I got equipment, now need aiming help

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Ok, I got the Satfinder program....thanks.

I'm having a tough time getting any signals other than AMC5, guess I'll wait till the rain is over...I'm soaked.

When pointing at IA5, I'm getting locks only two of the transponders:

#4 11.867-V-22.000
#12 12.115-V-22.425

I get locks of 53-59%, but it doesn't find any TV or Radio channels...it scans the "locked freqs, but no channels for some reason...

I'm having problems with IA5 as well...

When I go to the scan menu in the antenna setup, it says it scans 16 different transponders or something. Out of those 16, only two are super strong signals.... #4 and #12.

#4 gets 66% and #12 gets 73% lock...but still it isn't populating the TV channel list. What do I need to do to get the signal on all the TPs higher?

And in order to get up to those numbers on 4 and 12 i've done a lot of manual fine tuning on the dish.

zip: 30062

try a blind scan with it set to ALL and see what pops up. Let us know the chanenls that it registers (so we can make sure you are on the right satellite)

How exactly do I do a "blind" scan? I use the scan feature and it cycles through 16 transponders... It shows me two boxes, one for TV and one for Radio...and even when it locks in to 60%-70% signal on the level meter, I don't see any channels pop up on TV or Radio.

on the classic go into the antenna install menu. It will bring up the satellite you are currently on

scroll down almost to the bottm and it say "Scan" and it says "FTA"...scroll and it will say all or power scan (that is what you want...power scan)

Very cool, thanks Iceberg!

I did the power scan and it showed 10 TV channels, now on my channel list its showing 6 channels, and the quality on them is excellent (86-90%).

What can I do now to get the rest of the channels on IA5? The only english channel I see is AON and the rest are asian channels. I hope to get the rest of English and the Farsi channels.

thanks!

you're on the wrong satellite. You are on G3 (which is right next door at 95)

Move the dish west about 1/4" or so and do another smart scan (power scan)

you're kidding me! I feel like a dummy!

So, I had the receiver set to IA5 in the setup, it'll still just pick up the G3 channels? Interesting...

Ok, when I get home I'll make sure to fix that.

when you do a blind scan, it doesnt matter what satellite you're on in the menu. Its where you're aimed at :)

Thats why we say to do a blind scan regardless. Then we know where you are in the arc :)

Oh ok, that makes better sense. I hope to get all this straightened out as soon as possible so I can re-attach the motor and start to use it.

Being as how I have some trees in the way, is my 0.3db LNBF sufficient? Or should I look for a better LNBF? This was the "best" LNBF they had when I was buying my setup.

nah. Trees will stop most signals so regardless of LNB it may not work. But just move the dish a little west and you should be set :)

Trees...

You can't get a signal through a tree....but if you can move one way or the other, the signal will go BESIDE the tree.

You only need a hole the size of your dish (and your dish in EXACTLY the right place) to get the signal from one satellite. (bigger hole [clear area]=easier aiming)

Good luck!

Thanks for the tips, I'll try that when I get home. I will also try to cut down as many branches as possible in it's path. Hard to do though, because some of them are my neighbors' trees.

I got IA5 to come in by moving the dish a tad bit west and another power scan. Worked great. I think I am not picking up all transponders since it says I only have 90 or so channels. Guess I need to fine to the aiming, but still its pretty neat.

Are there any particular transponders I need to put it on to fine tune the dish to IA5?

Hopefully soon I will be ready to graduate to the motor operation.

Last edited:
That sounds about right for IA5... You won't get the TP's with the 4 digit freqs. just the ones with the 5 digit ones unless you get a BUD. (The 4 digit ones are C band, the 5 are KU. I also believe this is a "Tip from the Iceberg")

90 FTA channels sounds about right. I wiould match it up against Lyngsat and make sure the trnasponders are logged in the receiver

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)