I Found This New HS-17 Install Video

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Up to 8 clients and can only have up to 7 stream/recording at a time. Really a shame AT&T couldn't come out with at least something that could compete with the Hopper 3.
Let us use all 11 tuners how we want and that would be a great start.

One reason why I'm contemplating going to Dish. I have 5 TV's, which 3 are normally in use, which lets me use 4 tuners to record, turn on any of the other 2 TV's, now down to 2 or 3 tuners. Might as well keep the HR54 that I have now if I'm going to stay with AT&T.

Up to 8 clients and can only have up to 7 stream/recording at a time. Really a shame AT&T couldn't come out with at least something that could compete with the Hopper 3.

One reason why I'm contemplating going to Dish. I have 5 TV's, which 3 are normally in use, which lets me use 4 tuners to record, turn on any of the other 2 TV's, now down to 2 or 3 tuners. Might as well keep the HR54 that I have now if I'm going to stay with AT&T.
Just use dvrs on the other TVs. The monthly cost is the same.

Just use dvrs on the other TVs. The monthly cost is the same.

If you get the HS17 you can't use anything but the mini-clients, taking one of the tuners.

If you're referring to what I have now with the HR54, I have H25's on the rest of my TV's. I run into conflicts every once in awhile, which is why I was really hoping AT&T would come out with something comparable to the Hopper 3.

Reactions: mdram
If you get the HS17 you can't use anything but the mini-clients, taking one of the tuners.

If you're referring to what I have now with the HR54, I have H25's on the rest of my TV's. I run into conflicts every once in awhile, which is why I was really hoping AT&T would come out with something comparable to the Hopper 3.
I forgot about that. The number one reason to not get an HR17.

Wow, after going thru the video, it looks like its a much longer process to get everything up and running, looks like at the very least, 15 minutes to boot up...
Glad I'm not doing thier installs with the way they push to hurry up and finish, but make sure you do everything perfect mentality.

Wow, after going thru the video, it looks like its a much longer process to get everything up and running, looks like at the very least, 15 minutes to boot up...
Glad I'm not doing thier installs with the way they push to hurry up and finish, but make sure you do everything perfect mentality.
Since it doesn't hook up to the TV now you need use the smart phone log into the app and do everything on their instead of on the TV screen.

I actually just upgraded from the HR54 to the HS17 (Genie 2) and actually am glad I did. Aside from the loss of the ablity to use my HR24 (I plan on using it in an RV) It actually works better than my HR54. Things seem to run alot better. Everything just works including VOD. Alot of times I had to wait 24 to 48 hours and I would get that the on demand content wasnt avaliable. Not with the genie 2. I was able to get to VOD content from the getgo including downloading the Lego Batman movie that I own. I also can now record every Simpsons episode ever and still have room for more content with my hard drive only half way full.

My wishlist is that they would get to working on a release a USB OTA Dongle sooner than later. I tried to plug in my AM21 and the genie ignores it. So I can confirm that It doesnt work. I knew full well going in that I would be loosing this capablity but it really wasnt that big of a deal as I have OTA to all of my TV"s. IT was just a matter of convienence to have it integrated into the DTV guide.

I also wish you could have separate recording lists for each room if desired, or have the ablility to show only certin programs at certin locations. The whole reason why I had a separate DVR in the master is so I could have adult content on it and not have the kids or guests in my home see it. This would be a welcomed feature.

My 3rd request would be the ablity to add an HR24 to an account if desired. There are technical setups where having an HR24 would work. IE: DSWM 30. Playlist sharing was not an issue with the HR54 so I dont get why it would be an issue with an HS17. I also dont share the playlist on the HR24 so it's not that big of a deal to me. For me the use would be the ablity to have it for an RV, but it seems like DirecTV wants you to put it on a separate account if you want to do that. No one has really said why they are doing this, and it's really irritating that you cant add it. I'm hoping this policy changes sooner than later as it's absolutly hurts the company more than it helps. I can also see CSR's getting confused with having two separate accounts at the same address. This policy really needs to change and I would have no problem with them limiting it to one additional legacy box per account. That would solve 99 percent of the conflicts out there.

