I like my 522

Exactly. You just stated it better than I did, thanks. I also was not trying to bash directivo, just point out differences in a thread where the 522 has deservedly caught hell. If I had been one of the first owners of the 522 I would probably feel the same way, as It stands I seem to have gotten in on the tail end of the bugginess. Hopefully.

TuxCoder said:
Right, the car example wasn't a good analogy for the starting post of this thread. The point of the thread is to compliment specific design differences between the Dish DVR and the Tivo. All cars (as far as I know) are supposed to move forward when you put them in "drive".

You've had it for a day Chingon. Give it a week, it WILL start to grate on your nerves, especially since you're coming from a Tivo and ReplayTV. I can't speak for ReplayTV, but my Series 2 Tivo never had any of the bugs I experience with the 522 for a year and a half.

So this 204 update ... last night I noticed that when playing back recorded events I don't think I had any "hiccups". But, when watching the olympics, when I hit the 8 second rewind, THEN the playback started to skip. So, if I was watching what was buffered on Live TV then I was having hiccups. Anyway, today will show whether or not my recorded shows played well was a fluke or not.

This 522 really is a love/hate relationship. Last night was the first night I stayed up really late to watch TV. So here I'm sitting realizing that the playback seems to be working. I'm right in the middle of a show when I pause it to use the restroom. When I come back the stupid disk maintenance is running. I have to cancel it and restart my device so I can watch my show again and immediately I'm soured all over again. Bah. Is there any way to turn off the automatic disk maintenance??

You've had it for a day Chingon. Give it a week, it WILL start to grate on your nerves, especially since you're coming from a Tivo and ReplayTV.

Two days now, but I'll let you know that in a week right here. We never did like direct tv, so I am prepared to accept some bugs until they get them worked out. If it starts to irritate me I will post in his thread. I don't think I had replay tv though, I don't know that that is, unless it's part of tivo.

chingon said:
Two days now, but I'll let you know that in a week right here. We never did like direct tv, so I am prepared to accept some bugs until they get them worked out. If it starts to irritate me I will post in his thread. I don't think I had replay tv though, I don't know that that is, unless it's part of tivo.

Beleive me, you'd know if you had replay tv. that thing was a complete disaster.

When you are watching a program hit record. You will see a button that says "options". Hit it and you should see it.

mrschwarz said:
I have never seen 'Record the whole program'. When should I see it?

I've had my 522 for going on two weeks now. Still haven't experienced the audio drop-outs and video freezing I've heard so much about. And I have used the playback function pretty often. I guess some 522s are touchier than others. (As of last night, I still have 2.03.)

Have you gys definitely ruled out heat as a cause? I keep my 522 out in the open, and the fan almost never turns on. Is this just coincidence?

So far I have lots of praise and little to complain about with the 522. NBR would be nice, as would the Tivo's "I-think-you'll-like-this-so-I'll-record-it" feature, but for my money ($5/month lease), the two-tuner 522 is a great unit.

Mine is out in the open and the fan is running almost constantly... Very annoying... Plus I keep getting those weird discolorations on my recordings. The only way to illiminate them is to turn the system off and go back into the dvr events list and select RESUME... whats the point of a DVR if you have to jump through so many hoops just to watch a program. This thing is not ready for prime time I believe.....

Mine is in a cabinet, but there is a 6 inch box fan blowing directly on it. The box is cool to the touch.

I just thought I would update since tomorrow morinig will be a week since I got the 522. I still like it MUCH better than the tivo I had, I still have had no bugs whatsoever that I have noticed. No audio problems playback or otherwise, pasing then restarting, or rewinding and playing. I just wonder if they did anything different hardware-wise on mine since it's probably newer than a lot here. It came with the 2.03 software and upgraded to the 2.04 a day or 2 later. Since I have seen no bugs whatsoever, It is not grating on my nerves at all.

rolandv said:
You've had it for a day Chingon. Give it a week, it WILL start to grate on your nerves, especially since you're coming from a Tivo and ReplayTV. I can't speak for ReplayTV, but my Series 2 Tivo never had any of the bugs I experience with the 522 for a year and a half.

So this 204 update ... last night I noticed that when playing back recorded events I don't think I had any "hiccups". But, when watching the olympics, when I hit the 8 second rewind, THEN the playback started to skip. So, if I was watching what was buffered on Live TV then I was having hiccups. Anyway, today will show whether or not my recorded shows played well was a fluke or not.

This 522 really is a love/hate relationship. Last night was the first night I stayed up really late to watch TV. So here I'm sitting realizing that the playback seems to be working. I'm right in the middle of a show when I pause it to use the restroom. When I come back the stupid disk maintenance is running. I have to cancel it and restart my device so I can watch my show again and immediately I'm soured all over again. Bah. Is there any way to turn off the automatic disk maintenance??

I just thought I would update this thread since I have had the 522 for exactly 4 weeks now. I did notice something one day probably about a week and a half ago the sync was off on my recordings when I would start them. I would then have to stop and restart and they would be good. This happened on all of the recordings I watched that day. I have no idea what the cause was, but not a hint of it happening since. It's just odd that it only happened one day.

I still record a lot of stuff at night and watch it during the day so it gets pretty heavy use. I delete the stuff as I watch it daily though, so the HD does not get filled up. I pretty much never hear the fan running.

I have still had no problems with hiccups, audio dropping out, skipping, freezes, or any of the other stuff mentioned on this board. It shipped with 2.03 and now has 2.05. I just wonder why I don't seem to have the problems at least some of you seem to have.

chingon,

I'm in the same boat. I have had a 522 for about a month with very few problems--except for last Sunday, when I experienced frequent skipping and sync problems after pausing a live program.

Unplugged it for a minute. Didn't do any good. Did a front panel reset. And then, surprisingly, it got quite a bit better. After a few more minutes, it was perfectly fine. I haven't seen the problem again since. Weird.

Keeping my fingers crossed...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts