I might have messed up...

DevilDogs

Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Iowa
Hi gang, first time poster. I knew of the 0-2-4-6-8 code, what I didn't know was it would download CE software. I thought the only way to get beta code was to be in a beta program (which I'm not). On Feb 9th, I got version 0x59e with Pandora. The next evening, I was messing around with the DirecTV Apps and found one that listed updated firmware. It had 0x5b3 listed, so I forced the download. I didn't know it was beta. I lost "My DirecTV", Pandora, Youtube, Apps, and the ability to force an update. I also had the red guide issue that I've read about on here. I've done many reboots, and have seen several times the prompt that says "Additional software" needs to be downloaded. I've let it complete right away, and still no luck getting everything back (although the red guide issue seems to be gone). As if that weren't bad enough, I did contact DirecTV customer service. They sent it to the engineers to work on.

I decided to do some investigation on my own, hoping to fix the problem myself. I found this forum, and discovered I had beta code. I've read other posts here before, but didn't know about CE.

After reading the FAQ thread, I entered the keyword to turn on reporting. Is this the correct place to post the code it gave me? Here it is:

20120221-1F39

I am using an HR22/100. For clarity I've lost several items under Extras, including Pandora and Youtube, "My DirecTV" just shows a description of what it is, and I've lost the DirecTV Apps. And I can't seem to force an update.

Can I revert back to national? Should I revert back since it has been sent to the engineers? How do I revert?

Hopefully I didn't mess things up too badly.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tim

Hi gang, first time poster. I knew of the 0-2-4-6-8 code, what I didn't know was it would download CE software. I thought the only way to get beta code was to be in a beta program (which I'm not). On Feb 9th, I got version 0x59e with Pandora. The next evening, I was messing around with the DirecTV Apps and found one that listed updated firmware. It had 0x5b3 listed, so I forced the download. I didn't know it was beta. I lost "My DirecTV", Pandora, Youtube, Apps, and the ability to force an update. I also had the red guide issue that I've read about on here. I've done many reboots, and have seen several times the prompt that says "Additional software" needs to be downloaded. I've let it complete right away, and still no luck getting everything back (although the red guide issue seems to be gone). As if that weren't bad enough, I did contact DirecTV customer service. They sent it to the engineers to work on.

I decided to do some investigation on my own, hoping to fix the problem myself. I found this forum, and discovered I had beta code. I've read other posts here before, but didn't know about CE.

After reading the FAQ thread, I entered the keyword to turn on reporting. Is this the correct place to post the code it gave me? Here it is:

20120221-1F39

I am using an HR22/100. For clarity I've lost several items under Extras, including Pandora and Youtube, "My DirecTV" just shows a description of what it is, and I've lost the DirecTV Apps. And I can't seem to force an update.

Can I revert back to national? Should I revert back since it has been sent to the engineers? How do I revert?

Hopefully I didn't mess things up too badly.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tim
Welcome to the Site !!!

Reverting back is done the same way, OUTSIDE of the CE download time frame.

Yes, this is the correct place to post these issues.

Welcome to the Site !!!

Reverting back is done the same way, OUTSIDE of the CE download time frame.

Yes, this is the correct place to post these issues.

Thanks Jimbo for the welcome! I've tried to force the update again, and it looks like the keys are just ignored. I even tried entering the keys as soon as I saw the lights start to circle on the DVR.

Thanks Jimbo for the welcome! I've tried to force the update again, and it looks like the keys are just ignored. I even tried entering the keys as soon as I saw the lights start to circle on the DVR.

Maybe the one your on is the NR ...

IF you have 0x5b3 currently, then you should be able to go back to the other one with the remote sequence.

Just checked, the NR for that recvr is 0x059E, you should be able to revert back to that ...

The HR22 can be a pain sometimes getting it to take a forced download, keep working at it! You'll get it!