If they could address these three issues, the HS17 is a really solid box. It works well and I have had no issues with it. All of my wireless clients work great. I have 8 client's connected. 2 wireless 2 RVU and 4 hard wired box's including a C61K.

Reactions: Ely and TermiNader

Yeah ...

Or since the HS17's satellite input is labeled "SWM-15," if they wish to hang-on to their scheme of reserving tuners 8-11 as part of a future plan for tp. channel bonding on the Reverse Band (for receiving multiplexed 4K program streams), then at least do a FW update or whatever it takes to activate tuners 12-15 for regular streaming/recording to compensate.

Last edited:
Reactions: Riverpilot
Would it only be the HR-24 with the DSWM 30? Or could you also have H-24's and H-25's? I think that would be cool doing it that way.

I actually just upgraded from the HR54 to the HS17 (Genie 2) and actually am glad I did. Aside from the loss of the ablity to use my HR24 (I plan on using it in an RV) It actually works better than my HR54. Things seem to run alot better. Everything just works including VOD. Alot of times I had to wait 24 to 48 hours and I would get that the on demand content wasnt avaliable. Not with the genie 2. I was able to get to VOD content from the getgo including downloading the Lego Batman movie that I own. I also can now record every Simpsons episode ever and still have room for more content with my hard drive only half way full.

My wishlist is that they would get to working on a release a USB OTA Dongle sooner than later. I tried to plug in my AM21 and the genie ignores it. So I can confirm that It doesnt work. I knew full well going in that I would be loosing this capablity but it really wasnt that big of a deal as I have OTA to all of my TV"s. IT was just a matter of convienence to have it integrated into the DTV guide.

I also wish you could have separate recording lists for each room if desired, or have the ablility to show only certin programs at certin locations. The whole reason why I had a separate DVR in the master is so I could have adult content on it and not have the kids or guests in my home see it. This would be a welcomed feature.

My 3rd request would be the ablity to add an HR24 to an account if desired. There are technical setups where having an HR24 would work. IE: DSWM 30. Playlist sharing was not an issue with the HR54 so I dont get why it would be an issue with an HS17. I also dont share the playlist on the HR24 so it's not that big of a deal to me. For me the use would be the ablity to have it for an RV, but it seems like DirecTV wants you to put it on a separate account if you want to do that. No one has really said why they are doing this, and it's really irritating that you cant add it. I'm hoping this policy changes sooner than later as it's absolutly hurts the company more than it helps. I can also see CSR's getting confused with having two separate accounts at the same address. This policy really needs to change and I would have no problem with them limiting it to one additional legacy box per account. That would solve 99 percent of the conflicts out there.

If they could address these three issues, the HS17 is a really solid box. It works well and I have had no issues with it. All of my wireless clients work great. I have 8 client's connected. 2 wireless 2 RVU and 4 hard wired box's including a C61K.
I agree with everything you posted here...
I too use a hr24 in the MY and I will Not be changing to the HS17 unless t hey make it so you can use both on one account

I agree with everything you posted here...
I too use a hr24 in the MY and I will Not be changing to the HS17 unless t hey make it so you can use both on one account
I wonder if DTV will change the policy if they see a lot of customers not upgrading to the HS-17? Or decide for the Genie 3 it will output to 4k over HDMI? I thought about upgrading but I think I am changing my mind. I keep forgetting that it still has the same interface. The only reason to upgrade might be for 4k but the HR-54/C61k can do that. Or if you would be able to only get the new interface whenever it launches and if it would only run on the HS-17 and above?

Reactions: pagbuya
your also forgetting about timers
with multiple dvrs, you can have more than 100 timers
the 100 timer limit need to go

So does the 17 talk to mini clients wirelessly for video and how reliable is that? That sure would make life easier. Other than that, I see no point to it until there is 4K live content regularly.

hs17 has wireless video bridge built in, so it can do wireless clients

however there are no wireless 4k clients, well not yet anyway

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts