she likes to have something to watch. RTN is the answer for that! She has but in her "work order" to me on what she wants in her "home office" - She wants FTA, OTA and Dish DVR. I think I am just going to put in a A-B-C switch at our tv in the living room instead of running 3 cables to her tv. Boy I slept good last night! I even had a dream that involved FTA!!!!!!!!!

My motor died, so I am now locked on G10R. However I must admit I would rather have a bunch of dishes locked down on specific satellites then have a motor. :) (Of course my wife would KILL me!) :D

With my motor I had nothing but issues, and one day it would lock on fine the next day the motor would be off a bit....

Well, time to wrap it up at work for today. I think if it is not raining, I will attempt to go for G10. I should mow the lawn, but my shed is FULL of satellite boxes and junk. So I better get G10 done so I can put everything away :) Have a nice evening everyone! Will keep ya posted :)

I forgot, when my daughter woke up this morning (she is 8), I told her I got a Japanese station, and I was quickly informed that she does not want ot watch that :)

Scott Greczkowski said:
My motor died, so I am now locked on G10R. However I must admit I would rather have a bunch of dishes locked down on specific satellites then have a motor. :) (Of course my wife would KILL me!) :D

With my motor I had nothing but issues, and one day it would lock on fine the next day the motor would be off a bit....

Sounds like the same motor I have. Swing from one side of the arc and the satellite is off. Go past the satellite then come back and it's right on target. Guess I'll be looking for it to die soon.

Larry just PM'd me.....he's VERY CLOSE

He scanned and got Dish 121 (268 scrambled TV and 10 scrambled radio)

just a smidge to get 123 :) and don't jump off the roof in excitement :D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

trouble finding signal quality

New to FTA, want to get started

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)