From my experience with 0-2-4-6-8, the old boxes need be done at the first sign of the blue screen, this include the HR34. For HR24 & H24 & H25 you start when the blue light returns to the front panel.

I'll keep trying to do the revert. It's odd that I was able to do the force update so easily the first time.

I've seen some other issues tonight. I got the red guide again, and I got a short red bar periodically on TV shows.

I still haven't been able to revert. I've tried several times with no luck. The engineers must have done something though, I got Youtube and Pandora back yesterday. But I still get the red guide sometimes, apps still aren't working, "My DirecTV" still isn't working, and I get a red bar on programs occasionally. Is there any other way to do the revert? Maybe through the front panel instead of through the remote? When I enter "02468", I don't see the light blink on the DVR to indicate that it got the IR signal. So I'm not sure if it's even seeing the code. I've even tried switching it to RF and I still don't see the light blink.

You are waiting till the box powers down completely, then at the first hint of life/light on the box doing the 02468 ?

Sure am. I was waiting until the TV showed the Welcome screen, but now as soon as I see the blue lights starting to rotate, I enter the code.

I should also say that after every try, it says that it is acquiring additional software. I can cancel it, but I always let it go. It runs for so long, that the screen saver usually kicks in. Not sure if it's normal to get additional software after every reboot. Oh, and step 2 of 2 goes pretty quickly, It gets to 7%, then it quickly shows 100% and then to "Rebuilding scheduler list".

IT FINALLY WORKED!!!! It's downloading 0x59e as I type this.

If anyone from DirecTV is reading this, here are a few suggestions:
1. Add in a keyword search code that will allow a person to force upgrade/revert. I probably entered the "02468" code 15 times before it finally worked (I did it 5 times just this morning).
2. Tell the publisher of the app that told me there was a newer version to NOT post CE version info.
3. (This one might be impossible) Put in a prompt when CE code is about to be downloaded.
4. Make it so the force upgrade only downloads CE code if the user has entered a search keyword. For example, make it so CE code is only downloaded if IAMANEDGECUTTER has been entered.

Thanks for everyone's help and patience. Not sure if I'll do the force update again. :)

Well that's just great. I do have 0x59e, but "My DIRECTV" still isn't working, I don't have Youtube and Pandora but I do have Apps, I also still have Misc Options (I don't remember seeing these before I entered IAMANEDGECUTTER). Maybe the stuff I'm missing will take some time to appear. My To Do List only shows items for today. Hopefully the rest will show up later.

Check your tuners, make sure none are on an OTA channel, on my HR20 - 700 I put tuner 1 on TWC SD and tuner 2 on NBCHD E... again as soon as you see a flash of light start it. :)

Also make sure your not on a OTA channel that doesn't have a signal ... I had a hard time with that last night, I had no guide to change a channel and couldn't get to a channel that was working (HR20-700)

Well that's just great. I do have 0x59e, but "My DIRECTV" still isn't working, I don't have Youtube and Pandora but I do have Apps, I also still have Misc Options (I don't remember seeing these before I entered IAMANEDGECUTTER). Maybe the stuff I'm missing will take some time to appear. My To Do List only shows items for today. Hopefully the rest will show up later.

Exactly ...
It takes time for a lot of this stuff to show up.

The Misc Options ONLY appears after you have IAMANEDGECUTTER on your recvr in the search.

The Pandora and You tube typically take time to come in.

Sure am. I was waiting until the TV showed the Welcome screen, but now as soon as I see the blue lights starting to rotate, I enter the code.

I should also say that after every try, it says that it is acquiring additional software. I can cancel it, but I always let it go. It runs for so long, that the screen saver usually kicks in. Not sure if it's normal to get additional software after every reboot. Oh, and step 2 of 2 goes pretty quickly, It gets to 7%, then it quickly shows 100% and then to "Rebuilding scheduler list".
That works for the HR34 & HR21. Not for HR24 or H25. Those are done when you see the front panel light up again.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)