I kinda wish the DirecTV Genie's guide had channel icons...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

edisonprime

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 12, 2012
...like Dish Network's Hopper, which also has the show's photo in the DVR listing. Those are some thing I miss about Dish...

Expect a bashlash from Fanboys for this post. It happens to those of us to suggest such a logical and easily-added feature be added to make the guide easier to read.

Similar backlash when someone suggests that a DVR get the basic feature "autotune." A friend of mine and I were just discussing it yesterday as to why nearly every other providers have DVRs that autotune without needing to set a recording for it.

You can do the equivalent of autotune by simply recording the program. It does take up hd space and you have to delete it later, but it is a solution. As to the icons, many have asked for them, but it doesn't seem like Directv is listening. It may be that it is too taxing on the cpu. The dvr can be buggy as it is without adding icons to the mix. Personally I don't see a need for it since I know the channel numbers of the ones I care about, but I can see how it would be a nice feature.

...like Dish Network's Hopper, which also has the show's photo in the DVR listing. Those are some thing I miss about Dish...

Expect a bashlash from Fanboys for this post. It happens to those of us to suggest such a logical and easily-added feature be added to make the guide easier to read.

Not a bash at all, but I don't get the cry for icons ...

I can READ just fine, no need to guess what the icon channel is.

Reactions: Mr Tony
Similar backlash when someone suggests that a DVR get the basic feature "autotune." A friend of mine and I were just discussing it yesterday as to why nearly every other providers have DVRs that autotune without needing to set a recording for it.
Now this would be a good thing ...

Reactions: ejb1980
You can do the equivalent of autotune by simply recording the program. It does take up hd space and you have to delete it later, but it is a solution. As to the icons, many have asked for them, but it doesn't seem like Directv is listening. It may be that it is too taxing on the cpu. The dvr can be buggy as it is without adding icons to the mix. Personally I don't see a need for it since I know the channel numbers of the ones I care about, but I can see how it would be a nice feature.

That is not the equivalent... Auto tune would manually change the channel at the right time. The Directv way only records it but stays where you are tuned.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I'm not a big fan of icons, but I would love to have the option to show 3 hours of guide data like Dish has, options for what you see.

Also would be nice to see more than 6 channels on a screen. Create an option to not show the picture window of a show and have a guide with 9 or so channels listed... Again, options.

I'd like the icons too -- but I've learned to live without them.

What is funny about this is that D* had icons for years before E* ever thought about it -- my original D* receivers were made by Hughes and their guide absolutely blew away anything that E* had at the time (the x000 series and later the 301). They even had a couple of color schemes and were FAST compared to anything else on the market. If I ever need a basic SD receiver for anything (can't think of a reason though lol) I'll just pick up a Hughes F series Silver or Platinum receiver for a couple bucks on Craigslist vs. a D10 any day... if anyone still needs a basic SD receiver, I highly recommend it.

The only issue with the icons was that they only got updated when the firmware got updated -- which meant they went away whenever a channel changed name or logos, and only came back when the firmware got updated (which means by now over half the will be gone and won't be coming back since there haven't been any new firmware updates on these for years).

It seems to be that when D* created their guides, they took a lot more from RCA then they did Hughes.. the later RCA recievers (DRD420's and 480's) also had beautiful guides -- they were very contrasty (default color scheme was black, dark green and white) and easy to read, but they opted for more channels per page with the logos only showing on the banners... you can see a basic resemblance between the later RCA guides and D's software to this day.

This will bring back a few memories...
Hughes guide: http://tv-sets.com/Direct_TV_Guide.gif
RCA guide: http://www.angelfire.com/pr/dsshunters/images/screenshots/RCA_afternoonguide.gif

N

Don't care about icons as I think storing and loading 'em would make the DirecTV GUI even slower. If they had no effect on the GUI speed, I would be for 'em.

Would luv 'AutoTune' for DVRs.

Would like a 3 -HR wide Guide, but would settle for a 2-Hr wide one

I attribute it to that of a Soda machine. When you walk up to it you see all your different soda's are easily recognizable by their logo's. One can easily tell the difference between the PEPSI and the COKE logo or the ROOT BEER or DR PEPPER, etc...

I guess in the sea of text that is the guide, some people are looking for that same recognition.

I attribute it to that of a Soda machine. When you walk up to it you see all your different soda's are easily recognizable by their logo's. One can easily tell the difference between the PEPSI and the COKE logo or the ROOT BEER or DR PEPPER, etc...

I guess in the sea of text that is the guide, some people are looking for that same recognition.

Great post. Lots of money is spent on branding and logos are a huge part of that. The app on smartphones shows logos.. The guide updates on TV should too!

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Reactions: simplexswrhs90
I've heard from several Directv reps that channel logos are planned in a future software update. In the meantime anyone who wants them just keep writing the office of the president. I've even had them tell me they were planning on adding it. What would be awesome is if they gave an option to select text view or icon view in the DVR list and the same with channel logos on or off. This would please everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: simplexswrhs90
I've heard from several Directv reps that channel logos are planned in a future software update. In the meantime anyone who wants them just keep writing the office of the president. I've even had them tell me they were planning on adding it. What would be awesome is if they gave an option to select text view or icon view in the DVR list and the same with channel logos on or off. This would please everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thats great, hopefully its both....
We will know for sure when they start implimenting it in the CE software.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts