I need a good Universal Remote

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Fizbi

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 16, 2008
Wild and Windy Casper, WY
I was playing with my CoolSat 5000 remote last night and actually got it to where I could control the TV, DVD, and SAT without fiddling with three remotes.

However, it still falls short of "be all, do all" to get some basic functions to work.

Does anyone know of a good programmable remote that can "learn" by watching the IR output from each remote?

It's either "that", or I'm going to glue three remotes to a piece of wood so they all stay together (forever!). :cool:

I have the Universal Remote MX-810 and it works great. It is PC programmable and highly customizable. It will learn IR commands from other remotes. It also does RF. It is expensive but I can hand it to my wife and she can control everything with one remote. Macros work great because with the RF functionality you don't have to point the remote.

Outside of a Logitech ($$$) I haven't known of any that are "good". I'd be interested in such a beast because my Viewsat remote will run my Toshiba TV except for the "Enter/OK" button, making it useless. Won't work with the stereo at all.

I picked up a Phillips learning remote for about $13 at a surplus store I found the layout was horrible. I hated it. I like the four remotes I have better than that one.

Logitech is about the lowest level of programmable remotes out there.

If you're looking for something more solid, reliable, and customizable, look at Universal Remotes. The MX-900 is a great remote. As well as the MX-880 or MX-980 if you want color, but you're going to pay more for that.

For a cheap learning remote, look at the Sony RM-VL600.

I use a JP-1 remote (One For All 8910).

Remotes Home Page

below is copied & pasted from the website:

*** JP1 - PC Upgradeable Remotes!!! ***
It's true, thanks to a chip expert who discovered how to talk to the remote through the 6-pin connector, we can now add our own device codes and do lots of other custom programming, click here for more info. "

Eeeee-gaaaads! :eek:

The prices of these universal remotes is shocking. I had no idea.

I'm going to bolt all my remotes to a piece of plywood and call it good. At least this way, it will be harder to miss-place any of them. I won't have to retrain my family how to use one remote.

Eeeee-gaaaads! :eek:

The prices of these universal remotes is shocking. I had no idea.

I'm going to bolt all my remotes to a piece of plywood and call it good. At least this way, it will be harder to miss-place any of them. I won't have to retrain my family how to use one remote.

Lmao.

I got a One For All 10820 for $30 at Walmart
Controls TV,VCR, 2 DVD recorders right out of the box plus I "taught" it to control my Viewsat Ultra and my remote control floorstand fan

No need for fancy and expensive Logitech type remotes. If the dog eats this one, no big loss just buy another

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts