I left DIRECTV for DISH NETWORK... (1 Viewer)

Register Today to see less ads! It's Free!
Status
Please reply by conversation.

vismich

Thread Starter
SatelliteGuys Family
Aug 6, 2006
54
0
I left DirecTV for Dish Network a week ago today. I was a DirecTV customer for 6 years, and it was a very hard decession. It sounds retarded to say, since I am talking aboyt TV...But it was. However, trhere a re a few observations that I wanted to share with DirecTV owners.

1. I left because of the awful customer service. DirecTV was the best in the business when they ran thos ecommercials years ago. They are the worst now. They don;t care until you say your leaving...THEN ..and only THEN...do things get done.

2. The Picture Quality on Dish is lights out BETTER than DirecTV. I usually dont notice stuff like this, but it was very obvious.

3. My biggest concern with leaving was losing the NFL ticket. While it was sad, the more I think about it ...DirecTV has to be concerned over the new NFL plans. I mean, they will be telivinsing nationally a Thursday night game, Sunday Night game and TWO M onday Night games...This is in addition to the locals you already get.....

All in all, I am very happy with the switch.
 
Register Today to see less ads! It's Free!

bidger`

SatelliteGuys Pro
Apr 6, 2006
498
0
noyfb
vismich said:
1. I left because of the awful customer service. DirecTV was the best in the business when they ran thos ecommercials years ago. They are the worst now. They don;t care until you say your leaving...THEN ..and only THEN...do things get done.
I haven't found that to be true.

One year ago this month I got a HR10-250 through Customer Retention for $299-$100MIR. When I called in late Feb. to reactivate HBO, I was given the six month rate of $2/mo. for that service, plus $5 off the HD package for a year and Showtime free for 6 months.

Customer Service horror stories aren't unique to any provider and you'll find plenty of ones about E* on internet boards. But hey, as long as you're happy, that's all that matters.
 

Jimbo

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 14, 2005
63,976
4,262
NW Ohio - Buckeye Country
vismich said:
My biggest concern with leaving was losing the NFL ticket. While it was sad, the more I think about it ...DirecTV has to be concerned over the new NFL plans. I mean, they will be telivinsing nationally a Thursday night game, Sunday Night game and TWO M onday Night games...

All in all, I am very happy with the switch.

The onlt difference I see with the ST is the Thursday night game, they've been doing Thursday night for several years now, off and on ....
As for the 2 Monday night games, it will only be once unless something odd happens during the year.

I mostly like going to a game that is important to me after MY game ends, I can drop in on any game late in the game and see whats going on.


Jimbo,

Pittsburgh Steelers
Super Bowl Champions
 

vurbano

On Double Secret Probation
Supporting Founder
Apr 1, 2004
23,813
104
Newport News, VA
Last edited:

vurbano

On Double Secret Probation
Supporting Founder
Apr 1, 2004
23,813
104
Newport News, VA
vismich said:
I left DirecTV for Dish Network a week ago today. I was a DirecTV customer for 6 years, and it was a very hard decession. It sounds retarded to say, since I am talking aboyt TV...But it was. However, trhere a re a few observations that I wanted to share with DirecTV owners.

1. I left because of the awful customer service. DirecTV was the best in the business when they ran thos ecommercials years ago. They are the worst now. They don;t care until you say your leaving...THEN ..and only THEN...do things get done.

2. The Picture Quality on Dish is lights out BETTER than DirecTV. I usually dont notice stuff like this, but it was very obvious.

3. My biggest concern with leaving was losing the NFL ticket. While it was sad, the more I think about it ...DirecTV has to be concerned over the new NFL plans. I mean, they will be telivinsing nationally a Thursday night game, Sunday Night game and TWO M onday Night games...This is in addition to the locals you already get.....

All in all, I am very happy with the switch.

1. In some ways its worse than cable, IMO.
2. Yes I agree, D* has the worst PQ of any provider that I know of.
3. Yes they should be concerned. With more and more national games on Monday, Thursday and Sunday, and then NFLnetwork running the games, ST becomes less and less valuable yet its cost keep going up. Frankly its just the bait on the HD commitment hook for new subs.
 

CygnusTM

SatelliteGuys Family
Nov 13, 2003
73
0
vismich said:
2. The Picture Quality on Dish is lights out BETTER than DirecTV. I usually dont notice stuff like this, but it was very obvious.
I switched in the other direction about a year and a half ago, and I found the exact opposite to be true. Certain channels on Dish were full of artifacts, but I see none of that on DirecTV. I even have a much bigger TV now, so spotting artifacts would be even easier.

Also, my DirecTivo is so much better than any of the crap DVRs I had with Dish.
 

boba

SatelliteGuys Master
Dec 12, 2003
11,350
1,033
Dorchester, TX.
vismich said:
I left DirecTV for Dish Network a week ago today. I was a DirecTV customer for 6 years, and it was a very hard decession. It sounds retarded to say, since I am talking aboyt TV...But it was. However, trhere a re a few observations that I wanted to share with DirecTV owners.

1. I left because of the awful customer service. DirecTV was the best in the business when they ran thos ecommercials years ago. They are the worst now. They don;t care until you say your leaving...THEN ..and only THEN...do things get done.

2. The Picture Quality on Dish is lights out BETTER than DirecTV. I usually dont notice stuff like this, but it was very obvious.

3. My biggest concern with leaving was losing the NFL ticket. While it was sad, the more I think about it ...DirecTV has to be concerned over the new NFL plans. I mean, they will be telivinsing nationally a Thursday night game, Sunday Night game and TWO M onday Night games...This is in addition to the locals you already get.....

All in all, I am very happy with the switch.
1 Directv customer service is still way ahead of DISH. You just haven't talked to DISH's call center in India yet.
2. Picture quality has always fluctuated from one service to another from day to day, sometimes from channel to channel. When you have been with DISH for a year tell us the same glowing report.
3. On this one I agree NFLST is past it's prime the NFL has suckered Directv into a high renewal fee and is now circumventing the contract as much as possible to maximize it's own profit. Looking at your posting history you have already made some complaints about DISH, picture quality/installation and probably you went from SD with D* to HDTV with DISH which would improve picture quality.
Dish Network 625/ Directv 3 TiVos.
 
Last edited:

vurbano

On Double Secret Probation
Supporting Founder
Apr 1, 2004
23,813
104
Newport News, VA
The macro blocking on D* looks very obvious to me. Its far less severe on Dish. Attached are some images from a comparison thread on the issue at AVS. One of the images below of Days Of Thunder is dish, one is from Directv. The one from D* is so bad there is a piece of a guys shirt floating around in the air while the other shot on Dish it remains intact.
 

Attachments

  • sithdtvblock6gi.jpg
    sithdtvblock6gi.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 169
  • Daysofthunder.jpg
    Daysofthunder.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 182
  • DaysThunderDish.jpg
    DaysThunderDish.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 175
Last edited:

FlyingJ

SatelliteGuys Pro
Mar 19, 2005
2,224
0
Bexley, Ohio
V, I use to take you so much more seriously. But, now you are just D* bashing on every possible subject, not just PQ. Your opinions on customer service and the NFL bit stink of bias that I don't even think you really believe. Rave on about the PQ, that is your thing, but the other stuff, please.
 

satjay

SatelliteGuys Master
Pub Member / Supporter
Jun 30, 2005
12,644
808
Michigan
My experience with DTV customer service, has been great, maybe I am lucky. They have offered me discounts when I have had issues, they discounts have been started on their behalf, not mine. I guess as they saying goes," to each their own". I myself left DTV for cable for all of four months, It was a mistake for me that I would not do again!!
 

Fgsilva

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jul 10, 2004
803
0
Vallejo, CA
I also agree that customer service with D* is much better than with Dish. I also got the HD TIvo deal last year, and had been given many discounts, free premium channels, etc. I also really like that you can change your programming online very easily (to remove or add programming). With Dish you can only add; if you want to remove you have to call and then you have to beg for them to not charge you $5 for changing. But, I think they're so "nice" right now because they know the competion is quite hard with Dish now and lots of customers are jumping out of their ship!


