I got jipped!

How does someone run up an $800 balance anyway? Doesn't the receiver stop you from buying more PPVs after like 5 puchases? Even if those were fights or soemthing wouldn't that just be like $300?

Yes I understand but I don't see why I have to be punishned basically jsut b/c a previous user had a balance on the reciever. I don't think it's fair. I would think that dish would want me to have the reciever on my account knowing that I do pay my bill each month and I am not the account holder who ran up the bill, plus my accoutn is always in good standing. I jsut see know point in telling a customer that they can't activate a reciever on their account just because a previous account holder ( Who lied and swore up and down the reciever was clear) had a previous bill. Does anyone thing that this should be my fault, it's not me that ran up the $800 bill. All I did was pay for the reciever on amazon.com and was hoping to get it on my account, I guess that is jsut how dish is which sucks!

I'm sorry, but this post made me laugh.
You might not have done anything wrong by buying the receiver (though it's your fault for not checking it out first), but Dish is doing nothing wrong by not letting you use that receiver until the bill is paid.

Yes I understand but I don't see why I have to be punishned basically jsut b/c a previous user had a balance on the reciever. I don't think it's fair. I would think that dish would want me to have the reciever on my account knowing that I do pay my bill each month and I am not the account holder who ran up the bill, plus my accoutn is always in good standing. I jsut see know point in telling a customer that they can't activate a reciever on their account just because a previous account holder ( Who lied and swore up and down the reciever was clear) had a previous bill. Does anyone thing that this should be my fault, it's not me that ran up the $800 bill. All I did was pay for the reciever on amazon.com and was hoping to get it on my account, I guess that is jsut how dish is which sucks!

Pearce,

Dish has the policy of requiring receivers with a balance to be paid in full before it can be reactivated for a reason. That reason is people are dishonest, what is to stop subscribers with unpaid balances to disconnect and then setup a new account with the same hardware. This is the main reason for the policy.

As was already mentioned, it is very easy for you to determine if a receiver has an unpaid balance. You need to get the Receiver and Smartcard ID numbers and call Dish to ask if that receiver has an unpaid balance, done. Never purchase any receiver without doing this, I'd never rely on a any persons promise. All they want is your money.

John

As a seller on Amazon.com, I would encourage you to make a claim under the A to Z guarantee. This situation is obviously fraud on behalf of the seller, who should have known the receiver had a balance.
(If you did make a claim, and it was denied, appeal it!)

A balance of $800 can be owed if someone leased receivers from them and did not return them.

That makes sense, but in this case it sounds like the receiver is owned not leased, but still has that high of a balance? Or could it be for other receivers on the same account?

If they leased the recievers and didnt return them they would owe ALOT more than $800.00. I had a friend that didnt return a cable box once, they billed him for $2500.00 for the box

If they leased the recievers and didnt return them they would owe ALOT more than $800.00. I had a friend that didnt return a cable box once, they billed him for $2500.00 for the box

Well, E* couldn't charge you more than what it costs to buy the receiver. And none of their receivers cost anywhere close to that. I think the highest in recent history was probably the 921 when it first came out at about $1000.

If Dish was going to let him activate it after paying the balance due, then it wasn't leased. For leased receivers, they won't let you activate them at all if you end up with one. They have to be returned to Dish.

reciever sold prolly wasnt leased, but if customer had a 722 leased reciever, broke contract, plus ran up a bill, that could easily hit 800+.

100 bucks for a 501 ? damm you got gyped even if it didn't have a balance.Wasn't dish selling 508 for like 29 a couple months ago ?>

You will never be able to use that receiver. Complain to amazon and show them the communication you had with the seller stating that it was clear of any fees. Have Amazon do the investigation and demand your money back from Amazon. What was done is fraud and you shouldn't have to accept it.
depends upon terms of service. If amazon allows fraud protection you may be able to get your money back. However, here's where you may be out of luck. Unless the seller specificaly mentioned and you can verify and document that the receiver must be usable on another account or "redeployed" you could be out of luck because you received the merchandise the seller promised. A Dish network 501 receiver that is in good working order.
The receiver works. So amazon may tell the buyer that they don't have an actionble complaint.
Ebay works like this. If you the buyer does not get the merchandise that he paid the seller for, ebay will refund the buyer's money and then go after the seller.
I think the buyer here is out of luck. I know of exactly zero times Dish has activated a receiver that had a balance on it.
Plus this person dramatically overpaid for this receiver.

Your account status isn't at issue here. it is the status of the other guy's account. Dish does not know who you are. You couold swear on a stack , give them all kinds of info blah blah blah. They are not going to activate a receiver that has an unpaid balance.
You are not being punished. it is not Dish's concern nor is it that company's responsibility to monitor the purchases of their customers.
Suppose a person got that reciver as stolen property? Would you like it if someone stole your stuf and then was able to use it and ytou get stuck holding the bill? Or suppose yo udcided to deafult on your account and keep the EQ. Then you decided to fraudulently start a new account and say you bought it and wanted it cleared. Is that fair? No ,it isn't. SO the rule is hard and fast. No activations of EQ with balances. Next time ,buy the EQ thru the proper retailers/ dealers. Sort of like the ones on here who advertise right here on this site..

Well I own all of my equipment ( not stolen period and account is ALWAYS paid) I am a legit subscriber I have the America's Everything Pack (BTW this package rocks).. I am have no contract, I have never been in a contract from the start.. Anyways I called Dish and they are sending me a Dish DVR 510 for $100 after I got and instant $100 off plus I didn't have to sign a contract, So I am still contract free and will now have a brand new DVR 510 for just $100.. Ya gotta love dish hehe

Well I own all of my equipment ( not stolen period and account is ALWAYS paid) I am a legit subscriber I have the America's Everything Pack (BTW this package rocks).. I am have no contract, I have never been in a contract from the start.. Anyways I called Dish and they are sending me a Dish DVR 510 for $100 after I got and instant $100 off plus I didn't have to sign a contract, So I am still contract free and will now have a brand new DVR 510 for just $100.. Ya gotta love dish hehe
ok..If you'd have done this in the first place ,this discussion and the silly garbage you went thru would not have taken place.
I am glad you got your DVR.These ripoffs are the reason why sites such as ebay ,craig's list and soem of the others do not get my business.
There is always some crook out there who wants to rip off the public. Until these sites can give me absolute purchase protection, they'll have to look elsewhere for business.

Everybody keeps assuming the seller was a cheat. When I disconnected, DISH assesed a non-return of lease fee of $400 on my owned 622. I complained three times, and ther result was assessing the fee a second time, yielding an $800 bill. I finally had to escalate to ceo@dishnetwork, and fax the invoice before this got cleared up. Several others on this board, including the owner of dishstore.net have reported having this happen with their owned units.

Talk to the seller, and don't accuse him of stealing when it just as easily could just be DN incompetence.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts