I am thinking about getting Tivo

IThe ATSC tuner is good quality, the QAM tuner is funky (when we had lifeline cable we used it, never used cable cards), but it works.

I've tried to look this up in Tivo community forums and what not, but I'm still not 100% clear if Tivo will record local HD channels via a built-in QAM tuner. Can anyone confirm that? If it works, then I would consider picking one up for the bedroom where I don't have a cable box. (OTA is not an option since any antenna would need to be re-positioned each time to pick up the various stations in the area.)

It will record QAM no problems. Guide data on QAM is hit or miss. depends on the cable company. Some cable companies push the PSIP down with the QAM, others do not.

Manual timers work well, but they kind of are a PITA to keep track of.

It will record QAM no problems. Guide data on QAM is hit or miss. depends on the cable company. Some cable companies push the PSIP down with the QAM, others do not.

Manual timers work well, but they kind of are a PITA to keep track of.

Good to know. thanks. Another problem for me would also be when the cable co. shifts the channel number from time to time.

So what stores sell Tivo? I would like to go to a store and see it. I am tired of online shopping. I have had bad experience this year with shipping. :// I ordered something from a seller on amazon and I NEVER got the item. I told him and he said he would send another and I never got it. I ordered something from Target and it took like 3 weeks to get here. I am so tired of waiting over a week and shipping is so expensive. :(

So what stores sell Tivo? Is it online only? Someone here said Sears. Do they still sell Tivo?

Unfortunately, few if any of the TiVo offering storefronts are able to demo the product in any meaningful way (most don't even have one plugged in). You may have to beg just to touch the remote.

Great thread. I have been toying with this Tivo idea for a while. Just starting thinking about what I actually watch and how much I pay to watch what I can get for free. I looked at the yearly cost I pay for Dish and never really thought about how much I was paying just to watch TV. I already have Netflix, and I was thinking of getting the Roku box, but the Tivo already has that, so that is a bonus. It is tough to cut the cord sometimes.

FYI- The refurbs are in stock at Tivo's website right now. They weren't last week.

https://www3.tivo.com/store/boxes.do?type=renewed

We're looking to ditch D* now. We've had nothing but issues with the HR21's we have, and it's like pulling teeth to get Directv to replace them under the protection plan that we are paying for. Even now we are getting macroblocking and pixilating/freezing on ALL HD channels.

We're looking to switch to the local cable co (Time Warner) due to their watch 'n surf package for $86.99 a month. I don't want to pay for their HD-DVRs a month ($16.95 per dual tuner), so we're looking into the Tivo box. My wife loved the D* Tivo when they were out.

Does the Tivo S3 require a cablecard to decode QAM or to work with digital cable? Also, will it have it's own guide? I know with a cablecard I will not have their guide, PPV, or on demand.

Also, is there a discount on the service? We are looking to get 2 Tivos.

I use one of my TiVos for cable. Yes you have to have cable cards (2 of them) for QAM. TiVo supplys the guide to the TiVo DVR. I have mine hooked up to the internet. I have been very happy with the performance of the TiVo with cable and cable cards.

Does the Tivo S3 require a cablecard to decode QAM or to work with digital cable?
The ship has sailed on the S3 TiVo. In any event, the new models do have QAM tuners so you'll be able to get the local channels without a cablecard. A two cablecards will be required for a lot of the programming.
Also, is there a discount on the service? We are looking to get 2 Tivos.
Go to the TiVo website and check out the current offers. They change occasionally.

We're looking to switch to the local cable co (Time Warner) due to their watch 'n surf package for $86.99 a month. I don't want to pay for their HD-DVRs a month ($16.95 per dual tuner), so we're looking into the Tivo box. My wife loved the D* Tivo when they were out.

I have been living with the Motorola HD DVRs for 18 months now. I am seriously considering switching to a TIVO as well, and would be willing to pay a higher combined fee (cable cards + TIVO fee) just to get away from all the problems I have with that box.

I have a list of over 30 bugs/"features"/general annoyances on that box. Little stuff like recordings dropped, schedules erased, favorite lists going back to "all" every half hour and every time you go out of the guide. Little stuff like that :(

I bought lifetime for my TiVo boxes so I do not have to worry about the monthly fees. I use one for OTA and the other one for cable (2 different locations).

Does anyone know of a website that explains how to format the Tivo hard drive to get more capacity? I thought I found one last week but can't remember the address.

Does anyone know of a website that explains how to format the Tivo hard drive to get more capacity?
Are you unable to use all the capacity that is there, or do you want something for nothing? Reformatting a hard drive generally doesn't increase its capacity in any meaningful way.

Does anyone know of a website that explains how to format the Tivo hard drive to get more capacity? I thought I found one last week but can't remember the address.

I think if you go to the trouble of opening, removing the HD etc, you might as well just get a bigger drive and use one of the many tools out there to move the tivo software to the new drive, then you'll have your increased capacity and the original drive is a backup so you can always create a new drive if needed. I have always used http://www.mfslive.org/ with great results. They may also have the info you are looking for.

Im using the 500gb WD DVR Expander, and LOVE it.

Im getting about 70 hours of OTA with the expander and internal stock drive(80+ hours of Amazon Unbox and OTA combined).

If the TivoHD would do Sat, I'd use it for OTA and Dish instead of the 722. Nothing wrong with the 722, but once you get used to the TiVo menus, its nice and the box is reliable.

The Unbox feature is nice, youtube is cool, and Netflix Watch Instantly is good. My wife and I watched Never Ending Story and Ghostbusters last night :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)