Now, with all that said, I still switched to Dish last week! :D I just wanted more HD RIGHT NOW, which DTV lacks and I don't see anything new for at least another year (they gotta do this and that with new sats, blah, blah blah!). Most likely though, since the customer service is better, once they catch up with dish in terms of HD I may just switch back! Gotta love competition!
 

vurbano

On Double Secret Probation
Supporting Founder
Apr 1, 2004
23,813
104
Newport News, VA
FlyingJ said:
V, I use to take you so much more seriously. But, now you are just D* bashing on every possible subject, not just PQ. Your opinions on customer service and the NFL bit stink of bias that I don't even think you really believe. Rave on about the PQ, that is your thing, but the other stuff, please.

If you care to read, I said that customer service is better than cable. And it is. As far as CS of D* vs E*, D* probably is better considering that E* is farming it out to Asain countries. But I wouldnt brag about being the winner in a two horse satellite race. Please direct me to where I said CS was worse on D* than E*? Yeah that CS is a real feather in D*'s cap over E*. Doesnt it make the picture look sooo much better? Frankly I could give a rats ass about CS if the PQ is great.


As far as the NFL goes, ST is losing its value due to increased national games. Those are facts, not bashing and there is no disputing them. ST has been bait to bring in new HD subs for years now. They cannot sell PQ or numbers of HD channels. The typical HD sub signs up for reduced equipment prices and ST for free in lieu of the 3-4 months of TC fees. Then the following year drops ST and a new customer bites on the deal. Without that deal D* would have no new HD sub growth. You would have to be horribly missinformed to sign up without it.
 
Last edited:

FlyingJ

SatelliteGuys Pro
Mar 19, 2005
2,224
0
Bexley, Ohio
Losing it's value to who. You don't get it. There are only three reasons why ST is what it is to subs. 1) You live out of the market of your favorite team. A couple of more national games don't affect that 1 iota. I want all of the Eagles games and I want them in HD. Now there are not 8 eagles games on National this year, but even if there were, 8 HD Eagles games for even a couple of hundred dollars, $25 a game,I will take it, no loss value. 2) Gamblers 3) Fantasy geeks. The object is to get all of the games, I get them all, where did I lose.

Your opinion about CS being on par with cables, to who? You? My CS with cable in the past was beyond bad, but that doesn't make it the rule or afford me the experience to judge it for everyone. On par with cables, says Vurbano, oh ok, if you say so. Who cares. I don't think I have to read your posts anymore. We allready know what they are gonna say. I bet I can pull up hundreds of your quotes on PQ, and guess what, we don't have to read any of them, we know what you think, you just like hearing yourself saying it over and over and over and over and over................................................................................................................................................................... and no one is arguing your point.
 

JamesJ

AKA Stuart628
Supporting Founder
Jul 21, 2004
8,181
26
Akron (Cleveland), Oh
vurbano said:
1. In some ways its worse than cable, IMO.
.

this was the newest comment from you about the service, I know you said in some ways, but that can be very very confusing for people to grasp, most will just take it as cable customer service is better.
 
Register Today to see less ads! It's Free!

vurbano

On Double Secret Probation
Supporting Founder
Apr 1, 2004
23,813
104
Newport News, VA
FlyingJ said:
Losing it's value to who. You don't get it. There are only three reasons why ST is what it is to subs. 1) You live out of the market of your favorite team. A couple of more national games don't affect that 1 iota. I want all of the Eagles games and I want them in HD. Now there are not 8 eagles games on National this year, but even if there were, 8 HD Eagles games for even a couple of hundred dollars, $25 a game,I will take it, no loss value. 2) Gamblers 3) Fantasy geeks. The object is to get all of the games, I get them all, where did I lose.

Your opinion about CS being on par with cables, to who? You? My CS with cable in the past was beyond bad, but that doesn't make it the rule or afford me the experience to judge it for everyone. On par with cables, says Vurbano, oh ok, if you say so. Who cares. I don't think I have to read your posts anymore. We allready know what they are gonna say. I bet I can pull up hundreds of your quotes on PQ, and guess what, we don't have to read any of them, we know what you think, you just like hearing yourself saying it over and over and over and over and over................................................................................................................................................................... and no one is arguing your point.

Tell me. What makes D* customer service Better than Cables?
 
Register Today to see less ads! It's Free!
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Latest posts

Top