I don't want the locals, I want the NYC channels!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

nieldm

Original poster
Dec 29, 2006
Can anyone tell me if there is any way at all I can get the New York CBS, FOX, NBC (Channels 80-86) etc in Boston from Directv or OTA? I am British and not that interested in local news; I want to know what is happening in the world!!

Directv quote me federal regulations, which is all they can do. Is there any way around this? It reminds me of the wine shipment laws......

Thank!
Marc

Move your service address to a NYC address (if you can); your will likely lose any local RSN (if interested) and there can be some other issues that might arise if you need any type of service or upgrades.

The local NY news broadcasts really don't include any more international news than any other big city local news, such as Boston's. It's still local news. You'll just see stories about the police pulling bodies from the East River instead of the Charles River.

And, a city like Boston should have the same network news shows from CBS, NBC, ABC, and PBS, which does include national and international news.

You would also get the same "cable" news channels regardless of city, or satellite provider.

Last edited:
If you still want to do it though, what charper1 said is your best bet.

As GaryPen said the NY channels are just local news channels, they are not worth the effort to try to get them. We have had the east coast channels from day one and they are not worth watching.

If you want more international news then check into the cable news channels like CNN International. DirecTV also offers International programming package from various places around the world off of another satellite if that interests you.

Can anyone tell me if there is any way at all I can get the New York CBS, FOX, NBC (Channels 80-86) etc in Boston from Directv or OTA? I am British and not that interested in local news; I want to know what is happening in the world!!

Directv quote me federal regulations, which is all they can do. Is there any way around this? It reminds me of the wine shipment laws......

Thank!
Marc

I'd dump DirecTV and sign up for Star Choice through a broker. There's more international news in Canada than the US.

Or maybe even simpler; keep the DBS you currently have, like and are familiar with , but add a FTA system. You should be able to satisfy all you international news needs.

Thank!
Marc
there is a superstation package that includes Ch 11(CW) and CH9 (MYTV) from NYC....Ironically this package also includes WSBK-TV Out of Boston....Anyway these two stations have 1 hour nightly newscasts..But like the other posters said, the hour is mostly dedicated to locall and regional news...You are better off with doing nothing and just watch Fox News Channel or CNN

One complaint I have gotten repeatedly form Western Europeans who've moved here is their prception of American arrogance in the news..That perception is perpetuated by the limited international news coverage that does not directly effect the US..People from Europe have to realize that the US is a very big place and lots of stuff happens here..On the other hand one could drive 10 hours across Europe and travel through 4 or 5 contries and hear just as many languages..It cpomes as no sur[prise that international news is more prevalent in Europe..But, you're here now..So that 's the way it is...

One complaint I have gotten repeatedly form Western Europeans who've moved here is their prception of American arrogance in the news..That perception is perpetuated by the limited international news coverage that does not directly effect the US..People from Europe have to realize that the US is a very big place and lots of stuff happens here..On the other hand one could drive 10 hours across Europe and travel through 4 or 5 contries and hear just as many languages..It cpomes as no sur[prise that international news is more prevalent in Europe..But, you're here now..So that 's the way it is...

I am with you; it seems maybe its their arrogance that assumes we should be talking about a majority of non-US news items in the local US outlets. IMHO

People from Europe have to realize that the US is a very big place and lots of stuff happens here..On the other hand one could drive 10 hours across Europe and travel through 4 or 5 contries and hear just as many languages

LOL. This reminds me of something back in college. There was this chick from Europe (Germany maybe, can't remember) and she was blonde. I mean blonde, she wasn't the typical "smart" European who knows more about the geography of the US then most Americans do.

So anyway we all go to Cedar Point for the weekend, about a 5-6 hour drive from where we were in Michigan. When we get there she asks "what country are we in now". We're like...."ummmmm, Ohio?" :D It was hard for her to understand you could drive for 4 days and still be in the U.S. Told her it takes over a day just to drive across Texas. ;)

But yea, a lot of Europeans I've met do have a hard time getting the size of the U.S. or Canada.

However, that doesn't excuse our ignorance of all things foreign. :eek:

Personally, I would go with one of the international packages, such as Dish Network's Itallian package which has Euronews. I'm not sure what all DirecTV offers.

Alternatively, there are grey dish options that (as of present) are legal. I know some people on this board have discussed subscribing to signals from north of the border, and just looking at the Expressvu lineup, there are several newschannels not available here in the states, such as BBC World and CTV NewsNet.

there is also globecast on IA5 they have Euronews, Mhz Worldwide & Setanta sports, you can also find Aljezera English & Russia today on IA5 with FTA. The globecast stuff is subscription and you can see that at their website
http://www.globecastwtv.com/

Also I don't think D* offers anything in English

Guys thanks for all the helpful responses and the geography lessons. Whilst the temptation is great to dive in and respond to some of the more 'parochial' (or in one case even actionable!) comments I will resist and attempt to assimilate better in to the local culture. Just one comment above warrants a comeback. Bonscott87, I never said Americans are ignorant of all things foreign, simply that I want more foreign news! If I thought as little of Americans as some of you guys seem to think of 'foreigners', it would be really silly of me to move here....

Thanks again.
Marc

I thought you Brits had a sense of humor. (Maybe if you spoke English properly, you would have gotten the joke.) (That was another joke, btw.)

But seriously, get an FTA system. More International programming than you can shake a stick at. Some of it in English too. Also check your local PBS stations. They often show BBC News. CNN has an Intenational hour in the mornings, around 9am pacific time, I believe.

Enjoy Boston. It may not be New York. But, it's still one of the biggest and best of America's cities. (And it's only a 4-1/2-hour drive from NY.) You should also check out Chicago and San Francisco as well. Most of the other "big" cities are pretty interchangeable, other than giving birth to a unique sandwich or something.

Last edited:
Now what on earth made you think I was referring to you Gary? I guess just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you, huh? By the way, the word 'gotten' isn't English.

Neither is "sod off". But, there you have it.

Actually, "gotten" is indeed an officially recognized word of the English language. It is the past participle of "get". Surely, you are familiar with the term "ill-gotten gains"?

Now, get yer bleedin' arse over to Sadoun or SatelliteAV, and buy an FTA system.

I am actually impressed that grammar is so well taught over here (I haven't heard the term 'part participle' since I was in junior school, Nevertheless I think you will find that 'gotten' is only a derivative of 'get' in the USA.

..which sort of brings us full circle. I would love to carry on this entertaining banter but I don't think this is the forum! We could even get onto the time-worn Rugby vs American Football discussion!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts