I hate DirecTV

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I dont actually love or hate them.
I think they put out a good product, and I enjoy it.
Good point! Both satellite companys piss me off!. I never thought I'd say this but ,I'm thinking of switching to cable. But I may still keep D* as well as cable. IF I do it! I keep calling to cancel Dishnetwork ,and they keep giving me free months. Last time free HBO Cinemax and Starz,for 3 months, Now free Dish HD only for 3 months. So I guess I got them for 3 more months! So now I'm paying about $18 a month to keep them . They keep saying "wait, The new HD will be worth the wait!" What ever that means.

Basically, the shorter the tube; the stronger it is.....basic engineering and basic horse sense.
Tubing strength doesn't vary by the length of the tubing. While what you were trying to say is true, what you said isn't. The ability to support a load goes down with length in a cantilevered scenario.

As a matter of interest, the Section Modulus of 2" 18ga tubing is 1.27 times greater than that of 1-5/8" tubing with a 16ga wall. Resistance to twisting is also much higher. The 2" tubing is actually stronger all the way around (except for resistance to crushing).

In both cases, the mounting base will probably give before the tube does. Remember also that the behemoth mount is supposed to be bolstered by struts.

Tubing strength doesn't vary by the length of the tubing. While what you were trying to say is true, what you said isn't. The ability to support a load goes down with length in a cantilevered scenario.

As a matter of interest, the Section Modulus of 2" 18ga tubing is 1.27 times greater than that of 1-5/8" tubing with a 16ga wall. Resistance to twisting is also much higher. The 2" tubing is actually stronger all the way around (except for resistance to crushing).

In both cases, the mounting base will probably give before the tube does. Remember also that the behemoth mount is supposed to be bolstered by struts.

There you go again with the crap about the 5 lnb dish being a behemoth! When will you grow up and knock it off? Besides, why should we believe you? Your posts at dbstalk regarding drag weren't exactly accurate, either.

There you go again with the crap about the 5 lnb dish being a behemoth! When will you grow up and knock it off? Besides, why should we believe you? Your posts at dbstalk regarding drag weren't exactly accurate, either.
I agree. It is a little bigger than the HD dish that E* is installing now, but not by much. It is also the exact same size (heck it is the same dish) as E*s superdish.

I just dont see where anyone would have much of a problem with it. My superdish went through Ivan and Katrina, and a few other smaller hurricanes without so much as a repeak. The slimline has stood up to some pretty severe winds also.

Hmm that stinks.. Well might try Dish Network see what they can offer you.. :)

There you go again with the crap about the 5 lnb dish being a behemoth!
Perhaps your protestations would hold some water if you could cite examples of currently distributed DBS dishes that are larger than the DIRECTV 5LNB dishes.
When will you grow up and knock it off?
When will you grow up and live with the fact that the Slimline is currently one of the largest dishes on the market (save perhaps the DIRECTV International dish).
Besides, why should we believe you? Your posts at dbstalk regarding drag weren't exactly accurate, either.
I haven't seen you offer anything quite so considered or even worth discussing. All you seem to have offered is your own personal slant on me and/or my posts.

Nobody seems to be confusing what I mean when I refer to the behemoth dishes. They're large, the LNB assembly is quite large, they use a larger diameter mounting mast and DIRECTV recommends that they be installed with supports over and above the mounting mast.

The main reason that I don't use the 5LNB terminology is that to the untrained eye, the AT-9 and AU-9 would appear to be 3LNB dishes.

Perhaps your protestations would hold some water if you could cite examples of currently distributed DBS dishes that are larger than the DIRECTV 5LNB dishes.When will you grow up and live with the fact that the Slimline is currently one of the largest dishes on the market (save perhaps the DIRECTV International dish).I haven't seen you offer anything quite so considered or even worth discussing. All you seem to have offered is your own personal slant on me and/or my posts.

Nobody seems to be confusing what I mean when I refer to the behemoth dishes. They're large, the LNB assembly is quite large, they use a larger diameter mounting mast and DIRECTV recommends that they be installed with supports over and above the mounting mast.

The main reason that I don't use the 5LNB terminology is that to the untrained eye, the AT-9 and AU-9 would appear to be 3LNB dishes.

I think the ONLY reason you refer to the 5 lnb dish the way you do is to bash Directv. I would guess that 50% of your posts are negative. Just because it is larger than any other dbs type dish doesn't in any way make it a behemoth. It's not even a meter across. I have a 10 ft c-band dish in my back yard. Now that's a behemoth.

49 post now and the OP has NOT responded yet.
He/she certianly got all the people on the board giving thier ideas on the subject.

As far as I'm concerned if the OP hasn't responded, the thread should be closed and deleted.
jmo,

Jimbo

He hasnt even been online since he posted it. Shouldnt we give him a chance to do that before we call for its closure?

He hasnt even been online since he posted it. Shouldnt we give him a chance to do that before we call for its closure?

It's been 3 days, I thought it had been more ...

That said, if I was asking you guys for help or an opinion I certainly would have checked to see any opinions by now.

Thats just my thoughts ....
Doesn't matter to me, it just seems dumb for everyone to be answering the OP and they not respond .

Pesonsally I doubt that he will be back, could be wrong, but it was his first post and many here did not agree with him, so I think he's decided that he was not getting anywhere here.

Jimbo

That said, if I was asking you guys for help or an opinion I certainly would have checked to see any opinions by now.

Doesn't matter to me, it just seems dumb for everyone to be answering the OP and they not respond .

Pesonsally I doubt that he will be back, could be wrong, but it was his first post and many here did not agree with him, so I think he's decided that he was not getting anywhere here.

Jimbo
I would have checked back by now also. However it being his first post wouldnt have much to do with it I wouldnt think. Nor would posters that dont agree, since he hasnt been back to read those posts, so he cant have made a decision one way or another. At least he hasnt been back under this screen name.

I would have checked back by now also. However it being his first post wouldnt have much to do with it I wouldnt think. Nor would posters that dont agree, since he hasnt been back to read those posts, so he cant have made a decision one way or another. At least he hasnt been back under this screen name.

How can you determine that he has not been back online (to this site) at all in this time frame ?

Jimbo

How can you determine that he has not been back online (to this site) at all in this time frame ?

Jimbo
His public profile shows that his last activity was one minute after he posted this thread

Jimbo
I speculated earlier (post # 29 in this thread) that it was a trolling attempt.

I stand by that conclusion!

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts