I Don't Want The New Software!

jeffincolo

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 3, 2006
Anyway of telling dish that I want to keep the L366 software? I am happy with it and have heard to many horror stories about the new software.

Jeff

unless you change the setting to "ask before downloading" it will still download if the box is on

NOT an option on the dual tuner receivers.

jeffincolo said:
Maybe I can just keep my 622 powered on all the time? Any harm in that?

won't be able to keep on all the time, it will shutdown at the automatic update time (3 am).
only thing you could do is unplug the receiver when not watching.
if you do unplug your timers will not work.

or cover your dish by foil or similar, can use door screen :D or duct tape :D:D

Actually, if you will take a knowledge of DNL/SSD PIDs, then keeping only 118.75W connected to a switch will cut unwanted SW upgrade.

But real recommendation will be keep running both tuners on those channels what doesn't share same transponder with DNL/SSD stream.
And those transponders [TP] usually named as 'home transponders', so the find here or DBStalk the TP numbers for different satellites and compare with Tony's EKB charts for select _proper_ channles. ;)

Last edited:
Anyway of telling dish that I want to keep the L366 software? I am happy with it and have heard to many horror stories about the new software.

Jeff

Jeff,

You are stressing over nothing. Trust me I have 2 622s and they are MUCH more stable with the 4.01 software than they were wih 3.66. With 3.66 I used to get an occasional spontanious reboot (sometimes almost daily), but since 4.01 I have not had one single reboot, nada, zip, 0.... it is 100% rock solid with Zero issues on both of my 622.

Go worry about global warming, gas prices, or something else besides the new 4.01 software for your 622 :)

So what bad stuff have you heard? Anyways, the receiver takes the update through the dish, not the phone line, right? Also, I still haven't been updated...is that something to worry about, or just it's gonna take a bit to get everyone going? I want side-side PIP!!!!!

E can force a download any time it wants. I was watching my 522 one nite it spontaneous rebooted and downloaded new software.

If EVERY time E spooled bad software a bunch of subs cancelled soon the quality would improve dramatically......

So what bad stuff have you heard? Anyways, the receiver takes the update through the dish, not the phone line, right? Also, I still haven't been updated...is that something to worry about, or just it's gonna take a bit to get everyone going? I want side-side PIP!!!!!

I have read some posts on other threads with people complaining about reciever lock-up's, reboots, and satellite losing lock with the new 4.01 software. I have not had one single issue using the 3.66 the month I have been with Dish. To me putting up with locks and signal loss would not be worth having side by side PIP.

Jeff

That's true. Guess I'll see what happens when my takes the upgrade...whenever that will be.

J...You are stressing over nothing. Trust me I have 2 622s and they are MUCH more stable with the 4.01 software than they were wih 3.66. With 3.66 I used to get an occasional spontanious reboot (sometimes almost daily), but since 4.01 I have not had one single reboot, nada, zip, 0.... it is 100% rock solid with Zero issues on both of my 622....
I happy for you. BUT...
Since 4.01 we need to hard reboot our 622 EVERY TIME we try to "press Select to continue" :( Our 622 just locks up when it is not being used.

Talon Dancer

Man don't be afraid of this software. When they first released it I lost my OTAs but got the receiver replaced and it's rock solid now. I even get two stations that used to break up constantly rock solid. That's the best thing about the software in my opinion.

Happy to hear some users have had good experiences with 4.01, but such is not the case here. I have had a troublefree 622 since April 2006. Since the 4.01 update, I get 8-10 black screen/screeching audio/reboots daily.

My second 622 did not receive the update for some reason and works perfectly on the 3.66 software.

Dish really needs a way to allow users to block software downloads. Their track record for software "upgrades" is abysmal.

I lived through the Dishplayer fiasco way too long - this is starting to look familiar.

...Dish really needs a way to allow users to block software downloads. Their track record for software "upgrades" is abysmal....
Exactly!

Of course Dish can't let anyone postpone the upgrade indefinitely. But they could delay the forced update more than a few days like they did this time:(

You would think that ANY technology company knows how users fit on the technology adoption curve: A small number of people are eager earlier adopters, the majority adopt after the first group says every-thing's OK, and some users only adopt when they absolutely have too.:)

So all Dish would need is three buttons on one of the menus that allows Dish subs to pick their position for software updates.
1 - Early Adopter -- could you send my update first?
2 - Main Stream Adopter -- send my update with the rest.
3 - Late Adopter -- send my update last please.

Talon Dancer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)