I got screwed from a ebay purchase 9000hd

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Comptech

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 26, 2006
Travelers Rest SC
I just received my diamond 9000hd from a ebay seller. It was sold as new. Guess what I fire it up and it goes to a d*sh network channel. Check the firmware and suprise! ver 131 hackware. I know I can't go back to factory now or I will lose audio forever. I sent a e-mail to the seller promptly telling him to make it right before I go to Paypal and dish.When I get home tonight I will see if the unit even works at all because I don't have time to set it up for my sats during my lunch break. Wish me luck and if anybody wants the sellers name PM me so no one else gets scammed.:mad:

why would you lose audio if you install a factory firmware file?
Bad Hack Ware

You do not lose audio forever, you're just stuck using 131P.
If you load Factory, no sound, when you reload 131P the sound will work.
Only issue with 131P may be a video flicker, but that was an HDMI connection, try an HD channel via Component Cables.

I would not even mess with trying to change it back to factory software (unless you really got a great price). Since the factory software is not on the machine the warranty is void. Get the seller to make good or go to ebay and/or paypal.

I think that while you are "dickering" with the seller, you need to find out whether the receiver works with the current firmware in it. The 131p firmware will soon be, if not already, outdated. Meaning that it won't decode the encrypted channels, once it's out of date.
If the firmware works for FTA, then you , at least , have THAT fact to fall back upon.
I frequently switch my Merc II from the factory firmware, 1.53 to the last pirate firmware, 7.53 , just to see if in a particular instance, one is better than the other.
In general, I'd think that factory firmware would be more efficient , since it doesn't have to contain the decryption algorithms running in a pirate box, but I'd bet that THAT is not always the case. A sad fact is that most of our boxes have not had any needed improvements since they were released. Both the Merc II and IV200 are exceptions to that general rule . Both of those receivers have been improved through several releases of firmware. The pirate stuff is updated so often , that somewhere along the line, actual improvements are added that would benefit US . See if work, but check out it's functionality is my advice .

:)

Here is the e-mail response from the seller.
Hi Nick as to your email. I purchased this person from another individual and as to my knowledge is new. I only purchased because was at a decent price and to sell and make a little money. As far as the software or channels I dont know what is installed. I don't know anything about signal or quality, so sorry cant help there. As to your request I will not be able to issue a refund or to send a new unit. You may contact paypal or dishnetwork if you wish. I did not list a 7 day refund on ebay, and there is a signature of reciept. I also have legitimate dish network and have had it for several years now and do not plan on cancelling. So I am sorry but I cannot issue a refund or send another reciever. My honest best suggestion is if you no longer want the reciever is to simply post it back on ebay and sell it. The item is still worth more than you payed for it so you may even recieve profit.

Now he is trying to convince me it is worth more than the $250 I paid for it, hell I can relist it as new and sell it for more!Looks like I may have to take this one a little further.Anybody have dishes signal integrety number?

I think that while you are "dickering" with the seller, you need to find out whether the receiver works with the current firmware in it. The 131p firmware will soon be, if not already, outdated. Meaning that it won't decode the encrypted channels, once it's out of date.
If the firmware works for FTA, then you , at least , have THAT fact to fall back upon.
I frequently switch my Merc II from the factory firmware, 1.53 to the last pirate firmware, 7.53 , just to see if in a particular instance, one is better than the other.
In general, I'd think that factory firmware would be more efficient , since it doesn't have to contain the decryption algorithms running in a pirate box, but I'd bet that THAT is not always the case. A sad fact is that most of our boxes have not had any needed improvements since they were released. Both the Merc II and IV200 are exceptions to that general rule . Both of those receivers have been improved through several releases of firmware. The pirate stuff is updated so often , that somewhere along the line, actual improvements are added that would benefit US . See if work, but check out it's functionality is my advice .

:)

The fact is it was sold as new.Evenn though hackware can have some advantages I would like a box that could have factory software put on it. This one cannot. If it it sold as new it should be new!

"The fact is it was sold as new.Even though hackware can have some advantages I would like a box that could have factory software put on it. This one cannot. If it it sold as new it should be new!"

You should certainly go to PayPal and get your money back ! Personally, all my PayPal transactions are through American Express. I have had to , on occasion, write American Express with the transaction details and instructions to back charge the amount. I've never had a problem that wasn't solved this way. It's a pain in the a** to have to go through the steps, but afterwards it's pretty satisfying to know that you are in charge .
Good Luck.

Here is the e-mail response from the seller.
Hi Nick as to your email. I purchased this in person from another individual and as to my knowledge is new. I only purchased because it was at a decent price and to sell and make a little money..... As to your request I will not be able to issue a refund or to send a new unit.

People who deny ever having used an FTA receiver especially when they list it on Ebay are too commonly dishonest , all to common are the " I picked this up at a Garage sale or resale shop " " got this from a friend of a friend " and so on.

