Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
I am sorry...

For the last few months you might have seen me talking about how buggy and slow the HR20 DVR is.

As someone who never really used one for any length of time I figured the way my unit was acting was normal for the HR20 line.

And as you might have seen a few weeks ago you might have seen a post by me saying that my HR20 was freesing up after watching MPEG4 channels after 30 minutes and the issues I had getting a replacement unit.

The good folks at DirecTV saw my post and understood my concerns about having a tech come over because of my large satellite farm and all the wiring I have here. Anyways they sent me over a new HD20-700 unit and after using it for the past few weeks, I got to admit I am schocked with the how good this thing runs.

The speed difference and stability of this unit is WORLDS ahead of how my old unit acted. I am VERY impressed with the HR20 now and as of late have been doing more of my TV watching with my HR20 then with my Dish Network system.

So I must admit to all DirecTV folks out there that I am sorry for what I said in the past about the HR20 about its slowness and stability. I was under the impression thats the way they ran, but now I know its not the case.

Thanks to DirecTV for sending over the new box, it really opened my eyes and turned me into a HR20 believer!

Congrats on learning something new.. I have both Dish 622's and DirecTV HR20 and 21. While I will say that the Dish 622 is better, I can really not find any faults with my HR20 and my HR21. Just different. More use to the Dish 622. But my DirecTV systems have worked flawlessly since I installed them. Each unit has one or two things that I would like to see on the other. But I have no complaints with either companies hardware.

They really are a nice box for a HD enthusiest. I have 3 and love them. The real winning part, however, is all the HD channels. We get D11 up next week and we can get all the channels up :)

I do miss PIP and such from the dish box. I would like to see multiroom viewing, the it would be perfect.

Scott, glad to hear you got all problem resolved with the HR20 and that you see it's not as bad as some folks have said. Did you ever get around to getting Media Share to work with your PC, last I heard you hadn't.

Rad I havent really tried, just been doing a lot of VOD and watching HD. :)

You should try to give it another shot. The Prize Godess might like it for watching pictures of the kid.

BTW, don't forget to check out ch 101 over the next couple days for the South by Southwest fest in Austin.

Last edited:
Scott can you see a difference between Dish Networks HD and Directv HD which provider gives the better quality especially for ESPNHD since there is alot of posts about this channel just want to see if this is ESPN problem or a Directv problem. Thanks

Of my neighbor one has Dish and a few have cable and the ESPN looks about the same on each; I think the ESPN production is what is lacking. I have seen a few programs that were stellar, and I think they may have been simulcasting another outlets production signal if that is possible or happens. Maybe each facility venue has a different setup that causes their inconsistency (cameras, etc)? I know some venues have some of their own hardware in place.

The D* feed of ESPN / ESPN 2 is lacking because it is the old mpeg2 and over-compressed. It will be another year or two before they switch it over to the mpeg4. They have said there is no intention of doing it until they have replaced the large majority of customers old legacy HD equipment.

There is a signficant noticable difference between the old HD in the 70s and the new HD channels in mpeg4. The channels like 206 & 209 are just mirrors of the 70s channels, so they too look less than stellar.

Congrats on your new Box Scott!
I know I love my HR20-700 more than anything, its a great box, and a very nice system.

Glad to hear that all is good now. I really enjoy both my HR20-100 and HR21-700 and think they both compare favorably to the 622.

I am sorry...

For the last few months you might have seen me talking about how buggy and slow the HR20 DVR is.

As someone who never really used one for any length of time I figured the way my unit was acting was normal for the HR20 line.

And as you might have seen a few weeks ago you might have seen a post by me saying that my HR20 was freesing up after watching MPEG4 channels after 30 minutes and the issues I had getting a replacement unit.

The good folks at DirecTV saw my post and understood my concerns about having a tech come over because of my large satellite farm and all the wiring I have here. Anyways they sent me over a new HD20-700 unit and after using it for the past few weeks, I got to admit I am schocked with the how good this thing runs.

The speed difference and stability of this unit is WORLDS ahead of how my old unit acted. I am VERY impressed with the HR20 now and as of late have been doing more of my TV watching with my HR20 then with my Dish Network system.

So I must admit to all DirecTV folks out there that I am sorry for what I said in the past about the HR20 about its slowness and stability. I was under the impression thats the way they ran, but now I know its not the case.

Thanks to DirecTV for sending over the new box, it really opened my eyes and turned me into a HR20 believer!

Scott,
Can you ask them why there is such a difference between boxes, as you se you had 1 HR20-700 and it was sluggish and got a new HR20-700 and it is not sluggish at all. My question is WHY is one great while the other is not, they are made by the same people with the same components ...
Ask them how they can address that issue so we know that when we do need a new one we know it's a proberly working unit.

fwiw,
I've had a HR20-700 for several years and have had very few issue, been working solid for quite awhile now, with the exception of the Caller Id, which will work from time to time, but not reliably, but then, thats got nothing to do with the unit not preforming ...

Jimbo

I have used em all and will be the first to admit that the hr20 definetly had some growing pains, but with recent updates and the addition of on demand and the awesome ability to stream movies, shows, pictures, and music in any format from the htpc, I declare this unit the best in the biz.

Status
Please reply by conversation.