I have a DVD recorder on my laptop...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Cypherlink

Original poster
Mar 28, 2006
The Direct TV unit offers both a USB port and an S-Video port. How do I transfer the imaging to my laptop? I have searched the internet to be sure it wasn't illegal. If you have any advice please let me know, thanks.

I know you could do it in linux with the program 'dd' (and a few other tools, yes, it can be done in windows too), as for the legality, it would depend on the content, and if it was protected or not. Since legality is in question, and the forum prohibits 'hack talk', I will not go into detail, not here, or in PM.

Sorry.

Last edited:
The USB connections are disabled. You need a video capture device in a computer to connect the video output from your Direct TV Unit to the input of the vodeo device and then use the send to VCR function or play the program on the unit and record it on the computer. Hope that helps.

Just clarifying, wouldn't a digital video camcorder qualify as a "video capturing device" if you hooked up the proper connections to your TV to record the signal? Then it would be easy to import into your computer.

Not saying the video capture card is a bad idea, I'm just thinking of a way someone could bypass spending money if they already have a digital camcorder.

Either that or I'm sure there is a way to "re-enable" your USB connections. I don't know how, and I won't ask because of the policy but I bet Google could lead you the right way.

Actually, most new digital camcorders have an analog pass-thru function which converts the analog signal to a digital one. Your PC looks at it as a standard DV video transfer.

The downside of that is that you'll need to transcode the DV to MPEG2 to burn to DVD.

I suppose your idea with a camera that records right to DVD might solve that.

Actually Ganthet, I was *not* referring to a DVD camcorder, just a normal digital recorder. However, I was unaware of the conversion process.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)