I hate DirecTV

Status
Please reply by conversation.

hoosierdoc

Original poster
Nov 27, 2005
If it's not an installer missing appointments, it's an installer showing up and telling you that they cannot install your 5-lnb dish because it's in a bucket on a balcony.

They knew I had a bucket mount and setup the date anyway. It was to be a free install and free equipment upgrade. the guy shows up and says it's against DirecTV policy to install a dish in a bucket.

So I go on ebay and buy the thing for $54.97. It arrives, I mount it on the mast and secure the crap out of it with duct tape (had to fit the smaller mast) and metal strapping for plumbing pipe. That very night we had an 80mph wind storm blowing from the south (we face south) and the dish moved 1/3 of an inch on its axis. That was the only problem I've had in three months and multiple storms.

I called DirecTV today to get a refund or credit for the price of the dish I had to buy myself. Surprisingly.... they were less than excited to help. Apparently you have to buy your own equipment to be able to buy DirecTV signal. When you're the only real player, it's easy to be an ass. This is the most recent in a string of bad experiences with DirecTV.

From one hoosier to another, I'm sorry that you're having problems, sad to hear but don't blame the tech. Most CSR's don't know what the hell we deal with in the field. They wouldn't know an LNB from a corncob. They may have you told we do bucket mounts ( which in some cases is ok and works) but it's up to the tech in the end whether it is feasible to do it. And the tech doesn't always know what they are walking into. Each job is different. It sounds like he didn't call you before he came out, because if he had, then he would have known by talking to you that you were expecting a bucket mount with the Slimline dish. At which point he probably would have told you, like I said, that you can't do that. So his fault for not pre-calling you but I doubt he even knew you were expecting a bucket mount. DirecTv doesn't pass much info like that down the chain. Sucks but that's how they work.

That said, you can't stick the slimline in a bucket, duct tape the hell out of it and expect it to work properly, longterm. That dish is too big, too heavy, and too sensitive to alignment changes that it simply cannot be put in a bucket and made to work correctly unless the bucket itself is somehow mounted or bolted down.

2nd, how can you expect a refund from DirecTv, for a dish that you yourself bought and installed? That's not their fault that you bought it on your own. The guy TOLD you he couldn't do it in a bucket mount but you proceeded to go about it your own way and do it anyway. So that's on you. Not DirecTv.

As for equipment, if you go through DTV everything is leased now so you don't even own it outright. Unless you buy it through a 3rd party and even then I don't think they will activate it if you are a new customer.

Don't be so quick to trash them because of something you did on your own. You were told it wouldn't work right but you did it anyway. Lesson learned my friend.

If it's not an installer missing appointments, it's an installer showing up and telling you that they cannot install your 5-lnb dish because it's in a bucket on a balcony.

They knew I had a bucket mount and setup the date anyway. It was to be a free install and free equipment upgrade. the guy shows up and says it's against DirecTV policy to install a dish in a bucket.

So I go on ebay and buy the thing for $54.97. It arrives, I mount it on the mast and secure the crap out of it with duct tape (had to fit the smaller mast) and metal strapping for plumbing pipe. That very night we had an 80mph wind storm blowing from the south (we face south) and the dish moved 1/3 of an inch on its axis. That was the only problem I've had in three months and multiple storms.

I called DirecTV today to get a refund or credit for the price of the dish I had to buy myself. Surprisingly.... they were less than excited to help. Apparently you have to buy your own equipment to be able to buy DirecTV signal. When you're the only real player, it's easy to be an ass. This is the most recent in a string of bad experiences with DirecTV.

You already explained why DirecTV installer would not install it in a bucket. If they did everytime the bucket moves in a storm or whatever they must come to correct for you.

