I got legs!!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

PopcornNMore

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 20, 2005
Gibsonia, PA
I finally found a company that was able to get me the feedhorn support legs I needed for my Channel Master 1.2m satellite dish. They are called Future Vision Satellite. http://www.futurevisionsat.citymax.com/index.html

Channel Master 1.2m Satellite Dish Reflector - $10
Channel Master KU-Band Feedhorn with LNB Holder - $30
Channel Master 1.2m Feedhorn Support Legs - $20
(2) Cans of Flat White Spraypaint - $8
Parts for Custom Mount to fit SG2100 H-H Mount - $10

Total dish cost: $78 (Retails for over $500) :)

Not at all bad! My Channel Master 1M cost $75 local pickup, the non-penetrating roof mount was $50, and the Fortec FSKUv .4 LNB was $17....

Tron

I have four more Channel Master 1.2m and four StarBand reflectors resting in my garage that I bought for $10 each. I am itching to install more of them after I am done with the first, but my wife might file for a divorce. :)

I wish I were close enough to where you got those dishes to get a couple from that guy as well. Unfortunately, Melbourne is pretty far to drive from New Orleans just to pick up dishes :) But it would be nice, considering you found a source for the parts.

I may order the matched feedhorn for my 1M dish and go with the Invacom C-120 when I upgrade :D

I'm getting anywhere from 43-60 quality on The Tube's transponder with a Fortec FSKUv .4 LNB without the matched feedhorn. I get 60 -75 on the other transponders on G10R, and 99 on 12114! Found G10R in less than 5 minutes. These Channel Masters are nice dishes.

Tron

Tron,
This place in Melbourne has hundreds of dishes ranging from 18 inches to 12 feet in diameter for only $10 each. My mouth was watering. :) Everytime I go on a business trip there, my wife knows that I will be coming home with at least one more dish. :)

I have read that a matched feedhorn really helps pull in the signals and sees 100% of your dish. Without a matched feedhorn it may only see 1m of the dish and still get a good signal strength, but the signal strength would be higher if it saw the total 1.2m of the dish as in my case.

I have also read that an offset antenna often has a higher gain than a prime focus antenna due to the feed supports being in the way on the prime focus. The Channel Master dishes are made really well and keep their shape. This also gives a higher signal strength compared to a UPS shipable mesh dish of simular size. This said, I am hoping my Channel Master 1.2m dish on C-Band works as good as a standard 5 or 6 foot UPS shipable mesh dish. I believe it will, I just need to experiment a little after I finish building my mount for the dish.

too bad melbourne is so far from tampa (118 miles) otherwise i would have my father drive over and grab me a couple of those 1.2 meter dishes and bring them up when he comes to visit this summer.

Popcorn,

Didn't you mention that the guy also had some FTA receivers that were used at a broadcast facility? If those are broadcast quality equipment, they're possibly worth quite a bit. Many of the pro DVB receivers will get 4:2:2... Also, I own lots of broadcast equipment, and can attest to the fact that the stuff is built like a tank.

Hmmmmm... I have relatives near Melbourne... Maybe I could get them to pick up a couple of 1.2's and drag them here next time they visit :D

Tron

PopcornNMore said:
Tron,
This place in Melbourne has hundreds of dishes ranging from 18 inches to 12 feet in diameter for only $10 each. My mouth was watering. :) Everytime I go on a business trip there, my wife knows that I will be coming home with at least one more dish. :)

I have read that a matched feedhorn really helps pull in the signals and sees 100% of your dish. Without a matched feedhorn it may only see 1m of the dish and still get a good signal strength, but the signal strength would be higher if it saw the total 1.2m of the dish as in my case.

I have also read that an offset antenna often has a higher gain than a prime focus antenna due to the feed supports being in the way on the prime focus. The Channel Master dishes are made really well and keep their shape. This also gives a higher signal strength compared to a UPS shipable mesh dish of simular size. This said, I am hoping my Channel Master 1.2m dish on C-Band works as good as a standard 5 or 6 foot UPS shipable mesh dish. I believe it will, I just need to experiment a little after I finish building my mount for the dish.
are you talking about melbourn, australia, or a melbourn here in usa?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)