Not having the original factory firmware isn't the end of the world , eventhough your unit has certain issues if you were to change it back . I'd be more upset if I bought a clone that could die from any firmware changes.

I have bought 4 FTA receiver units on Ebay and 2 of them had hackware on it , one was lightly used (I believe it) and the other made no mention of new or used and had the typical specifications listed in the description.

Could The ebay seller meet you half way and send you the cash difference since he says he was just selling it to make a profit , though from the sound of it he sounds like a take the money and run type of guy.

Contact Paypal and see what they can do for you , regardless if the seller claims he had no knowledge if the item was new , he should have just said so in his description , keep your e-mails and don't let this bump in the road make your FTA experience a bitter one.

BTW my first ever receiver bought on Ebay was a clone (according to Pansat), the sellers response was well it works doesn't it , he was local and gave me my money back after I called his wife :eek: .

Look at the sellers feedback score and buying and selling habits , you might find that he has recently purchased the same unit he sold you or a different FTA receiver (he supposedly has a paid subscription and claims to know nothing right) , might give you a little more ammunition when you contact him again.

Good luck and keep us posted.

I just filed a dispute with paypal we will see what happens. tommorow morning I will dispute it with the credit card company also.I hate to be a pain in the butt, but if listed as new it should be new.

he listed it as new, and obviously it is not. with SNAD complaint, you will still be responsible for shipping it back. you will receive a full refund for what you paid, but you will be out the return shipping.

IDK, he may be telling the truth. for what you paid, though, i would definitely return it. better to be out $10 than $250.

i bought one for $100 total. i am still waiting for it to arrive (thanks ike) but will not be surprised if i face the same issue as you.

the main point is that the 131 firmware is better for a few reasons: USB transfer of ch data, entering dvb-s2 8psk and qspk info, watching recordings, and a couple other things.

The factory firmware is outdated... but the 131p uses some of the newer features that were released for the euro version.

diamond has not has a hack bin in 6 weeks, so lots of people will be selling and it is now one of the few receivers that is TRUE FTA only

By the way the seller is crazykevin357 aka Kevin Liang be aware when on Ebay

Correction - seller is crzykevin357

Looks like you bought the first item he has ever sold and he has a pretty clean slate otherwise , I see no recent history of him buying anything incriminating .

i4tas has made a pretty good argument for the 131 firmware , I have no problem with his description ....... I'd still like to be lucky enough to pick one up for $100 , good job empiretc

Bad Hack Ware

You do not lose audio forever, you're just stuck using 131P.
If you load Factory, no sound, when you reload 131P the sound will work.
Only issue with 131P may be a video flicker, but that was an HDMI connection, try an HD channel via Component Cables.

Call me slow but I still don't understand why you can't reload factory firmware and have an FTA only box. Is it because the factory firmware is flawed or did the hackware do something bad to the receiver?

My first FTA receiver I got for nothing because someone botched the firmware when trying to load hackware into it. I had to go as far as to build a special device (jtag) to flash it back to factory firmware but everything was ok. There must be something I'm missing.
I just got a Coolsat 5000 platinum from E-bay for about $16 plus shipping and my guess is that it will have something other than factory firmware on it but for the price, I'm willing to do a little work to make it work. We'll see when it gets here.

I agree that if it was sold to you as "new" that it should be new with factory firmware but for the price you paid.........I dunno, I'd be willing to do a little work to make things right with it. Unless of course I'm still missing something.

Paypal isn't going to do anything for you. hopefully you paid with a credit card, as your credit card company WILL take care of the issue. Paypal only wants to see a delivery conf #. They don't care if you received a box of rocks, they just want that conf #. Likely, the money is out of the guy's paypal account anyhow, and there's nothing for them to return - in which case even if you won your dispute, it'd still be "oops.. sorry... no funds".

Work with your credit card company and you will get a refund. Also consider getting his contact information and calling and "harrassing" him and everyone in his home that will answer. Make it very clear that you are upset at his fraud and the illegal device he sent you. If he sent it via USPS, file mail fraud against him. Call DishNetwork and report him (they won't care, but what the heck). And finally, if you have a friend who works for a law firm, have them draw up a draft complaint against the guy and offer to share your complaint with him before filing it (seeing a legal document sometimes scares these fools into following through)

As far as keeping the box, I hate the idea of keeping something that is permanently "scarred"... it's like buying a new car that gets delivered with a crunched fender. It's NEVER going to be quite the same as new... sure, some might think it looks close, but you'll know... and eventually something will start rattling loose and come back to haunt you. In this case, you have a real problem since you cannot go back to using it as a 100% legit receiver without the fear of breaking it due to the messed up hacked firmware that won't let you get it back to factory fresh... that's worth a LOT, and can't simply be swept under the rug.

Good luck in getting this resolved!

Call me slow but I still don't understand why you can't reload factory firmware and have an FTA only box. Is it because the factory firmware is flawed or did the hackware do something bad to the receiver?
The 131P Hackware makes a change to the system that reloading the Factory Firm does not return.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)