I bought a used 920 GI 4DTV

Status
Please reply by conversation.

tonton

Original poster
Jan 3, 2007
It was working fine until yesterday morning, then for some reason, dontknow my son decided to reset to factory settings. So I had to reset the satellites, and it took forever pullhair , but I got my digitals channels showing up again , but for the life of me I cant get my DC light to come back on it did for like 10 minutes, so I started downloading the Guide again then it went away, so here I sit with only Analog channels, banghead ready to throw the whole receiver out the door. Can any one help me? Because at this point Im duh about the whole thing. Im am going to buy a brand new 922 but not until next month.

Thanks so much!!!!! for any help!!!

Thanks!! Motorola was helpful a week ago, but now they want me to pay then 50.00 to help me. I cant wait to buy a new one, but I would like to get my DC light up and going again. I almost bought 905 about 7 years ago, but decided not to, and we stopped watching Cband all together, until now the kids all wanted it back up so that was there Xmas present.

Yeah I have had C-Band since early 80's before any scrambling, but migrated to dbs for programming and have been playing with off and on since... if its the kids present maybe since its off as a result of one of them, they will make sure that doesn't happen again. ;)

LOL I dont believe they will be touching the remote again. He was trying to watch a digital channel, that we didnt have a sub to so for some reason he thought by resetting everything that he would be able to watch it.

If it's a 920 and it was reset you will need to call your programming provider to reauthorize the unit, you will need to get your DC light on G0-5 or G1-3.

netlink sent me some hits so I could download the guide on G1-3
without having a subscription with them, (very nice of them)just to check out my 920 and see the digitals were working, You might also try a soft reset to
get Your dc light back on

My experience has been if the DC lite won't come on it is a signal quality issue. I found out the hard way with an LNB that died a slow death. try peaking the dish and polarity. check the signal strength.. I think its 6..4..4..& enter a few times. ps. don't throw that 920 away!!!

Some of the advantages of 4DTV are: 1. There is an on screen program guide that tells you what is on and when. 2. you can subscribe to a lot of channels, not as many as once I guess, but still a bunch. 3. Rain fade is pretty much non existent. 4. The picture quality is visibly better.

On the other hand, DVB has a lot of stuff that is FTA that is not available on
4DTV. One example is the Sportsman channel. You can subscribe to Dish or DirectTv and some others as well, but I'm not sure that the FTA receiver can be set up as a subscription programming tuner. Maybe someone could clarify this.

The biggest drawbacks with DVB that I see, in my limited time using it versus
4DTV, is the lack of a program guide and the variability of picture quality.

Last edited:
What satellite was 4dtv on when they did master reset?
Because receiver was looking for G1 Satellite after reset.
Dish still pointing at last satellite before reset.

I bought a used Motorola (GI) 920 4dtv receiver last week, it came today but after I set it up and let it update on G1 channel 3 I called my program provider to order some Digital channels. He asked for the unit ID... I went to that screen and after reading just a couple of the number ( 08---) he said the unit was bad.... ? Can you tell from the number if the unit is bad? I was watching C-band on the unit. I have a 10ft Dish , C/ku lnbs on a Chaparral Corotor II feed horn, Uniden SQ590 receiver, and maybe a bad 920 4dtv receiver... Thanks for any help.. Tjstar

Were You watching digitals channels on cband or analog channels
reason for asking, if You were watching digitals Your 4dtv ID might be ok,
if it was analog channels , unit Id could be bad,
My id starts with 00-12, hope that helps. if it is bad,You will have to send it to http://www.ats-electronics.com/ or maybe You can get Your money back
for the 920

I bought a used Motorola (GI) 920 4dtv receiver last week, it came today but after I set it up and let it update on G1 channel 3 I called my program provider to order some Digital channels. He asked for the unit ID... I went to that screen and after reading just a couple of the number ( 08---) he said the unit was bad.... ? Can you tell from the number if the unit is bad? I was watching C-band on the unit. I have a 10ft Dish , C/ku lnbs on a Chaparral Corotor II feed horn, Uniden SQ590 receiver, and maybe a bad 920 4dtv receiver... Thanks for any help.. Tjstar

Are you sure its a 920 and not a 921? your provider should be able to tell you if the unit is bad, this means the battery is dead and you will need to send it into ATS for a new motherboard.

For now the unit will be a regular analog only receiver.
http://www.ats-electronics.com/

Covack, I was watching a analog channel and when I called the provider he ask me to see if I could select a channel above 100 which it would not.
tjti1, I looked but could not find anything that showed if it was a 920 or 921 but I did find a small Canada Communications sticker on the back of the receiver and the VCII board. I tried to see if the serial number might give a clue if it was a 920 or 921 but I could not tell anything. Tjstar

Covack, I was watching a analog channel and when I called the provider he ask me to see if I could select a channel above 100 which it would not.
tjti1, I looked but could not find anything that showed if it was a 920 or 921 but I did find a small Canada Communications sticker on the back of the receiver and the VCII board. I tried to see if the serial number might give a clue if it was a 920 or 921 but I could not tell anything. Tjstar

Most probably the battery is dead, but there should be a white sticker on the back of the 4dtv that would say if it is a model 920 or 921.

Thanks for everyones help and this will be my last post on this receiver. I found the white sticker but it only say General Inst. 4dtv and gives BN # serial #but nothing about 920 or 921. I do believe it has a bad battery so will see if I can get my money back?? tjstar

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)