From one hoosier to another, I'm sorry that you're having problems, sad to hear but don't blame the tech. Most CSR's don't know what the hell we deal with in the field. They wouldn't know an LNB from a corncob. They may have you told we do bucket mounts ( which in some cases is ok and works) but it's up to the tech in the end whether it is feasible to do it. And the tech doesn't always know what they are walking into. Each job is different. It sounds like he didn't call you before he came out, because if he had, then he would have known by talking to you that you were expecting a bucket mount with the Slimline dish. At which point he probably would have told you, like I said, that you can't do that. So his fault for not pre-calling you but I doubt he even knew you were expecting a bucket mount. DirecTv doesn't pass much info like that down the chain. Sucks but that's how they work.

That said, you can't stick the slimline in a bucket, duct tape the hell out of it and expect it to work properly, longterm. That dish is too big, too heavy, and too sensitive to alignment changes that it simply cannot be put in a bucket and made to work correctly unless the bucket itself is somehow mounted or bolted down.

2nd, how can you expect a refund from DirecTv, for a dish that you yourself bought and installed? That's not their fault that you bought it on your own. The guy TOLD you he couldn't do it in a bucket mount but you proceeded to go about it your own way and do it anyway. So that's on you. Not DirecTv.

As for equipment, if you go through DTV everything is leased now so you don't even own it outright. Unless you buy it through a 3rd party and even then I don't think they will activate it if you are a new customer.

Don't be so quick to trash them because of something you did on your own. You were told it wouldn't work right but you did it anyway. Lesson learned my friend.
I have to agree with this. Why would they owe you on a dish that you bought, after the tech told you he/she couldnt do it that way. Did you try to get a second opinion before you went and did it on your own? If not, I dont see where you have any right to a refund.

Gotta say Direc tv has been super to me. I have had dish and direc. Direc has bent over backwards anytine there has been a situation.

They are truely- AWESOME!!!!

I needed a good laugh tonight, this was it. Thanks! :up:rolleyes:

Can you get fios?

Why don't you tell him? Don't you or your sources have ALL the info? Read the op's post; FiOS won't even help this user. Isn't there a FiOS or cable thread you should be posting in to help THOSE users? I am sure they need your very valuable insider info.

.....installer showing up and telling you that they cannot install your 5-lnb dish because it's in a bucket on a balcony.

Strike #1

Really? That's shocking that the retard rigged BS moved; are you kidding me! Strike #2

I called DirecTV today to get a refund or credit for the price of the dish I had to buy myself. Surprisingly.... they were less than excited to help.

See #1 & #2 above and you are at all surprised? Check head for bumps or massive bleeding - STRIKE #3

Forget the bucket......It like a self-righting road marker with a round botton, except it doesn't right itself.

Use a heavy duty Rhon antenna tripod that can be had for $25 at Radio Shack. Then, use a piece of a 1-5/8" galvanized fence post that can be had for about $6 at Home Depot.

Duct tape to adapt the post will never be secure. It too soft and wobbles. Use an adapter like this one that a fellow satellite subcontractor of mine developed and sells on eBay;

DirecTV AT9/AU9 KA/KU Adapter for old 1-5/8" pole - eBay (item 150225695634 end time Mar-20-08 20:01:00 PDT)

The mast mounting bolts allows full adjustment to plumb. The adapter allows the user to maintain the pole completely with the dish marked securely.

If the deck is wood, only one small screw on each leg would keep it form shifting. The same can be done concrete.

If you can't or don't want to screw it to the floor, use a marker to outline the feet, so you can get it back in place if it is shifted by the wind.

We have used this setup successfully in over 90 apartment balcony installs.

The one thing I will flat out agree with is that the installers stick to appointments like an oily rag sticks to a wall. I had at least 2 of my appointments postponed and every other one the installer either came at the end or after the appointment window. At least when they got there they knew their stuff and were smart and efficient.

I remember I was so mad when they postponed my installation for my HD equipment. It was timed perfectly because I think it was going to be installed the day of the first Monday Night Football and I was going to see the first Niners game in HD. Then they delayed it so I had to wait and was stuck watching it in SD. And now I feel even worse since it was only 1 of about 5 games that they actually WON that season and I couldn't see it in good HD quality (not beautiful, since it was ESPNHD after all.)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)